Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Your getting another dumb question from me , what is in the fields that need mowing ? Is it after they get harvested ?

#6317 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 07:12 PM

after morning coffee, I'll top off the trans fluid in the tractor and grease everything,

I finally made a trip to NAPA and purchased a pneumatic grease gun. What a wonderful addition to the shop and it was on sale. I don't know how many grease zerks  there are on our excavator but by the time I was done with it my hands would be cramped up. If you don't have one of these or a rechargeable one they are well worth considering. 

PS.

NAPA's filter sale is in progress now till the end of the month.

Edited by Cvans, August 21, 2015 - 07:19 PM.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#6318 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 07:19 PM

Your getting another dumb question from me , what is in the fields that need mowing ? Is it after they get harvested ?

Pasture fields overtaken with weeds.  Ragweed is the worst, but I had 2 large patches of cocklebur.  I may try spraying some of the pasture for broadleaf, but much of this land is too steep for the sprayer we have.  I'll get some pics tomorrow.

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6319 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 07:45 PM

Good news to hear you aren't hurting as much! Hope the sleep issues take a break as you need that to heal!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6320 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,754 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 08:20 PM

He doesn't want to loose his shiny new cows in the tall grass.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#6321 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 08:47 PM

Pasture fields overtaken with weeds.  Ragweed is the worst, but I had 2 large patches of cocklebur.  I may try spraying some of the pasture for broadleaf, but much of this land is too steep for the sprayer we have.  I'll get some pics tomorrow.

A family friend routinely sprays some of the roughest land I've ever seen with a boomless sprayer. Basically a tank type sprayer with the booms replaced by 3 nozzles.

FWIW, the land in question is in the Foothills and is poorly cleared pastureland. The land was originally covered with pine and spruce up to 36" in dia at the but. After clearing with dozers, the land was only roughly smoothed out and is littered with stump holes. I think the grass seed was broadcast and possibly harrowed, but I doubt harrows were even used. They gets lots of rain most years, so any seed dropped on the ground will sprout in 2-3 weeks in summer.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#6322 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 03:00 PM

I finished all the hogging on the back 40.  I left a strip that is the most difficult and likely the most dangerous, but I mowed above & below it, so it won't bother anything.  I could go back with the 1130 and the 10' hog & get it all, but I have 40 more acres to do, plus the batwing is about to lose one wing, so time to get it back to the welder.  I thought the 2 hinges left would last this whole job, but another one gave up the ghost and just one hinge left.

Anyway, here are some various pics of the back 40 and bush hogging.  The overgrowth was THICK!

P_20150822_1212191.jpg P_20150822_1216281.jpg P_20150822_1216331.jpg P_20150822_1314111.jpg P_20150822_1314321.jpg P_20150822_1427181.jpg P_20150822_1525391.jpg P_20150822_1455191.jpg P_20150822_1455091.jpg

• massey driver, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#6323 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 03:16 PM

Lot different for me as my old pasture is basically flat only I have quite a few stone and a few boulders. I know where the boulders are so I cut around them but the smaller stones are all over. I usually try to keep the mower up at least 8" but some times I still hit the odd stone. I'd leave it but of course it would all get over grown as well.Guess we do what we need to do.I always feel better once its cut and looks like something again.Its a once a year job.

• olcowhand, Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6324 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 03:59 PM

In a pic or 2 it looks like I scalped to dirt, but that's just the heavy vegetation chopped & dried out.  The hills are steeper than they look and can give you the "butt pucker factor" really quick!  In the 6th pic, where it looks scalped, the 2745 slid about 75+ feet down on the left upper side, as it's steep as snot for a little ways.  Member Craig knows the spot, as it's just next to and below the tree where his Dad carved his love for my oldest sister in a tree about 56 years ago.  The tree is still there and carving intact, but the old tree took a beating from the 2 ice storms of recent years.

