• Please log in to reply
8665 replies to this topic

#6946 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 06:52 PM

I'm glad I don't have a backhoe I would get in trouble with one. I would dig holes everywhere like digging for treasure. 

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#6947 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,078 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 07:25 PM

I'm glad I don't have a backhoe I would get in trouble with one. I would dig holes everywhere like digging for treasure. 

That's why my wife won't let me get one!

• olcowhand, Craig. and bbuckler have said thanks

#6948 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 08:12 PM

That's why my wife won't let me get one!

With my neck/shoulders being how they are now, no way I could dig much of a hole without the backhoe!  I hope this coming year to use it again to add a water line to my shop.  I need a frost-proof hydrant down there, and if I can afford to, I'm putting in a bathroom/washroom in the rear of the first open drive of the shed, next to the end shop wall.  I'll have to redo the air line and electric outlet conduit to put in a door to it.  I have stainless steel wash vats, toilet, and an almost new hot water heater from the parlor to put into it, saving lots of $'s.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6949 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Stopped in to see my Uncle Olcowhand and he was having fun on his backhoe. I took a quick video but I cant get it to load on here from my cell :-(
It was great to see you if only for a short time.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#6950 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 08:19 PM

Stopped in to see my Uncle Olcowhand and he was having fun on his backhoe. I took a quick video but I cant get it to load on here from my cell :-(
It was great to see you if only for a short time.

LOL....as your new reply notification came up, I was in the middle of posting of your visit!  Craig had called me asking advice on a wire welder.  I told him I had a brand new one I bought this summer as it was a good deal and couldn't pass it up...plus the seller really needed the money.  He was having a garage sale.  

P_20151229_1004541.jpg P_20151229_1004461.jpg

It has been sitting the last few months, and likely I'll never need it, as I have a 110v 85 amp wire welder, plus a 220V 180 amp MIG.  So I told him to come look at it, & give it a try.  It's now heading back to Indiana with him.   :thumbs:  Was good seeing you too Craig.  Maybe it'll work so you can get to my plow days.

• Gtractor, Alc, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#6951 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,078 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 11:14 PM

With my neck/shoulders being how they are now, no way I could dig much of a hole without the backhoe!  I hope this coming year to use it again to add a water line to my shop.  I need a frost-proof hydrant down there, and if I can afford to, I'm putting in a bathroom/washroom in the rear of the first open drive of the shed, next to the end shop wall.  I'll have to redo the air line and electric outlet conduit to put in a door to it.  I have stainless steel wash vats, toilet, and an almost new hot water heater from the parlor to put into it, saving lots of $'s.

I just dug a 3'x4' hole, just 18" deep, and feel it all through my back and shoulders. I had to dig out the lid to my septic tank, getting ready to have it pumped. I wouldn't want to THINK about just that little bit if I had just had neck surgery!

• Craig. said thank you

#6952 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 11:41 PM

that would be real sweet

#6953 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Busy day!  Ran to Lowes after feeding the heifers and got all my plumbing parts to put in the hydrant.  Had to get home asap as a Farm Credit rep was coming for a very last minute annual visit.  All went very well and easy on that.  Then Steve had his guys drop off the F250 needing brakes.  Switched back to the hydrant and got all the fittings together, welded a mounting strap to the hydrant tube, then drilled into the side of the concrete pad & got the hydrant anchored.  Too late in the day to put the black plastic pipe and test for leaks, so I'll try getting that done tomorrow.  Getting below freezing at nights now, so want to test when I have plenty of time left in the day to correct any possible leaks before temps drop.

Switched back to the F250.  Got all 4 wheels blocked off the ground & rotors removed.  Needs brakes all around including emergency shoes.  Front rotors are shot, rear rotors look decent, but Steve talked like he wants to just replace all 4 rotors and put on all new calipers.  They are original, so 17 years old, and likely best to replace the calipers.  I like it when I work on something for someone & they say to put all new parts on instead of trying to play cheap.  Getting by cheap on brakes isn't a good idea.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6954 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 07:28 PM

Busy day! Glad he wants to do the brake job right!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6955 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 08:53 PM

The physical day caught up with me.  Pain in my neck and shoulders.  Took the first whole pain pill in maybe 3 months.  Usually 1/2 a pill once a day only when really needed.   I've averaged only taking 1/4th of a pain pill per day over the 7+ months when I could have taken 2 per day, so I'm managing the pain pretty darned good considering.  Tonight was a whole pill event.  I needed a lot of pain relief of course right after surgery, then after about a month I hardly ever needed the pills until the nerves in my neck started to come back to life.  I'm hoping in another month or 2 that the pain starts dropping off again.  Dr appointment this coming Monday, so I want to see if all is still as he would expect.  

Sure looking forward to our cabin stay in the Smokies later in the month.  Wanna soak in that hot tub for sure!  I kinda think a hot tub in the corner of the shop would work well don't ya think??  :smilewink:

Within a few weeks, the land/house transfer into my Son's name will be complete, and the related stresses will drop right off my shoulders.  He & I will both feel better and we can truly start our new directions.  He has been working as a temp at his new job till last week when he got hired on as a full-fledged company worker and he gained $4/hour right away.  I had been covering his health insurance, but now he'll have it through his work and I'll save $200/mth.  Big changes to the good for both of us!

Yes, I have high hopes for the new year of 2016.   :dancingbanana:

And I want to again say THANKS SO MUCH  for all the support I have gotten from the staff and membership here during my physical & mental hardships the last couple years.  :thumbs:

• Alc, Mr Electrak, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#6956 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 05:51 AM

Over did it a little, huh? Probably that hydrant issue put it over as I am sure you had to dig some. And I agree on the hot tub in the corner! :thumbs:

#6957 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 10:47 AM

Sounds like a new year for you both.

Hot tubs are nice, I can't stay in one for more than 20 mins or so, I get light headed. They are nice though ton relax in.

I could sure use that little backhoe, I have a fish pond to dig. I had to use a Maddox and spud bar to dig my small one. 

#6958 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 12:59 PM

Got the water lines in but had some threaded fittings leak a bit, so pulled off the lines & re-tightened all.  No leaks then, so put the drainage gravel in, laid over with landscape fabric and started back-filling.  Lunch bell rang, so will finish in a bit.  1st project of 2016 will be finished on New Year's Day!

Slept awful last night, but I refused to get out of bed.  Just too tired to get up.  Feel pretty good today despite the bad sleep though.  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6959 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 05:42 PM

Started the day with a good breakfast.  Most days I just have a packet of oatmeal.  

P_20160101_0925371.jpg

Then I finished up the water hydrant project.  Left it mounded for settling.

P_20160101_1728141.jpg

The unusually warm weather we've had has popped out dandelions.  It's 28 at time of this pic so dandelions are likely done now.

P_20160101_0916011.jpg P_20160101_0916141.jpg

All the auto parts places around here were closed today, but I have everything ready on Steve's truck for new brake parts.  Going to town in the morning for new front rotors, new front calipers, and a set of emergency brake shoes.  His rear rotors are fine, and the calipers are in great shape as well.  Steve dropped off a front & rear set of brake pads he already had at home and we sat in the shop over an hour just chewing the fat.  

Been a nice day.

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#6960 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 05:48 PM

Breakfast looks good! Blackberry jam! YUUMMMMM!

Your grass is a lot greener than ours!