• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 06:37 PM

Sorry to hear you aren't up to snuff right now! But your work load is a lot better now!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6692 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 01:16 PM

Got an 1/8th mile of wire up this morning through a wooded section, and going back in a bit to start running another string.  This head & chest cold is bad enough, but the meds for it slow me even more.  Should have all done by tomorrow easy enough despite not feeling good.

• Craig., KennyP, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#6693 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thats the last thing I would want to do while being sick! But I no its gotta b done.
  • olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#6694 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 04:03 PM

Sorry to hear you aren't up to snuff right now! But your work load is a lot better now!

Yes, at least for the moment, all I must do each day is feed silage & make sure rolled hay is available.  I could feed 2 days worth at a time once temps stay cooler if I needed to, but best fresh fed each day.

Thats the last thing I would want to do while being sick! But I no its gotta b done.

I've always enjoyed fencing by myself, and if I felt better now, I'd be enjoying it.  But even still it's not that bad.  You have to remember I'm working out in the countryside.  Pics taken today:

P_20151113_1359551.jpg P_20151113_1400081.jpg P_20151113_1427471.jpg P_20151113_1428291.jpg

Then here is the "Love Tree" where my bro-in-law (Craig's Dad) carved his devotion to my oldest sister in this tree.  That was close to 57 years ago!

P_20151113_1401051.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• P_20151113_1400461.jpg

• DH1, Alc, Craig. and 6 others have said thanks

#6695 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Oh, and I ran out of barb wire.  I may run to town in a few minutes & pick up a couple rolls.

• Craig. said thank you

#6696 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 05:29 PM

Went & picked up 2 new rolls of barb wire.  Clint, the Southern States area manager was there & I asked him if all still looked good for me working for them this spring.  He said he was fixing to ask me if all was still a go, as he sure wants me working for them.  So all is looking great for income for a while anyway.  I'll start around March and work at least through June, possibly longer.

I also heard from the land appraiser, and his figure was almost spot on to my budgeted guess as far as taxes to getting the land & house into my son's name.  So that takes some load off my mind.  Now I just have to get my CPA to give me an idea where I stand on normal year's end taxes to see what I'll need to do to avoid a high rate due to the sale of the herd.  If that goes well, then a tremendous load will come off my mind, and life can be less stressful.  I'll have some income from feeding Brad's heifers, income from selling my remaining heifers, and income from Southern States.  With a lot of luck, I may even be able to pay the remainder of the farm loan.  Dad always said he'd never live to see it paid off, but I'm gonna do my best to let him see the day.

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#6697 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 05:37 PM

That is beautiful country, Daniel! Love the little 'hollers' ! Glad to hear some things are not big surprises!

#6698 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 04:59 AM

Thanks for the pic's of the tree. I didn't have any, but always ment to, but never got around to it. Thank you so much!...... just tried to copy them and was unable. When u feel up to it cud u email them to me please?

Edited by Craig., November 14, 2015 - 05:02 AM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#6699 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 08:29 AM

Thats something to see a carving still in place after all the yrs. Pics of the country side look nice.

#6700 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 09:03 AM

I got the pics! thank you very much

#6701 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 05:23 PM

This morning I finished my fence work, then after lunch gave immunization shots to 50 heifers (2 shots each).  Also put the 2 new hay rings together & placed them in the field, then put hay in them.  I am finally ready for Brad to bring 25 heifers next week for me to feed out for him.

Also today, I followed the injection pump rebuilder's recommendations on the Case 570 pump.  The ATF and Seafoam seems to have cured the problem of the sticky metering valve.  I've started it at least 10 times since adding the stuff today, and it fires right off every time.  Tomorrow morning will be the true test.  If she fires right up cold, then it's going to be ok.  His alternator isn't working, so I think he'll want me to take it off & have it rebuild.  Case IH wants over $200 for a rebuilt unit, while I can have a local guy totally rebuild it for around $100.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6702 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 05:37 PM

That's a lot of shots! No one reloading for you?

#6703 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 06:04 PM

That's a lot of shots! No one reloading for you?

Nope, 2cc at a time.  Usually I have my vet give shots at herd checks, but I needed these shots given before new arrivals, so done it myself.  

• KennyP said thank you

#6704 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 06:09 PM

Wow that many shots you need a machine gun

#6705 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 08:42 PM

I gotta tell you, Daniel is like a machine gun when it comes to giving shots to farm animals. Many moons ago when I was down on the farm Daniel snatched me up for a job, they had a bunch of piglets which had caught a bad cough, and was coughing their guts out there butt, literally. They stood about a foot off the ground and there looked to be about 200 of them, but most likely 40 to 50.
I got to tell ya to me it was the most amazing thing watching my Uncle give them there shots. I thought it would take us all morning, but only took an hr. My job was to chase the pigs his way. Now, in Daniel's right hand was the syringe, up in his right arm pit was a can of spray paint, and right pocket was rubber bands, on the wall to his left was the vial of medicine. I'd chace the pigs his way, as they ran between his legs, like lightning with his left hand he'd snatch 1 up by hind leg, capture it between his legs leaning up against the wall give them a shot then put the syringe in his mouth open up his arm dropped the can of paint and then catch it with his right hand, spray the pigs butt with that days collor paint throw the can back up into his armpit and reach into his pocket for a rubber band to band off the gutts if there were any sticking out. One after another like a machine gun he went through them pigs lickety split. He left a couple of pigs for me to do, but I quickly found out I was better suited for chasing pigs. Thats one of the many memories Daniel gave me that will never be forgotten.
  • olcowhand, HDWildBill, EricR and 1 other said thanks