• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 10:10 AM

Was going to do some more moving around of shop related items, but the Cat 910 loader lost it's V-belt on the engine.  Only one belt, so no alternator or water pump movement.  I could get by with charging the battery, as the loader doesn't run long enough to barely get warm, but most places will be closed a couple days starting tomorrow, so going after it this morning.  May have strong storms tonight, but hope we're spared any wind damage.

I've been watching the weather and you guys from mid Arkansas East are under the gun. Hope all fair well!

#6917 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 11:26 AM

No belt in town so they'll have one in the morning. I'll plug the trickle charger in today.
  • Craig. said thank you

#6918 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Till just a few seconds ago, there was a tornado warning in a neighboring county, with that weather heading right towards me.  But they just lifted the warning, but still have a severe thunderstorm warning.  Raining fairly heavy, with lightning approaching.  Good thing is I now have fiber optic phone/dsl/video lines, and lightning usually came in on the copper phone lines in the past.  

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6919 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:50 PM

We've had a few good storms pass though today but nothing in the sever mode yet.  They are saying tonight might be the worse part.

#6920 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 10:10 PM

Who would of thought in December people would be worried about damaging thunderstorms...

At least that's odd go me...we usualy get our last thunderstorm in October at the latest and March at the earliest.

Edit.

Right now at 11:14pm we are getting some heavy rain, thunder, lightening, and some decent wind gusts. I've never seen this before basically a day before christmas. What an odd December. Interesting. If this were snow we'd be buried

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 23, 2015 - 11:15 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#6921 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 03:03 PM

Marry Christmas Everyone!
  • olcowhand and EricR have said thanks

#6922 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hope everyone had a decent Christmas.  I still have one family gathering tomorrow evening, then all is a wrap.

The last couple days I have been shoring up the old original shop on this farm.  It's just around 20x24 and rough condition, but worth saving just for memories sake if nothing else.  The right side foundation is pretty decent, but the rear and left side has concrete crumbling like gravel.  My Grandpa built it with his brothers, but somebody must have been running low on Portland cement.  The left side had crumbled and tilted outward till the lower part of the wall was almost 18" out from plumb.  Was a matter of time till she fell over.  So I welded up metal plate with a piece of channel iron on the back end to hold the 4x4 treated post.  The metal goes over a foot onto the floor where I put concrete anchors to hold in place.  The floor concrete is hard as steel, so Gramps must have gotten more Portland before he poured that. 

I jacked up the building at each doubled truss just enough to put in the 4x4 posts.  Once the 3 posts were in, then I drilled through the 4x4's and the outside wall, placed sections of all thread, then pulled the wall in after I used a sledge hammer to crumble the remaining foundation from under.  Each 4x4 got 2 pieces of all thread.  

The sill plate on the right side of the door was rotted away, and the door corner posts soft as well.  So they got replaced with treated lumber also. 

P_20151227_1339511.jpg P_20151227_1341231.jpg P_20151227_1340141.jpg P_20151227_1338581.jpg P_20151227_1339261.jpg

I will have to put a new foundation under it later on, but for now she's safe from falling over & damaging beyond repair.

The door has a very old sliding door rail.  One of the door gliders is missing.  If anyone has one like it they want to part with, I'd like to buy it.

P_20151227_1340521.jpg

It's mostly memories I'm preserving, so I'd like it as close to original as possible.  The building does still have value to keep and I feel it's a worthy project.  I hate to see things just dozed down.  

I've been working in jeans & t-shirt, and sweating!  2 days after Christmas in Ky and it's 72F outside!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#6923 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 02:25 PM

Looks like a good building! Good for the memories and good for the storage!

#6924 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Glad to see you get that building fixed some! You're only 34° warmer that me!

#6925 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Our temp has tanked. It was 70 outside at 11. Now it's in the mid 40s already.

#6926 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 03:50 PM

I've been working in jeans & t-shirt, and sweating!  2 days after Christmas in Ky and it's 72F outside!

It 42 here and 25 mph winds. The news said it might even be light snow tonight.

Edited by bbuckler, December 27, 2015 - 03:52 PM.

#6927 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 03:57 PM

Glad to see you get that building fixed some! You're only 34° warmer that me!

Our temp has tanked. It was 70 outside at 11. Now it's in the mid 40s already.

Rain moved back in and we've dropped to 60F.  Still nice this time of year.

I measured the old shop.  It's 19 x 22 1/2.  When I was a kid, this was our only shop.  Starting around November, it became the tobacco stripping room.  Had an old coal stove in the corner.    We'd roll in a hay wagon loaded to the gills with tobacco with just enough room left on the front for one person to start stripping.  Within a few minutes there would be room for 2, then 3 people.   Back then tobacco sales kept us fed and gave us Christmas money.  Haven't raised tobacco in maybe 25 years, and I don't miss it.  Not much money in it these days.  Sales this year were a few cents a pound LESS than we got back in the 80's.  Pretty much the same for grain prices.  

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6928 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 04:04 PM

I'm so glad ur saving that building! Alot of memories of stripping tobacco in there, and watching you once build a gocart from scratch, with what I think was a honda 360 engine on the back of it. Never got to see it finished (had to go back home) but thought that baby was going to be fast.

#6929 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Rain moved back in and we've dropped to 60F.  Still nice this time of year.

I measured the old shop.  It's 19 x 22 1/2.  When I was a kid, this was our only shop.  Starting around November, it became the tobacco stripping room.  Had an old coal stove in the corner.    We'd roll in a hay wagon loaded to the gills with tobacco with just enough room left on the front for one person to start stripping.  Within a few minutes there would be room for 2, then 3 people.   Back then tobacco sales kept us fed and gave us Christmas money.  Haven't raised tobacco in maybe 25 years, and I don't miss it.  Not much money in it these days.  Sales this year were a few cents a pound LESS than we got back in the 80's.  Pretty much the same for grain prices.  

We had a single wide trailer with a wood heat stove that we used to stripped tobacco in. The last time we raised tobacco was in 98 my grandpa died that year and we moved to my dad's hometown (Paris). That how my parents and my grandparents bought us Christmas gifts.

#6930 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 04:14 PM

Ho ya and that little stove that was in there, was an awesome little stove, freezing outside 5" of snow and had to opem the big slider door just to keep the temp down lol