• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 04:55 PM

Got all this cutting rolled.  The 2 small lots made almost 7 full rolls, and the Sudex made 25 rolls.  Dad will drive the bale wagon in the morning while I load & unload it.  Just 2 trips, so won't take much over an hour if that.  My neck is so glad it's almost finished.  But, like I said, if it gets rain, the Sudex will likely make another light cutting.  If it's too light, I won't bother cutting it.  Takes a lot of diesel fuel, so I'm not burning XX in fuel to get X worth of hay.

P_20150917_1742111.jpg

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6467 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Hey, I'm glad you have that much stored away. Glad you guys got it in!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6468 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 05:13 PM

I'm gonna try to do a bale count.  I think the tarp will show me how many runs I have.  There are 14 rolls to each run.  I'd think I have 300 bales all together which is way more than I will feed this winter by a long shot.  So next year I'll likely see if Steve wants to plant the land I had Sudex in in soybeans or corn.  I have all winter to ponder that.

I'll likely feed Sudex first, being the alfalfa is covered and I still have corn silage as well.  I'll feed the alfalfa/orchardgrass hay if I feel they need the extra protein, or if the weather gets extremely cold.

It sure is a different life without milking cows, and still very strange after a lifetime of knowing nothing else.  But it's a blessing being I'm not as up to speed like I used to be.  I'm doing great really for all the health issues, but it still bothers me that I can't do just whatever/whenever like before.  But as this thread title says.... "Life Changes", and you gotta just adjust.  

It helps so much just being a part of this great community we call GTtalk!  

• massey driver, TheFarm2004, Craig. and 5 others have said thanks

#6469 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 05:29 PM

That's a bunch of hay! I think you made the right choice in getting out of dairy when you did! It was downhill from there if not. Your body tells you what you can/will do and you have to read that! Just very happy you are still vertical and among us!

• olcowhand, Craig., SupplySergeant and 1 other said thanks

#6470 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Your body tells you what you can/will do and you have to read that! Just very happy you are still vertical and among us!

Amen
  • olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#6471 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 11:05 AM

All the rolls are in, and I did a count.  I now have over 380 4x5 rolls of hay.  I think I'm good for a while!  260+ of alfalfa/orchardgrass, and 120+ rolls of Sudex & pure grass.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6472 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 12:41 PM

Have u ever had that much?

#6473 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 02:04 PM

Have u ever had that much?

Maybe close one year, but still I don't think this much.  (After thinking a minute, the most we likely ever had before was around 300, as the barn was full, and we had 100 rolls covered on the ground we sold)

The smallest silage pit (100' of hay under tarp, 3 high/5 wide) is almost full to the end with the alfalfa/orchardgrass, and the long pit is 1/3 full (50')with the grass hay.

Lets put it this way, the hay barn that burned held 3 high, but was only 60' long, and usually we didn't feed all that even.

Edited by olcowhand, September 18, 2015 - 02:07 PM.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#6474 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 02:15 PM

I've been in the shop tinkering, and I'm hurting bad with heartburn from bending over working on stuff.  I need a lift table really bad.  Besides the heartburn, it's terribly hard to get up with my knees crying uncle.  My feet are on fire the last few days too, and put the 3 together and it sure kills the joy.  Some days I work in slip-flops if my feet are giving me fits.

The easiest thing for me to do is drive tractor doing whatever.  It tires my neck, but it's not as painful like the other stuff.  I figure working for the Co-Op next spring should be easy enough on me, plus I should have healed up lots more by then.

People around me might not think there's anything wrong with me, as I try to hide it when people are around.  But when I'm alone I can moan & groan all I like.  :smilewink:

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#6475 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 02:23 PM

Maybe close one year, but still I don't think this much. (After thinking a minute, the most we likely ever had before was around 300, as the barn was full, and we had 100 rolls covered on the ground we sold)
The smallest silage pit (100' of hay under tarp, 3 high/5 wide) is almost full to the end with the alfalfa/orchardgrass, and the long pit is 1/3 full (50')with the grass hay.
Lets put it this way, the hay barn that burned held 3 high, but was only 60' long, and usually we didn't feed all that even.

Wow!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#6476 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 02:26 PM

But when I'm alone I can moan & groan all I like. :smilewink:

Im with you there LOL
  • olcowhand said thank you

#6477 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 02:44 PM

People around me might not think there's anything wrong with me, as I try to hide it when people are around.  But when I'm alone I can moan & groan all I like. 

I'll start that groaning and I don't even know I'm doing it. Wife or others will ask if I need pain meds. That's why it's good to stay busy and keep your mind off of being miserable. 

I don't have a lift but did build a platform with a winch on it. I think it is about 18 inches high and when used with some aluminum ramps has worked out real well. Building in as much lightness as you can is a big plus when it's time to move it. Now that I think about it, putting wheels on one end would be nice. 

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#6478 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 03:33 PM

A zero turn is a bit to heavy for the lift table and it is really scary to get one off so I just leave then off.  I just finished having to fix a deck on a cub zero turn and by the time I was done my knees were shot.  I told the wife I may have to quite working on zero turns, at least the decks.  As far as groaning I'm right along with ya.  Chris is right, if I keep moving it isn't as bad but let me stop for awhile and oh it is hard to get them going again.  I sound like rice krippies when I get up, snap, crackle, pop!

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#6479 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted September 18, 2015 - 06:19 PM

Glad you have a good stock of hay! And I know what you mean about the aches & pains. Most days, my knees cry 'Uncle' early in the afternoon!

• olcowhand, Alc and Craig. have said thanks

#6480 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted September 19, 2015 - 01:13 AM

I built a ramp and platform about 2' high for working on lawn equipment and quads. Makes it a lot easier to work on, but takes a lot of room and the lawn tractor deck catches at the top of the ramp. I may have to do something about that before #1 son leaves home as I doubt SWMBO would be able to drive the tractor up the ramps while I resolve the deck issue.
  • olcowhand, Alc and Craig. have said thanks