• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Rain Rain Rain this morning.  Hoping it stops by noon as I have a cow/calf to get in, and two baby heifers in the hospital pen where they were born that need moving to the calf barn.  Will do some more dismantling in my old personal shop also.  

#677 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Rain Rain Rain this morning.  Hoping it stops by noon as I have a cow/calf to get in, and two baby heifers in the hospital pen where they were born that need moving to the calf barn.  Will do some more dismantling in my old personal shop also.  

I have the same here...

Looking at the radar, it looks like it's going to rain all day. It's showing rain all the way from the Gulf up to Canada.

#678 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Please keep the rain to yourself. We have had plenty here.

#679 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Please keep the rain to yourself. We have had plenty here.

Unless a miracle happens & it breaks up, then you're gonna be getting more!

#680 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:26 AM

Just finished tearing out part of my old work bench & have it installed in the farm shop.  Still raining, so I may move the rest of the bench, in hopes the rain will stop to move the calves.  If it doesn't stop raining, then I'm just gonna get soaked.  I may still have at least part of a rain suit somewhere.

#681 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:29 AM

We're supposed to get some this afternoon.  Today is basically a computer day.  Working on a friends computer reinstalling the OS.  Hope you are able to stay dry Daniel, guess getting wet at times comes with the territory.  :smilewink:

#682 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 01:19 PM

I hope Y'all don't get all the Hail we got out of that system. We had a solid layer of marble size hail on the ground around 2AM Sunday morning.

Maybe it will slack off and let you get the calves moved. :thumbs: :thumbs:

#683 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 03:40 PM

No hail, but the rain hung on quite a while.  Got all 3 calves in nice straw bedded stalls, and all momma cows where they need to be.  Also got the rest of my old work bench pulled out, and all installed in the new shop.  Still need a couple braces added under the new bench location.  Now time to feed silage.

• KennyP said thank you

#684 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:55 PM

Unless a miracle happens & it breaks up, then you're gonna be getting more!

Dang it I don't have quite enough tarps to cover the whole property.

#685 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Dang it I don't have quite enough tarps to cover the whole property.

Grab more tarps....it's knockin on yer door!

#686 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:18 PM

I parked the BlueOx on the high ground. Should make it.

#687 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 02:20 PM

No time for pics, as I have way too much to get done today. First I did the morning milking, then I got the Allis 620 out with my Massey 53" tiller attached and shallow tilled all the area beside our silage pit next to the road to get it leveled & ready to sow some fescue grass seed.  Got it all done, Allis doing a great job.  It was pretty muddy in a few spots and those monster wide ags got her right through it.  The fronts plowed in the mud, but the wide 15.5's never even sunk at all, just staying right on top pushing the front tires through.  Got the grass sowed before the next 3 days of predicted rain.  Got all the 90 cow stalls bedded with fresh sawdust too.  

Have a fresh heifer Josh had to pull calf from while I was gone day before yesterday.  Put her in with the cows to milk & she was good on her feet.  She got stupid when I went to put her in the parlor, spazzed out & went down.  Got her up & back in the hospital pen, then moved 2 new baby calves in with her to keep her milked.  The mean ole B won't take the calves & I may have to take them right back out.  Nutty as she is, I'm not sure how I'll get her milked out now.  Oh well, gotta get back out the door.  So much work piles up when I'm just gone 2 days!!!!

#688 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 03:36 PM

Put the mean heifer in the trim table headlock.  The bottom side rail is quick remove, so after tying the heifer's leg to the rail, she had no choice in the matter....calves suckled till they got their fill.  Tomorrow will be easier, as I can put her in, secure her, then walk away & let the calves do their thing.  They were pretty stupid at first & I had to help them find their way around.  Tomorrow will be very easy compared to today.  Also, I put a divider panel up to keep the calves away from her for the night.  She was head butting them hard before.  Time to go milk the herd now! 

#689 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 04:46 PM

Put the mean heifer in the trim table headlock.  The bottom side rail is quick remove, so after tying the heifer's leg to the rail, she had no choice in the matter....calves suckled till they got their fill.  Tomorrow will be easier, as I can put her in, secure her, then walk away & let the calves do their thing.  They were pretty stupid at first & I had to help them find their way around.  Tomorrow will be very easy compared to today.  Also, I put a divider panel up to keep the calves away from her for the night.  She was head butting them hard before.  Time to go milk the herd now! 

Was beginning to sound like ground beef to me!

My 1st wife grew up on a dairy farm, and I helped a lot too. I can remember many times my ex-FIL would get so mad at the cows I though he was going to know them in the head!

#690 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:46 PM

There is something satisfying in bringing a balky animal to heel :cowboy_shooter: