• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 04:36 PM

I think getting the extra 'goodies' is a sound decision. It gives you the opportunity to make more money!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6827 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:50 PM

If the co-op thing doesn't work out for some reason having the lifts will give you a plan B to fall back on.  Someone with your mechanical skill and experience could do quite well for them selves. Plus I know how much my lifts help me so medically they will be of help as well.  Might as well take opportunity while you have it and worry about tomorrow when it get here.

#6828 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 06:04 PM

Worked on the neighbor's 2002 Ford Focus today.  Would only cough when turned over.  Before looking at it I told Teresa it was likely in the timing belt and it was.  The belt looked fine, but the tensioner failed and it wasn't even turning the camshaft.  Removed the valve cover to make sure no valves were bent & all seemed fine.  So then took the tensioner out of my junked 2004 Focus to check things out.  It doesn't spin smooth as I'd like, but I could test with it.  Got timing set & tensioner on and she fired right up!  His wife picked up a new tensioner assembly a while ago, so I'll wrap it up Sunday or Monday.  I'm going to a Brinly Hardy surplus auction tomorrow morning in Jeffersonville Indiana.  I won't charge him as much as I would most folk, as he helps everybody too, but I gotta get something for my time these days.

• Craig., KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#6829 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 06:07 PM

I think getting the extra 'goodies' is a sound decision. It gives you the opportunity to make more money!

If the co-op thing doesn't work out for some reason having the lifts will give you a plan B to fall back on.  Someone with your mechanical skill and experience could do quite well for them selves. Plus I know how much my lifts help me so medically they will be of help as well.  Might as well take opportunity while you have it and worry about tomorrow when it get here.

Thanks for the support & advice guys.  It does help to get other's input on things like this.

• Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6830 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 09:33 PM

We have a 2003 Focus that the wife calls her puddle jumper. She really likes it and so far it has been trouble free and gets 30mpg. I've seen where the newer models are prone to a lot of transmission problems and would probably stay away from them. 

You mentioned the possibility of bent valves. Is that common in these if the timing belt bites the bullet?

• limebuzz and Craig. have said thanks

#6831 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 10:10 PM

We have a 2003 Focus that the wife calls her puddle jumper. She really likes it and so far it has been trouble free and gets 30mpg. I've seen where the newer models are prone to a lot of transmission problems and would probably stay away from them. 

You mentioned the possibility of bent valves. Is that common in these if the timing belt bites the bullet?

The single overhead cam models (split port) have had major issues with intake seats coming out.  While this engine isn't interference as far as the valves, when a seat comes completely loose, it often causes interference with the piston.  That's why the 2004 Focus we gambled on is junked.  I just went with what my sister-in-law said rather than check it out first.  Turned out the valve dropped, busted the piston and knocked a hole in the head and the cylinder wall.  How all that damage could happen & it never made any strange noises is beyond me.  Now I hear the twin cam model in some of the Focus cars are definitely interference valve wise, so if you skip timing, valves WILL be bent or more.  Cam belts should be replaced every 100,000 miles or sooner.

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6832 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 10:15 PM

Are both the single and twin cam engines the same displacement? Guess I need to figure out what I have so I can keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the information. 

• Craig. said thank you

#6833 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 04, 2015 - 10:21 PM

Are both the single and twin cam engines the same displacement? Guess I need to figure out what I have so I can keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the information. 

Both 2.0.  Easy to identify, as the Z-tec twin cam (interference valves) has the spark plugs in the center of the valve cover, while split port cover (non-interference) is solid, with spark plugs in front of block below valve cover.  The Z-tec engines do not have any valve seat issues, but will bend the valves is the cam belt drops the timing.

• Craig., KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#6834 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:29 PM

Totally exhausted after going to the Brinly Hardy auction.  Came home with my truck & 16' trailer loaded to the gills.  Most will be for selling, with a lot for my own use.  3 new 10hp electric start Briggs 6 to 1 reduction engines still in boxes, 3 new 10" plows, 2 new seeder/thatchers, 4 new box blades with scarifiers, 2 lawn rollers, I think 3 sleeve hitch plain blades, pull behind sprayer, 2 spray tanks, 2 new vertical engines, one used 5hp horizontal, one 6hp slightly used Kohler vertical, new 10 cu foot lawn cart, never out of the box 42" pull lawn sweeper, nice Craftsman 4000 rider with deck (don't think it's mowed hardly at all), an old JD rider without deck but good trans/tires and engine, and a nice power seeder without the slicer shaft assembly.  There is more, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.  I had a good day, but it's been hectic as could be, and I couldn't have handled any more.  Traffic on the interstate was awful! 

• DH1, limebuzz, Alc and 7 others have said thanks

#6835 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:36 PM

Wow! That a bunch of goodies! Where's the pics? :smilewink:

#6836 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Wow! That a bunch of goodies! Where's the pics? :smilewink:

Tomorrow Kenny, but it'll be up in the day.  Church in morning if I'm not hurting from the lifting & tugging, then I need to finish the neighbor's car repairs.  Right now I'm so tired that it hurts.

• Craig., KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#6837 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:57 PM

When we got married Steph had a 200? Taurus with the 200valve OHC high output v6 engine. It had 150k on it and after I did some reading on it we decided it was best to sell it. She wanted Christine anyway. She sold it to her mom who murdered Bambi with it and then traded it on a new Honda. I don't trust those newfangled engines.

#6838 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 07:05 PM

Tomorrow Kenny, but it'll be up in the day.  Church in morning if I'm not hurting from the lifting & tugging, then I need to finish the neighbor's car repairs.  Right now I'm so tired that it hurts.

Just :poke: at you! I'll be :watch_over_fence:

#6839 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 07:15 PM

And a NIB single gang disc.

• limebuzz, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6840 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted December 05, 2015 - 08:52 PM

You didn't get one of the yard rollers? Good for smashing cow pies. Great fun.  :thumbs:

• Craig. said thank you