• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 10:00 AM

BAD start to my day, so I don't look forward to the rest of it!  First, before daylight when getting the cows herded in to milk, I find #11, a fresh cow down from I believe is milk fever (calcium drop).  So I give her 2 bottles of treatment & go on to milking & will check on her later.  Then I have a cow that I seen noodle the gate over where they come into the parlor.  She then pushed her way BEHIND all the metal bars that they normally are in front of & against while milking.  These bars are supported by metal beams set in concrete, so she could squeeze herself through, but ended up hip-locked behind an upright column.  I finally got her hip past, but the next column was tight enough she couldn't get past. So I had to get wrenches & unbolt the crossbars from the column to get her out.  After that I had a never milked new fresh heifer to milk, but luckily not too much problem with her.  My head is pounding from the stress.  

Gotta check on the down cow, and then head out for supplies in remodeling the one shop wall.  The meds I gave her can take several hours to take hold, so just have to give it time.  I have to milk again tonight, and Josh is off tomorrow, so if things don't settle down, it's gonna be a rough couple days.

#647 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hope things settle down for you. Jangled nerves just make things worse.

• olcowhand said thank you

#648 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Cows need whiskers like cats have. They seem to think if the head fits, everything else will!

• olcowhand said thank you

#649 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Cows need whiskers like cats have. They seem to think if the head fits, everything else will!

You got that right Kenny!    Update on the down cow....still down, but seems to feel better.  We got her in fresh sawdusted hospital pen, and she's gotten warmer & the shakes are gone.  Gave her 2 more bottles of calcium/phoshorous fluid.  I think it's low phosphorous causing her to be down.  Takes longer to get over low phos than low calcium.  I also gave her a kind of "cow meth" to give her a boost, so hoping she can stand in the morning.  Another cow with calf in the field to get in tomorrow.  Josh's day off, so it's all mine to do.  Hope tomorrow is smoother, but at least this afternoon went well enough.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#650 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Cow is UP & seems fine on her feet. :dancingbanana:      I'm sure it's low phosphorous that hit her, as it can make them act nutty, and Josh said she was acting hyper the day he got her in.  Her eyes are still kind of wild looking, but I won't put her on concrete till this afternoon, and she should relax more as the day goes by.  Milking finished this morning.  Have a new momma with calf to get in later, 3 cows to turn into the dry field, then afternoon chores.  So far so good!  :thumbs:

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#651 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Glad things re getting better for you. Hope it continues ! 

#652 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well, checked on the cow again, and she couldn't quite get up again.   No milking her in the parlor.  Likely the best we can do is get her healed up enough to take her to market.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#653 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hopefully you can get her well enough to make it to the market and unload her. I hope you get a little "Shop Makeover" time today.

Did you get all your materials picked up?

#654 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hopefully you can get her well enough to make it to the market and unload her. I hope you get a little "Shop Makeover" time today.

Did you get all your materials picked up?

Yes, we have most of the one wall insulated & OSB installed.  Like one sheet of OSB, then Monday we'll roll on sealer, then later paint with gloss white oil base.  The whole shop isn't being redone right away, rather just enough so I can bring all my tooling down.  Dad is really into it, but that can be a problem too, as there are cow care issues to attend, and when Dad is focused on something, everything else gets brushed aside.  He'll have to do what he can while Josh & I attend to things that MUST be done.

I most look forward to getting the clear roofing installed.  Let the sun shine in!!

• Texas Deere and Horse and HDWildBill have said thanks

#655 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 12:59 PM

I most look forward to getting the clear roofing installed.  Let the sun shine in!!

I would be also, good light in the shop is the most important thing in the shop. I never have enough light in my shop.

I think I'm going to have to paint the wall white, that will help.

#656 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Glad to hear things are a bit more sane now. Those hectic days take it out of you.

I want to see this clear roof. Sound like something I might be interested in .

#657 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Glad to hear things are a bit more sane now. Those hectic days take it out of you.

I want to see this clear roof. Sound like something I might be interested in .

Here's a link to the maker of this clear roofing:  Sunsky Poly Roofing

This stuff is tough!  Where I buy mine, they will take a 3' square piece & literally wad it into a ball, beat it with a hammer, fold it sharply....and when they release it, goes right back to flat & normal.  Doesn't even leave a milky line like most plastic does when messed with.  Stays perfectly clear.  What I put on my shop shed extension a few years ago has some slight mildew or something on the underside, but doesn't stop the sunlight at all.  My shed, even on cloudy days is bright inside.  I love this stuff.  It was around $25 per 10' sheet.  It covers 3' width wise.  I've thought about making a small greenhouse using this stuff since it's almost indestructible.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and Team_Green have said thanks

#658 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Cow was up yesterday, and actually looked like she was ready to take to market.  She was down hard this morning & suffering.  I went back with my 22 rifle to put her out of her misery, and she had already went to the great pasture in the sky on her own.  I like it better that way, but I also hate to see them suffer with no hope of recovery.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#659 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 05:21 PM

A peek into our farm shop we are beginning to redo.  We have the one wall complete except for one 4' section behind the left end of the racks in the pic, and some wiring to finish.  The wall that is done is long enough for me to place my Hobart Tigwave TIG/stick, my Clarke 180 MIG,  Craftsman wire welder, plasma cutter, South Bend 42" lathe, and Cincy end mill.  I will also put what I can of my work benches on any remaining wall.  This will kind of be like I still have my shop, just in another place.

DSC00003.JPG

Here is the other side of the shop that we will redo as time allows.  Eventually I'd love to find a deal on some foam insulation for the ceiling, but that may never come.   It's a mess over there right now.

DSC00004.JPG DSC00005.JPG

#660 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Sorry to hear about the cow, But like you said it is better that she went out on her own.    The shop is starting to look good, hope you will get yours done faster then I'm getting mine done.