• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 06:41 AM

Glad to hear life is coming together after the health issues and big changes you've made. Would it be possible to make enough off a cow/ calf operation on the land base you have?

As far as the dead batteries, are you sure it was not her way of controlling how much you take on? After all, you had to wait a while for the batteries to charge, right?

Yes, definitely land base to support a cow/calf operation, but takes a lot of cash and some time to get going. Besides, I've never done anything off that farm and here's my chance to try it. As far as the batteries, no, not her attempt to limit me as she gave up on that long ago. Doc told me I'm free to do whatever. Just don't motocross race or the like.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#6347 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 06:54 AM

Glad you have the doc's blessing! The job sounds good since you know so many folks there. But how much will the farm suffer? Will you have to spend days off 'catching up'?

#6348 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 08:23 AM

Glad you have the doc's blessing! The job sounds good since you know so many folks there. But how much will the farm suffer? Will you have to spend days off 'catching up'?

I'm sure things will get behind at times, and days off will definitely require working here on the farm.  But I can make it work.  I have to at least for a while.  We'll see how it goes come spring.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#6349 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 10:18 AM

Sounds like a good plan to me.  Maybe the part time job will go into full time work and will ease a lot of your stress.

We have been streaming the show Dr. POL lately and when I'm watching him working on a cow and the things the farmers go through I can't help but think about you and what you have described over the years here in your thread.  Sure seems like a lot of stress dealing with animals. 

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#6350 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Sounds like a good plan to me.  Maybe the part time job will go into full time work and will ease a lot of your stress.

We have been streaming the show Dr. POL lately and when I'm watching him working on a cow and the things the farmers go through I can't help but think about you and what you have described over the years here in your thread.  Sure seems like a lot of stress dealing with animals. 

We never discussed the possibility of it going full time, but when the job was offered to my son, they said it could definitely lead to full time with benefits.  I only asked about the rush season position, but if it does work out well and I'm offered full time, I'll snatch it up.  Teresa is very supportive, especially after she saw what a load it took off me financially stress wise.  I have done a lot of what Dr Pol does, and it's not easy.  Beef isn't nearly as difficult, but will still be trying at times.  I will find a way to manage both.  Teresa will be a huge help, as she is already.  First I have to actually be on the job at the Co-Op.

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6351 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 10:51 AM

Just out of curiosity, just what would your duties be at the new job?

• olcowhand said thank you

#6352 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 11:00 AM

Just out of curiosity, just what would your duties be at the new job?

Nurse trucks delivering spray supplies, seed, fertilize, and loading done mostly with forklift.  Or pretty much anything needed.  Possibly loading out fertilize, delivering feeds, etc.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6353 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 03:56 PM

The beef guy across the road from me works at a garage in town. He stays busy 9 days a week.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6354 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 06:12 PM

Great to hear about the job offer, I know that lifted a big weight off your mind. Maybe it will turn into something full time for you.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6355 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 06:22 PM

Daniel, I'm happy you have found something to create income. Just wanted to trip the trigger on 'what happens on the  farm'! I have known lots of 'working farmers' and Willie said it right, 9 days a week!

#6356 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:32 PM

Daniel, I'm happy you have found something to create income. Just wanted to trip the trigger on 'what happens on the farm'! I have known lots of 'working farmers' and Willie said it right, 9 days a week!

I know it'll be tough, but it's not forever. If I can hang with it just a few years, maybe less, it could make a huge difference to my (semi-)retirement funds. That time isn't that far away.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6357 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 10:39 AM

Yesterday mid afternoon I finished the last of the pasture bush hogging.  One of my neighbors even stopped this morning while I had coffee on the front porch to say how nice everything looked!  :thumbs:

Anyways, after finishing mowing yesterday I got into the rear pto leak on the Massey 1100.  Was more than a seal of course. The rear pto gear assembly plate had come loose.  One bolt was in the bottom of the diff, a second halfway out, and the 3rd was very loose.  This allowed the pto output shaft to go inward & the 540rpm shaft ate into the housing.

In the pic of the rear of the tractor, the bucket has a pile of metal parts.  These are 2 thrust bearings that got pounded & ground to pieces.  We always place magnets inside tractors whenever apart to catch any such crap.  It worked awesome.

P_20150826_1019521.jpg P_20150826_1020041.jpg

The arrow points to where 1/4" of the housing is worn away, down to 1" wide.  The original needle bearing was 1 1/4" wide.  Luckily I found the exact size bearing in a 1" width, so that will hold up for many years.  The load rating was almost identical to the original bearing rating.

pto arrow.jpg

Ordered the 3 needed bearings last night & should have them all by Wednesday next week. The rear gasket came off clean so I'll reuse.  

So I went on to the front leak at the power steering box.  The main seal on the main steering shaft is worn out.  I hope it's a simple seal replacement, which I already have the seal.   Right now it's draining oil, so I came to eat lunch while it drains completely.

P_20150826_1020331.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#6358 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 12:44 PM

PTO turned into a bigger job then you thought, hope you can finish it up with no other issues.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#6359 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 04:51 PM

Was fixing to head to town, mostly for more gasket sealer.  But then I stumbled on the new tube "I knew" I had, but hadn't been able to find.  So no having to go anywhere, as Teresa has to go to town Thursday and can pick up the other stuff we needed.  

I got the shaft out of the power steering box, and no nasty surprises there.  Just needs flushing out & the new seal installed.  The front pivot bushing was worn very thin on the top, so ordered a new one.  

P_20150826_1251251.jpg P_20150826_1250241.jpg P_20150826_1250431.jpg P_20150826_1632361.jpg

I used the FEL on my Massey GT to haul the front axle assembly to the milk parlor & gave it a good pressure cleaning.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6360 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 05:13 PM

That looks like tons of fun! Glad you know what's what!

• HDWildBill said thank you