• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 08:50 PM

I gotta tell you, Daniel is like a machine gun when it comes to giving shots to farm animals. Many moons ago when I was down on the farm Daniel snatched me up for a job, they had a bunch of piglets which had caught a bad cough, and was coughing their guts out there butt, literally. They stood about a foot off the ground and there looked to be about 200 of them, but most likely 40 to 50.

There were 100 of them, at 50+ pounds each.  Pneumonia was going through the whole bunch, coughing so hard that some of them prolapsed their colons.    Had to do the shots for 5 days, and let me tell you it was a hard job.  For those never having grabbed a 50lb pig by the leg, it's like grabbing hold of a giant reciprocating saw.  After the shots, it was an hour or more before the feeling of vibration went away.  Those pigs looked like rainbows after 5 different colors of paint!  Taught me a lot too....like not to raise pigs ever again!

• Gtractor, Craig., Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#6707 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 09:35 PM

LOL Thats right I dont remember u all ever having pigs again lol
  • olcowhand said thank you

#6708 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 10:39 PM

When I first moved out here my father in-law was nearing retirement. He had gotten behind on chores with the pigs. One day I got called up for castrating and shot duty. These pigs weighed in at 80 lbs and were full of spirit. The morning started with my brother in-law and I chasing and catching. After catching a pig we would carry it over to the fence and hold it up by it's hind legs with it's back toward our stomachs so it could be cut and given shots. At first it was kind of fun but that soon changed. By afternoon it took two of us to hold up one pig and by that evening my arms were so sore I don't think I could raise my hand above my nose. We were dead tired, sore , and stunk to high heaven. That was the last year for pigs on that farm and no one missed them. 

Seems kind of funny now but you couldn't pay me enough to ever do it again.  :(

Edited by Cvans, November 15, 2015 - 07:42 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#6709 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 05:12 AM

Nope, pigs are a serious chore for sure!! We don't raise more than 3 max at a time, way to hard to keep them clean and their pen clean.
Same thing raising turkeys. They have to be just about as bad as pigs.... They need a huge pen to keep from messing it up, but then they dont seem to grow as large and fast as they should.
A buddy of mine has 5 month old turkey that is getting done next weekend and he must be almost 50 pounds right now. Stinky messy things for sure!
  • olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6710 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 05:18 AM

Wow I'm checking pigs off my list of things I want to do in my retirement. LOL
  • olcowhand said thank you

#6711 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 09:44 AM

We're raising four right now. So far, so good, but then, Eggman has a real easy way with animals. Give them enough space (we have about 100 square feet each), and they don't even stink. I wouldn't want to try many more than four, that could get messy quick!

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#6712 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 12:55 PM

Now that the 570 Case is staring fine, it's time to pull the alternator for repair, plus he wants me to put new brakes in her.  Fine with me, as I have the time, and could use the cash!

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6713 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 02:36 PM

Glad it's cooperating with you! Are the brakes hard to do on this?

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6714 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 03:15 PM

Glad it's cooperating with you! Are the brakes hard to do on this?

Not hard at all.  They reside in housings just ahead of the rear axles.  Just lower the oil level, then remove the foot boards, and all is easy to remove.  Brakes are dry, but one bolt on each side goes through to the diff oil.   They are simple "band over drum" brakes.  The left side worked pretty good, but I took it off today.  As usual, one band took most all the wear.  The other is worn a bit.  Best to replace all anyway to make for even performance.  I'll pull the other side and the alternator either today or tomorrow.  His tractor sits outside, so the oil was milky from condensation and will need new.  He's putting up a new open front shed, so it will likely be under roof this winter.  

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6715 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 05:14 PM

Simple band over drum isn't the case.  I had read that was how they were, but looking closer, the drum had what I read as a centering friction surface, which when I looked close is actually a 2nd stage brake with the balls inside to go up ramps to spread out to apply the true disc brakes.  The band simply engages the disc system.   Ya gotta watch what ya read sometimes.  Nothing about what I see looks worn out, rather just partial wear and dirty.  No oil leak really, just slight residue that accumulated crud.  I may be able to save him some good money by just cleaning everything up real good.  There was rust on the balls & ramps that may have been causing the grabby effect.  The dust boots were about rotted off so weather had been getting in too.  I'll talk to him about it.  All new parts would be in excess of $600.

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#6716 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Same thing raising turkeys. They have to be just about as bad as pigs.... They need a huge pen to keep from messing it up, but then they dont seem to grow as large and fast as they should.

Nastiest animals I have ever raised, dirty and stink to high heaven. We had 11 this year for Fair, but didn't get to show them due to bird flu. I told kids, no more turkeys!

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6717 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 06:14 PM

Well, 25 heifers and a small bull arrived an hour and a half ago for me to begin feeding out.  They mingled with my 23 heifers & bull, then took off to check out the fields, kicking up their heels as they went.  They've been mostly in lots with woven wire fencing, so I'll be nervous for a few days till they get used to my barb wire fences & everything.  I followed them in the rain in the Kubota to make sure none ran into fences, and they did fine.  They finally went back to the feeders & hay rings.  If they do good tonight, they will likely be fine. I'll go back out in a bit to see if they are still up eating.  I sure hope this heifer feeding out pans out for the long haul, as raising heifers & driving for Southern States will make me a decent living.  The land lease will just take care of insurance, property tax, and keep Dad's house expenses taken care of. I just pray none of these heifers go through a fence tonight! 

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#6718 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 12:48 PM

The new heifers did well...none got through a fence. They were prowling the border fences again today but are back up to the feeders all laying down chilling. After a few days I can relax a bit as they will acclimate to their new home.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#6719 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 12:54 PM

They're just checking out the territory! Looking for the best place to hide when you go looking for them!

#6720 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:25 PM

New home and fence patrol can only mean one thing. We are out if here if at all possible. If they don't break out in a couple of days you have good fences and content cows. All it takes is one fence jumper to ruin your day.