• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Picked up our beef at the slaughter house this morning, then headed for our local school surplus auction.  It's almost a social event anymore.  First I'll apologize for not taking pictures during it, but was kinda busy.  

I bought a Troy Bilt riding mower for $110.  Got it home and put a jump box on it, and she runs like new!  Transaxle belt broken and laying on the hood at auction, but I could reach in and trans pulley turns smooth & free.  Came with original paperwork.  Just needs a belt, some light weld repair on edge of deck, and possibly a battery, but it is taking a charge now.  Seat is perfect as well as paint.  Been taken well cared for.  One front tire worn, but I have some like new to go on it.   Around here, one nice as this one will go for a solid $400+.  Planning to resell.   Good buy!  :thumbs:

Bought me a floor model drill press.  Very heavy duty with variable pulley speed at the turn of a handle.  I had to bid to $250, but an older very nice unit.  Come to find out, one of the school employees was gonna bid on it, and they marked "not working" on it, but I figured it was worth the gamble of being an easy fix.  After the auction, the employee came to me after I won it & told me it was in perfect working order, ready to go. It went higher than he wanted to give, but he wanted to let me know I bought into a sweet drill press.   A VERY good buy!  :thumbs:  :thumbs: (and it stays here in my shop!)

I also got a John Deere JS40 self propelled push mower.  Good compression spinning by hand, but starter rope broken.  Nice OHV 7HP Intek engine.... $30.  May keep, not sure till she's operating.  Worth what I gave I'm sure.   :thumbs:

Several smalls, and a couple things that will be nice to use come plow day.

I promise pics tomorrow, but the last 2 nights were just 4hrs sleep each, and I have a busting headache, plus loading stuff has my neck aching so I'm in for the night.  

• Craig., KennyP, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#6632 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:43 PM

Sounds like some good buys there, Daniel. I made an investment on a mower to sell next Spring. Drill press sounds sweet! One in good condition can be a huge help making parts. On the push mower, check the valves. Could need adjusting!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6633 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:45 PM

Sounds like some good buys there, Daniel. I made an investment on a mower to sell next Spring. Drill press sounds sweet! One in good condition can be a huge help making parts. On the push mower, check the valves. Could need adjusting!

Yes, likely valve clearances to wide caused the rope to break.  Valves need adjusted on the rider as well, as it kicks against the starter a bit.

• Craig. said thank you

#6634 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Yes, likely valve clearances to wide caused the rope to break.  Valves need adjusted on the rider as well, as it kicks against the starter a bit.

I've noticed the OHV engines need this much more often than our old Kohlers!

• Craig. said thank you

#6635 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:04 PM

Is that drill press a Powermatic? I run an old variable-speed Powermatic at work, that thing drills 1" holes in 1" steel like it was pine!

#6636 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 07:15 AM

Is that drill press a Powermatic? I run an old variable-speed Powermatic at work, that thing drills 1" holes in 1" steel like it was pine!

I forget, but I'll go down & snap pics in a few minutes.

• Craig. said thank you

#6637 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:05 AM

Always nice to get deals on stuff.

• Craig. said thank you

#6638 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:14 AM

Yep, "Powermatic" !  Table is swiveled to opposite side in pic, but it's there.

P_20151030_0831271.jpg P_20151030_0831161.jpg

• Craig., KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#6639 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Here's the Troy Bilt "Pony" rider. 

P_20151030_0832011.jpg

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6640 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:28 AM

Kind of a bad deal for an employee to mark it "non-working" just so they could buy it.  Seems pretty shady...

Nice drill press either way.

#6641 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:54 AM

Kind of a bad deal for an employee to mark it "non-working" just so they could buy it. Seems pretty shady...

Nice drill press either way.

Yes, shady for sure, but we all know they do it. I just powered the drill up and she works perfect!
  • Craig., KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6642 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 09:01 AM

Yep, "Powermatic" !  Table is swiveled to opposite side in pic, but it's there.

attachicon.gifP_20151030_0831271.jpgattachicon.gifP_20151030_0831161.jpg

That'll last you till Case takes over! I have a similar one just for parts, let me know if you need anything off it.

IMG_20151030_095203_zpsfcojgg4r.jpg

#6643 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 09:55 AM

Here's the Troy Bilt "Pony" rider. 

attachicon.gifP_20151030_0832011.jpg

That is like the Troy built "Bronco" I picked up a few years ago with a blown engine. Decent mower, cuts good and is comfortable to drive. Changing the drive belt, I have been told, is frustrating.

Does it have the Kohler Courage by chance? If so and it still runs; Remove the flywheel and lock tight the top case bolts. Common problem with them was the case bolts would loosen and allow the crankshaft to move around, leading to a crack in the case, oil drainage, and self destruction all before the operator knew what was happening. Or do what I did and replace motor with a Briggs.

Great scores all around. :thumbs:  Sell the mower in the spring and enjoy your free drill press.

#6644 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 10:37 AM

That is like the Troy built "Bronco" I picked up a few years ago with a blown engine. Decent mower, cuts good and is comfortable to drive. Changing the drive belt, I have been told, is frustrating.

Does it have the Kohler Courage by chance? If so and it still runs; Remove the flywheel and lock tight the top case bolts. Common problem with them was the case bolts would loosen and allow the crankshaft to move around, leading to a crack in the case, oil drainage, and self destruction all before the operator knew what was happening. Or do what I did and replace motor with a Briggs.

Great scores all around. :thumbs:  Sell the mower in the spring and enjoy your free drill press.

It's a Briggs 17.5 Intek. :thumbs:   Also it's the rearmost variable belt, and at a glance looks easy enough to replace.  The free drill press plan was exactly what I had in mind when I was bidding.  :smilewink:

Was just piddling with the JD JS40 self propelled.  Got the rope back in and fired her off carb cleaner.  Seemed to run fine, but won't run off the carb, so it's off for cleaning later.  

After lunch, it's off to pull the neighbor's tractor up the hill and into my shop.  I finally got a good night's sleep, so today I feel so much better.

#6645 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 10:42 AM

That'll last you till Case takes over! I have a similar one just for parts, let me know if you need anything off it.

IMG_20151030_095203_zpsfcojgg4r.jpg

Good to know in case I ever needed a part!  :thumbs:   I see mine likely came with the lower side shields, but don't need them anyway.  The only thing I need, which I can make easy is a lever bolt to tighten the table in place.  They just have a nut, but I'll weld a handle to the nut so I won't need a wrench to adjust.

• Craig. said thank you