And Larry, how I wish my pasture wasn't steep.  It has tortured me since a young teen to clip that pasture.  Way back then we didn't even own a bush hog & I had to clip that entire 40 acres with a 7' New Holland sickle mower.  The hillsides were still littered with stumps back then from it being cleared when I was 4 or so years old.  I remember the smell of the chainsaws when Dad would take me back there when he & friends were timbering it off.  It was well before I started school at 5yrs old and about as far back as I can remember.

I slid down the lower portion (the strip I didn't bush hog today) on the Massey 175 w/sickle (tractor that burned   spring of 2014) and was heading for a hurting when the sickle caught a stump, spun the tractor around, and I simply headed back uphill while I tried stuffing my heart back down my throat (not to mention the issue in my shorts).  Ruined at least 2/3 of all the guards on the sickle, broke the main cast sickle housing, but may have saved my life, as I was heading to a steep short bank.

Dad wasn't happy about the sickle mower damage, but never complained either.

• massey driver, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6325 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 04:58 PM

In a pic or 2 it looks like I scalped to dirt, but that's just the heavy vegetation chopped & dried out. The hills are steeper than they look and can give you the "butt pucker factor" really quick! In the 6th pic, where it looks scalped, the 2745 slid about 75+ feet down on the left upper side, as it's steep as snot for a little ways. Member Craig knows the spot, as it's just next to and below the tree where his Dad carved his love for my oldest sister in a tree about 56 years ago. The tree is still there and carving intact, but the old tree took a beating from the 2 ice storms of recent years.
And Larry, how I wish my pasture wasn't steep. It has tortured me since a young teen to clip that pasture. Way back then we didn't even own a bush hog & I had to clip that entire 40 acres with a 7' New Holland sickle mower. The hillsides were still littered with stumps from it being cleared when I was 4 or so years old. I remember the smell of the chainsaws when Dad would take me back there when he & friends were timbering it off. It was well before I started school at 5yrs old and about as far back as I can remember.
I slid down the lower portion (the strip I didn't bush hog today) on the Massey 175 w/sickle (tractor that burned this past spring) and was heading for a hurting when the sickle caught a stump, spun the tractor around, and I simply headed back uphill while I tried stuffing my heart back down my throat (not to mention the issue in my shorts). Ruined at least 2/3 of all the guards on the sickle, broke the main cast sickle housing, but may have saved my life, as I was heading to a steep short bank.
Dad wasn't happy about the sickle mower damage, but never complained either.

Ya I no it well. I didn't know u still cut that field, with it being so steep. Butt Pucker is a factor of 10 for sure. That field would scare me to much to do any work on it. Scares me ur still working that field.
  • olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#6326 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 02:19 PM

Got cleaned up & made it to church.  After we headed to our favorite Chinese place for dinner.  Someone has been messing with the recipes and food isn't close to what it used to be.  If it's the same next time, they've lost us as customers.  They used to have the best pepper steak & sesame chicken I've ever tasted, but they're both terrible today.  I thought maybe I was being too critical till Teresa said she was very disappointed also.  Oh well, the watermelon was good for dessert.

Now to do as little as possible the rest of the day.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6327 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 03:21 PM

Our favorite Chinese take out had the same thing going on a year ago. Turns out they claimed their supplier was getting stuff from a different source. I told them to call me when they switched back. Two months later, they did.
  • olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#6328 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 03:33 PM

All the Chinese place here in Killeen at bad. There was one good one it closed for remodeling 3 months later it was tore down and that was 2 years ago.

#6329 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 03:48 PM

We ate at one Chinese place from the time I was 10 til 25. They sold and another family took it over. At there once after that an never again. I haven't found a good Chinese place again.

#6330 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 08:25 AM

Same with us have been going to the same place for years.The last two times I noticed the food was different and so was the taste. I'll not be going back either.One bad thing for them is that once they lose customers because of changing there food I'll not recommend them to anyone . They'll have a hard time getting people to come back even if they change back so maybe right now changing suppliers is cheaper for them but in the long run its surely going to hurt them.