• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 07:43 AM

I imagine it does feel odd watching someone else harvest your ground.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6602 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 08:16 AM

I imagine it does feel odd watching someone else harvest your ground.

Very odd indeed!  But then I'm having to adjust to a lot of things this last year.  2 weeks marks a year since my blood clots in my lungs, and yesterday was 5 months since my spinal surgery.  Been a LOT of changes.  As long as Josh's land transfer and taxes don't don't leave me in debt I'll be ok.  Sometime in November my CPA should be able to tell me how things look tax wise.  

Just have a couple months to know where I stand, then hoping to truly be able to find my new direction.  Steve C who leases my land told me yesterday that he could keep me busy 2 to 3 days a week next year doing easy stuff like bush hogging his farm property, and using his Zero-turn mowing at his 6 rental houses.  It's beginning to look as Steve said it would be, that I'll be able to stay as busy as I want to be and more.  So it's a matter of healing more so as to be ready.  I already have a springtime job lined up at Southern States Co-Op.  

One of my neighbors wants me to get his Case 570 diesel tractor going.  It died on him and won't hit a lick, so next week I'll be getting into that.  Might be simple, but could be more.  I likely could stay busy enough with a repair business, but I have time to think on that.  I do know lots of local farmers and home owners around here would give be business, as there's no repair shops within 12 miles one direction, and 20 miles the other.

• Gtractor, MH81, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#6603 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 09:11 AM

Glad you are finding things to stay busy and make a few $. Your offer sounds promising with Steve. Not full time, but a little cash flow.

#6604 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 11:02 AM

He actually finished last night on the soybeans.  His 3 tractors & 3 grain carts are still in the field, but he drove his JD combine home.  These fields have never ever seen this much green equipment.  The most ever before was our JD7700 combine and JD 18' disc, and corn planter.  

P_20151021_1130231.jpg P_20151021_1128561.jpg P_20151021_1129021.jpg

My home place in the distance.

P_20151021_1130521.jpg

• Gtractor, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#6605 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 12:10 PM

Definately harvest time. Yesterday Heath and I were sitting out back and I kept hearing an big engine straining coming up the hill. It took forever for it to get up to the house. It was a big JD combine. He got all excited. Heath not the driver.

#6606 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 01:15 PM

Before rains come this weekend, I'm mucking out around the hay feeder today.  Believe it or not, the ground is solid under the old hay and manure.

P_20151021_1308091.jpg

• Craig., KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#6607 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 06:10 PM

If you think about it, t has many hooves packing it in! Try plowing that area!

#6608 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 12:04 PM

Working down in the old shop trying my best to organize & find new homes for everything.  There are just so many "smalls" that it seems it will take forever, but ya gotta start somewhere!  Lots of inventory will stay down in the old shop, as I don't want the new shop to be filled with stuff rarely needed.  So between the milk parlor and the old shop, I'll store most of the little stuff.  I'll still be using the old shop for most of my welding and painting so to keep the new shop cleaner & paint free on the walls & ceilings.  

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6609 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,840 Thanks
  • 3,190 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 12:35 PM

It'll be a pain to do now, but if you write out an inventory of those specifically necessary but seldom used articles and pin it to the wall you'll thank yourself later. As my memory ages, I'm finding lists to be invaluable. I can remember clearly where things were stored in the old shop 27 years ago, but can't for the life of me find them in the new shop now. To quote my father, "this aging isn't what it's cracked up to be!"
  • olcowhand, massey driver, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#6610 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 12:36 PM

I need to go through a bunch of things in my shop again and 'delete' a pickup load! Sounds like a good plan for that shop.

• massey driver, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6611 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 01:45 PM

It'll be a pain to do now, but if you write out an inventory of those specifically necessary but seldom used articles and pin it to the wall you'll thank yourself later. As my memory ages, I'm finding lists to be invaluable. I can remember clearly where things were stored in the old shop 27 years ago, but can't for the life of me find them in the new shop now. To quote my father, "this aging isn't what it's cracked up to be!"

That's a great idea!  Maybe an inventory ledger book with parts & locations to keep in my file cabinet.  

• massey driver, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6612 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 01:49 PM

I need to go through a bunch of things in my shop again and 'delete' a pickup load! Sounds like a good plan for that shop.

Yep, I'm "deleting" a lot of stuff too.  Some stuff that's been rusting for 40 years or more, and if not needed by now it likely won't be....till I toss it!  :rolling:   But some things must go to make things straighter.  I got about 25% of the old shop cleaned up, but so much more to do as time allows.  Since Hogzilla's chassis is painted & cured, I may take it down to the new shop today so I can start cleaning the area it's sitting at.

#6613 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 04:53 PM

I got sidelined.  Needed a break from cleaning, so I started fabbing a new driveshaft for my older John Deere F935.  The rubber isolator/couplers don't seem to hold up well, so I'm eliminating the rubber coupler & replacing it with a universal joint.  The other end of the shaft has a U-joint already, so this will work and last.  But I didn't work on the coupler long before I ran out of juice and had to come in for supper.  Been an enjoyable and productive day.   :thumbs:

#6614 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 04:56 PM

That's what happened to me when I rearranged! Found something more interesting to do!

#6615 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 05:05 PM

That's what happened to me when I rearranged! Found something more interesting to do!

It was mosty that I needed a cleaning break, but this F935 is sitting outside, and a bear to move when not under it's own power.  So getting a driveshaft fixed so I can get it inside is a job needing done before winter sets in anyway.  I might get the shaft fixed tomorrow if nothing else pops up.  The isolator failed this spring and it's been under a tarp all year, but the tarp split last week from wind.  Getting it fixed will give me a backup mower next year in case the other 935 has issues. 

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks