• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 11:17 AM

Today I'm readying to move the waste oil heater from the old shop to the new.  I will be using a different tank, and I have that slimmer tank in the new shop now.  I may take down the heater itself today, which is suspended from the old shop's roof.  I figure I better get it started now, or old man winter will sneak up on me.

• Craig., KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#6482 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 11:47 AM

Today I'm readying to move the waste oil heater from the old shop to the new. I will be using a different tank, and I have that slimmer tank in the new shop now. I may take down the heater itself today, which is suspended from the old shop's roof. I figure I better get it started now, or old man winter will sneak up on me.

You do have someone to help you?
  • olcowhand said thank you

#6483 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 03:12 PM

You do have someone to help you?

Me, myself, and I....so yes!  Really no problem.  The old Hough loader still had pallet forks on it, so the tank was easy.  I put my forks on my little Massey loader & placed snug up against the bottom of the heater, then unbolted from it's hangers & let her down as I backed up and no issues.  Took the furnace covers off & gave the insides & outside good cleaning with hot water.  I've been giving the whole thing a good going over before using it again.   I have the heater unit off now cleaning it really good.  Last winter it gave trouble lighting sometimes, so it should do well this year with all the crud I'm cleaning out of it.

I still have to build a rack to place the heater on also.  

• Craig., KennyP and fdrmanowar have said thanks

#6484 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 03:17 PM

I did have one issue when trying to unscrew the legs out of the bottom of the tank so I could shorten them.  I was whacking the pipe wrench to get them broke free and the tire iron I was using hit the corner of the tank, then whacked my thumb HARD!  I thought I surely broke it from the pain level it sent me to.  But it's just sore now and using it normally, so all is good.

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6485 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 03:37 PM

I did have one issue when trying to unscrew the legs out of the bottom of the tank so I could shorten them. I was whacking the pipe wrench to get them broke free and the tire iron I was using hit the corner of the tank, then whacked my thumb HARD! I thought I surely broke it from the pain level it sent me to. But it's just sore now and using it normally, so all is good.

Ouch!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#6486 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 06:01 PM

I did have one issue when trying to unscrew the legs out of the bottom of the tank so I could shorten them.  I was whacking the pipe wrench to get them broke free and the tire iron I was using hit the corner of the tank, then whacked my thumb HARD!  I thought I surely broke it from the pain level it sent me to.  But it's just sore now and using it normally, so all is good.

Wait until tomorrow! Then it will probably throb!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6487 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,645 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 06:15 PM

Something like this?       Sorry about your pain, been there done that!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• th.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#6488 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 06:18 PM

Something like this?       Sorry about your pain, been there done that!!!

Similar, but I got the bone directly between the joints.  It's sore, but no throbbing.  Bruised the bone though, that I can tell.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6489 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 10:49 AM

People around me might not think there's anything wrong with me, as I try to hide it when people are around.  But when I'm alone I can moan & groan all I like.  :smilewink:

I know that feeling. 

I'll start that groaning and I don't even know I'm doing it. Wife or others will ask if I need pain meds. That's why it's good to stay busy and keep your mind off of being miserable. 

I don't have a lift but did build a platform with a winch on it. I think it is about 18 inches high and when used with some aluminum ramps has worked out real well. Building in as much lightness as you can is a big plus when it's time to move it. Now that I think about it, putting wheels on one end would be nice. 

A couple days ago Heath and I went to the store. I got out of the truck and didn't even realize I groaned. Heath got out of his carseat and let out a loud groan before scrambling out of the truck.

I built a ramp and platform about 2' high for working on lawn equipment and quads. Makes it a lot easier to work on, but takes a lot of room and the lawn tractor deck catches at the top of the ramp. I may have to do something about that before #1 son leaves home as I doubt SWMBO would be able to drive the tractor up the ramps while I resolve the deck issue.

I am thinking about putting wheels on my setup. I am going to redo my ramps to try to eliminate the deck snagging issue.

• Craig. and camdigger have said thanks

#6490 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 11:46 AM

I am thinking about putting wheels on my setup. I am going to redo my ramps to try to eliminate the deck snagging issue.

I've been thinking arched ramps would go a long way to solving the problem for me.. I've seen commercial arched ramps, but I'm waiting for the money tree to blossom.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6491 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 01:35 PM

Arched ramps are the ticket. I have a sig of Werner arched aluminum ramps. They make loading a tractor in the truck about 5 million times easier. Deck doesn't drag on the top.

Also feels more comfortable than the straight up ramp.

#6492 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 03:19 PM

Been working on the waste oil furnace today.  I have the tank set up, pump attached to tank, stand for furnace built & furnace bolted down.  Have to wait till Friday to pick up stove pipe as I have a Lowe's 10% off coupon that won't be good till then.  Furnace needed some new parts I ordered online today.  The on-board air compressor is about shot and is almost $700, so converting it to shop compressor air kit.  Had to have a new nozzle as well.

I'll be going through the wall with double wall insulated pipe, then cheaper plain pipe on up outside.  

P_20150920_1537341.jpg

• Craig., KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#6493 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 03:29 PM

Been working on the waste oil furnace today.  I have the tank set up, pump attached to tank, stand for furnace built & furnace bolted down.  Have to wait till Friday to pick up stove pipe as I have a Lowe's 10% off coupon that won't be good till then.  Furnace needed some new parts I ordered online today.  The on-board air compressor is about shot and is almost $700, so converting it to shop compressor air kit.  Had to have a new nozzle as well.

I'll be going through the wall with double wall insulated pipe, then cheaper plain pipe on up outside.  

attachicon.gifP_20150920_1537341.jpg

Are you afraid the metal will burn? If it does, you have it set way toooooooooo hot!

#6494 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 03:46 PM

Are you afraid the metal will burn? If it does, you have it set way toooooooooo hot!

I just figure with 2x4's within 2" it's better to use insulated pipe going through the wall. The wall insulation has plastic and fiber backing as well.
  • Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6495 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 03:49 PM

Forgot about that in there! I'd like to have one of those heaters.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks