• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 06:40 PM

My Jeep's rear wiper quit yet again.  Each time I think I have it, then it stops again.  It's something to do with wiring or hatch switches.  I left the inside panel off so I can keep hacking at it.  At the moment it's working fine, but that could change tomorrow.  SO aggravating!

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6977 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:42 PM

Been to Dr checkup today.  Blood test results back from last month's visit, and all good except cholesterol, so he upped my prescription.  PSA test came back negative too.  But I've been having more pain lately, so I asked the Dr about that.  He said with the quite extensive nerve damage in my spinal cord, plus all the nerves cut during surgery that I'll likely have pain for 3 years, maybe longer.  As long as I don't take lots of pain pills, he'll keep prescribing them for me.  I still have 1/2 the 30 pills I picked up the last days of October and took them to show him.  He said I'm managing very well.  There are days I need and do take them, but only when I have to.

This is the 1st time anyone told me I'd likely have pain for 3 years, and sure was disheartening to hear, but still better than being paralyzed or dead.  He did say a lot of the pain coming on now is likely from the nerves regenerating from surgery.

Later when the heifers go to the back 40, I have about 8 rolls of hay to put out.  I have the tractor block heater plugged in for an easy start.

Parts for Steve's brakes come in tomorrow, so I'll get his truck out of the shop soon.  Guess to then go pull the neighbor's John Deere tractor into the shop.  Starter & fuel issues.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6978 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:52 PM

Nerves can take some time to 'heal'. I wouldn't doubt it taking that long. I cut a nerve on the side of my RH index finger back in the 90's. They went in to tie it back together and it still isn't right. Your doing real well on managing the pain without the pills.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6979 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 02:16 PM

When I had surgery on my left collar bone the surgeon said they have to go through a lot of nerves so my left side felt numb. That was back in '11 and although it isn't numb anymore is still feel funny and I get some pain out of it every once in a while.  It does take a while for the body recover from surgery. 

#6980 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:33 PM

I think sometimes they [Dr]] really don't know. Been 22 yrs since I had my big accident etc: and still have thingling etc: in my face and right hip so it's something I've learnt to live with. I know we all wish we could get back to the way we used to be but guess we should be happy that where still here.Sorry to hear about your disheartning news.

#6981 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:57 PM

I think sometimes they [Dr]] really don't know. Been 22 yrs since I had my big accident etc: and still have thingling etc: in my face and right hip so it's something I've learnt to live with. I know we all wish we could get back to the way we used to be but guess we should be happy that where still here.Sorry to hear about your disheartning news.

Yes Larry, I'll likely have nerve damage in my spinal cord that will bother me to some extent the rest of my life, and I too will just have to accept that.  And I'll never be what I used to be even if I didn't have lasting effects, as I'm simply getting older.  The pain/etc isn't what truly bothers me though.  It's the fact that I am not able to do as much that gets to me at times.  I lived a life of doing all I did at a fast pace with no limits, and so much has changed.  Like my GT hobby.....I want to finish Hogzilla and move on to another project, which I have a few in mind. But by the time I do what I need to do each day, the desire to work on hobbies quickly fades due to physical limits.  In other words, my mind wants to do what my body doesn't.  Oh my, I just described "getting older" didn't I !  :smilewink:   I'm sure I'll adjust to the changes.  It's just all too new to me still is all.  Life in a slower lane is beginning to feel a lot better though.  

• MH81, Alc, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#6982 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:53 AM

Yesterday Teresa went to her hair dresser and stopped for me to pick up the parts for Steve's truck brakes.  When she arrived home, I unloaded all the parts, and instantly saw ALL the parts were wrong.  All were for HD instead of Super Duty.  Plus there was no spanner wrench to remove the rear hubs.  I had to take all back to town.  Took forever as they were busy.  Ended up finding they never even ordered the spanner as it wasn't on their order list.  Have all parts in hand except the front rotors and spanner.  Those should be in this morning.  Pretty much killed the whole day yesterday dealing with it.  :wallbanging:

#6983 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 12:38 PM

Yesterday Teresa went to her hair dresser and stopped for me to pick up the parts for Steve's truck brakes.  When she arrived home, I unloaded all the parts, and instantly saw ALL the parts were wrong.  All were for HD instead of Super Duty.  Plus there was no spanner wrench to remove the rear hubs.  I had to take all back to town.  Took forever as they were busy.  Ended up finding they never even ordered the spanner as it wasn't on their order list.  Have all parts in hand except the front rotors and spanner.  Those should be in this morning.  Pretty much killed the whole day yesterday dealing with it.  :wallbanging:

"but sir, my computer tells me those are the correct parts" :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

#6984 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 01:10 PM

Front brakes finished, now to pull the back hubs to install emergency brake shoes, then rear brake pads.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6985 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Daniel, here is a good write up on how to do the back brakes and seals if you need it. I found this site when I was working on mine, hope it might help.

http://www.ford-truc...rake-shoes.html

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6986 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 06:10 PM

Daniel, here is a good write up on how to do the back brakes and seals if you need it. I found this site when I was working on mine, hope it might help.

http://www.ford-truc...rake-shoes.html

Thanks Brian!  Great write-up.  Ran to nearest Ford dealer just a bit ago.  I called ahead and they had a pair of hub seals and just one axle o-ring.  Wanted to get them tonight so tomorrow I won't kill half a day running for parts.  But these seals cost $46 each!  Oh well, I have them.

The rear brake pad carrier had one slide pin stuck solid on each side.  Had to heat to remove.That's likely why the pads wore at a slight angle.  Got the hubs removed easy enough, but as Brian told me when he called today, the OE seal design wasn't designed to come off without destroying it.  The new seals appear like they will come off so as to be re-used.

I should easily wrap this brake job up tomorrow.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6987 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 06:19 PM

And today my first bad bout of arthritis in months came visiting.  All my joints hurt more than usual, especially both knees.  But my right hand feels like someone beat it with a hammer over an anvil!  The odd thing is when I use my hand doing a tough job, it doesn't hurt as much as when simply reaching into my pocket for something.  Simple unloaded movements hurt way more than pulling hard on a wrench!  Seems kind of odd.

#6988 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 06:23 PM

Well, the weather is about to change, so that can cause Arthur to act up. Sorry it is so bad!

#6989 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Yeah, the high humidity, low temperature weather we've had lately has had my knees aching something fierce. I imagine it's far worse in hands!

#6990 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:41 PM

The set of brake pads I bought had new pins with the kit. I used a drill bit the same O.D. as the new pin to clean out the holes. The pads also had new boots for the pins..
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks