• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 03:43 PM

The new momma cow is doing just fine still!  :thumbs:   Today I milked this morning, cleaned up the silage pit of tires & old plastic, then scraped up loose silage & got the bad crusty silage off the new stack & ready to feed.  Then I stole a few minutes to work on my Bush Hog tiller before lunch.  I then used my Massey 1855 w/FEL to finish cleaning the hospital pen.  I just now finished sawdusting 90 cow stalls, and the hospital pen also.  I have a few minutes before afternoon milking, then I am off duty till Sunday morning!   :dancingbanana:   Saturday morning Teresa & I will go to an Amish salvage grocery.  They have an awesome bakery with fresh baked goodies everywhere.  Not just salvage groceries either.  They have the best hamburger you can buy and tons of other stuff.  After that it's shop time!!!!!  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#632 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 03:54 PM

Glad you are getting the chores taken care of and get to spend some time with Teresa this weekend. You guys have a great time! Sounds like fun!

#633 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Sounds like a good couple of days. Enjoy your time off.

#634 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 04:55 PM

I hope you nave a enjoyable 2 day off and getting to spend time with Teresa. Sounds like a good time at the Amish Grocery.

#635 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Sounds like the two of you are off to have a good time.  The grocery sounds awesome.  Enjoy your off time.

#636 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 22, 2013 - 07:09 PM

It's just one day off.  Starting right now at 7pm, it's actually 35 hours till I milk again Sunday morning.  It's VERY rare to get 2 days off in a row here.  

Been a 13hr day, and I am tired, but it's a good tired.  Got a lot done today.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#637 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Been at an overnight dairy meeting, so not been online much.  With dad at 87yrs old, he's slowing down quite a bit.   I'll be spending much more time in the farm shop being he's done a LOT of the farm repair while I tend to the cows & such.  Dad keeps a lot of the farm's tools, which are limited anyway, in his truck toolbox.  Every time I work on anything at all in the farm shop, I have to make multiple trips getting tools from my small personal shop, then when finished, gathering & returning them to my shop.  The time has come for me to close down my personal shop & move everything to the farm shop so I can get work done easier & faster.  Kind of sad closing my little shop down, as it's my little getaway spot.  Once I get this done, my little shop will become an enclosed garage for us to park our Cherokee in.   Teresa will surely enjoy it, so it has good points.  The Cherokee won't stay covered in dust, and she won't get wet when getting groceries out when it's blowing rain.  

I mentioned this to dad before leaving for the meeting yesterday, and he's been cleaning out the farm shop to make room for all my stuff.  I think he's happy I'm bringing all my stuff down, as he's done a lot while I was gone.  

The bad part is I can't do much GT work down there because Dad doesn't respect my space when it comes to my GT's, so they're not safe when he's around them.  But they're not always safe in my shop either, as he's always digging in my shop for tools & inventory.

Also hard to heat the large shop, where my small shop heats up in a hurry and quite comfortable to work in, although very small.  I've always been able to heat my shop in 5 minutes, do a half hour's work & still worth it.  The farm shop takes an hour just to break the chill in real cold weather.

Gonna be tough for me to tear out my benches I worked hard to build in my little shop and all the other things I did in there, but times they change things, and this needs to be done.  Later, if I have the money, I'd love to build a "GT Barn" so I can carry my tools back & forth to from the farm shop.  Actually, I have enough tools to stock a separate GT barn for simple work, but it's time to give Teresa a better place to park, so for now I'll give up my own "private work space".

The writing I'm seeing on the walls says I will have less & less time for my hobby anyway, as the farm will begin to take all I have & then some at many points of the year.  I thought as we got older we were supposed to enjoy more free time, but somebody LIED!

• sacsr, Michiganmobileman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#638 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 08:38 PM

At 87 and all the things I read about that he does, I think is fantastic!  Ya unfortunately time does change things,  hopefully as sad as it may seem now things will prove that it is for the better and hopefully you may enjoy it more.  We just got a car port for the wife and she is loving it just for the same reasons you stated about your wife wanting a garage.

#639 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 08:51 PM

It is sad that your dad is getting old enough to stop working, but great that you can take over.

I am sure you will find some way to squeeze in a little hobby time.

#640 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 27, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Too bad you have to give up your space but sounds like its going to good use. Hope you still find time for your hobby, just think of it as stress relief therapy.

#641 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:06 AM

I can understand what's going on there, Daniel! It's saddening, but must be done. I know you don't have much time, but you need to get things figured out so you can still work on the GT's. That's good therapy for you. Yes, the other space let you 'get away' from the daily grind. You'll find another space close to the tools to let you work on them.

#642 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Milked the cow, then hauled steer to custom slaughter house.  Came home & ground a load of calf feed & got that in the feeder bin.  Then I pulled out the old Hough payloader so I could stuff a couple garden tractors in beside it, then moved the last of the 3 GT's out of the old chicken shed (now storage shed) so I can begin moving shop inventory in there to make room to revamp the farm shop.  

Member sascr/Scott is coming by for a visit this afternoon on his way to KC.  Looking forward to that! 

• KennyP, sacsr and HDWildBill have said thanks

#643 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:28 PM

I used the Massey 1855's FEL to move a couple 6 cylinder gas engines into the chicken shed.  It handled them easily.  The other engine is a complete 354ci 6 cylinder Perkins diesel that has to weigh around 1,000lbs, maybe more.>>>> Just did some research, and this engine weighs 1,100 pounds stripped like this one is!

I told Dad there was no way my little loader would lift it much less move it, but I had to try.  Well, to my surprise it lifted it right up!  I only lifted it a couple inches off the ground, as this is an extreme weight to move around with such a small outfit.  My son Josh had to sit on the rear weights to get it over the hump in the concrete at the shop door, then after I got it out there, I put a 75lb suitcase weight under the seat, then along with Josh, I slowly drove it into the chicken shed only 50' or so away.  

I'll have video of it moving it up to the door, but I have to wait till Josh downloads it from his phone so I can post it here.  It is simply amazing what these loaders can do, but I have to say....don't try this at home!!!   

Oh, and I also need to add that I hooked the chains to lift behind the bucket, not off the front of it.  It would not have lifted it off the tip of the bucket I am sure.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#644 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Daniel, that's not your everyday 1855! Glad it got the job done for you!

#645 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Scott (sascr) also visited here on the farm today.  You can read about it HERE.