• Please log in to reply
8699 replies to this topic

#6391 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 10:17 AM

Dan,l, how's the goat that befriended me when we were there. I hope that one wasn't on the casualty list. We had a kid many years ago. Was the funniest animal we ever had. Put it,s head down and chase the dog all over the the yard. Climb up on our B212, rear feat on the seat and front on the hood and baaaa.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and fdrmanowar have said thanks

#6392 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 10:45 AM

Dan,l, how's the goat that befriended me when we were there. I hope that one wasn't on the casualty list. We had a kid many years ago. Was the funniest animal we ever had. Put it,s head down and chase the dog all over the the yard. Climb up on our B212, rear feat on the seat and front on the hood and baaaa.

Sorry, but likely your buddy.  There was a gray one and a black one.  The black one, "Rue" is still here.  She may become nicer now that she's the only one.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6393 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Whew it's getting humid.  Got stuff parked around to guide the heifers to the cow yard, then Teresa & I separated 21 to go to the bull.  Would have been 22, but one got past her, and she was borderline anyway.  In 2 to 3 months, there will be a smaller group to move again, so we'll get her next time.  So they are chillin for the 2nd time.  One more move and chill time, then they go to the field.  I'll go get the 2 heifers & bull up before turning them out so they can show them the territory.  It helps tons when there are still others already in a field when moving cattle into a new field.  There are already a couple of these heifers in heat right now, so "bully" will be happy to see them.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#6394 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 11:04 AM

Hope your little one will be okay by herself, goats are social creatures. We had to get a barn buddy ASAP since our other doe would not shut up and cried constantly, sounded like we were trying to slit her throat. She got quiet almost immediately after the new one showed up. All is well now.  

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6395 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 12:52 PM

Got the 21 heifers into the back 40.  Bully is introducing himself.  They trotted a bit when I first put them in the field, but soon stopped and went to grazing.  They seem happy enough.  

There is one section of fence I've decided to add some steel posts, and I only had 3 in the Kubota, so taking half a dozen more back there in a few.  The section of fence is in a corner section where the steel posts are a bit wide for my liking, so gonna add several.  My shirt is soaked with sweat.  I feel like Uncle Willie! 

Here are the girls chillin with the bull.

P_20150901_1316211.jpg

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#6396 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 06:03 PM

I feel like Uncle Willie! 

Just as long as you don't look like him!  :poke:  :rolling:

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6397 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 01:56 AM

We have friends that have a large ranch in the foothills. They often get young people to help as they will work cheap and mostly do as they're told.

After some wild cow chasin doings, they took the crop of young wanna be cow chasers to a lecture by Temple Grandin at the local Ag college. Moving cows isn't so stressful for either the two or four legged participants now. A few extra minutes on the move, but rarely any afternoons rebuilding fences afterward.
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6398 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 06:59 AM

Just getting the heifers in the barn used to be a chore. There would be 3 of us and it just spooked them. I started doing it by myself and they walk right in. Dad always hollered which made them more nervous. I've found it best to quietly coax so the cattle think they made the decision. Doesn't always work, but does most times. The last couple years Teresa and I have done most all the heifer working when there used to be 4 or 5 people and it goes much smoother now.
  • Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6399 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 09:55 AM

Ground calf feed, then seen UPS pull out my drive. My 2 thrust bearings for the Massey 1100 PTO had arrived. Open package to find one correct bearing, but the other is wrong! :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: Why can't people get things right? If they took just one second to look, it was obvious they weren't the same at all. Now I wait more. I will wait for my complaint to be answered, but there is a seller who can guarantee Friday delivery for $10 including shipping if I order by 5pm. If I haven't heard from my complaint, I'll go ahead & order, as I want the tractor buttoned up.
  • Craig., KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#6400 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 11:21 AM

At least the bearing place got right on things.  I sent him pics of the 2 bearings, and he already replied and is shipping the correct bearing from his warehouse nearest me so I should get it by Friday.  These 2 came from Washington state, and the replacement from Ohio.

#6401 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,872 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 12:00 PM

Just curious Daniel, but did you get a beef bull for those heifers to start your cow/calf beef operation or are you planning to send the bred heifers on to a dairy "career"? It's a lot of work initially, but a heavy producing dairy cow can be persuaded to take two calves and feed them both through to market size. We often bought baby calves at auction and grafted them on to a cow who had a surplus of milk. Made for a very nice cheque come weaning time.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6402 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 12:01 PM

Good to hear. Nothing worse than waiting for parts only to have the wrong ones show up.

• olcowhand said thank you

#6403 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 02:10 PM

Just curious Daniel, but did you get a beef bull for those heifers to start your cow/calf beef operation or are you planning to send the bred heifers on to a dairy "career"?

Any that don't look promising as dairy I'll keep and breed to a beef bull which I've yet to purchase. I have 2 crossbred heifers already, but a ways from breeding time.

#6404 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 02:11 PM

Just curious Daniel, but did you get a beef bull for those heifers to start your cow/calf beef operation or are you planning to send the bred heifers on to a dairy "career"?

Any that don't look promising as dairy I'll keep and breed to a beef bull which I've yet to purchase. I have 2 crossbred heifers already, but a ways from breeding time.
  • Craig. said thank you

#6405 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 03:29 PM

Got the feed unloaded, then tinkered on the Massey 1100 till I ran out of things to do to it being I have to wait for the last bearing.  So then I went to the freestalls & took down one of the cow cooling fans.  Cleaned it up good, then hung it in my shop.  Later I'll get another down, then hang it on the opposite end of the shop to make a good circulation flow of air.  Does pretty good with the one, so 2 should be fantastic.

P_20150902_1511021.jpg

Then I finally got around to putting the hood back on the Massey 2745.  The hoods are heavy and hard to handle due to their size, but my shoulders handled it well, and they are back on.

P_20150902_1550161.jpg

Now we're gonna run to town.  TSC has a sale going on, so getting some things we will definitely need, and saving some money too.  I'm getting a shelf system to put all my oils/lube on too.  It's $5 off now at Lowes.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks