• Please log in to reply
8700 replies to this topic

#6256 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 01:24 AM

Bin sweep is in and working. Just in time too....scooping had taken all I had.

Bin sweeps are a PITA, but hopper bottom bins are expensive. The local seed farms have 5000 bu hopper bottoms for their shipping area. They don't sell much corn around home, but lots of peas, barley, oats, and canola. All seem to feed OK as long as the grain is clean and dry enough not to bridge.

Just for curiosity, does anyone around there use the non damaging flat conveyors for grain? Grain vacuums are as popular as bin sweeps at home, but they seem to need a lot of power. My closest neighbor uses a 10" x 60' auger. Big dia for volume and the length for tall bins. He uses a 50 - 60 hp tractor (JD 2130?) to power the auger.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#6257 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 06:33 AM

Can, I don't know of any flat conveyor systems around here. But all the elevators I ever delivered to used chain bucket systems. Both those elevators are history today. Our feed mill is all anger.
  • Craig. and camdigger have said thanks

#6258 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:23 AM

Can, I don't know of any flat conveyor systems around here. But all the elevators I ever delivered to used chain bucket systems. Both those elevators are history today. Our feed mill is all anger.

Well, unless you are worried about damage to the kernels during loading, I wouldn't think the conveyor systems would be worth the extra space and cost vs an auger system. Some seed like lentils, peas and soy apparently can be a bit fragile. Broken kernels don't grow. If your corn is tough enough to survive, or you are selling feed stock, who cares? The animal eating the corn will have to munch up the kernels eventually anyway.

The only other advantage is that some conveyor manufacturers have a portable drive over unloader that you can drive a hopper bottom super B over and unload from the belly gate without fussing with a swing away section.

Most elevator systems I've seen are bucket or paddle style. Some are buckets mounted on belting like the old local country elevators, and others are paddles mounted to a long pitch chain like the local feedlot had. Sadly, both the small country elevators and the small feedlot operations are gone now. The elevators fell victim to rail line closures, and the feedlot went broke over the BSE crisis.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#6259 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 11:19 AM

All the hay is cut & I serviced the rake, tedder, and roll baler this morning.  The rake took a little work to get things realigned from where things had loosened over time.  Had to heat the bolts/nuts to get them to move.  

Going out now to load the last load of corn for sale.  After that I can get some mowing done.  

P_20150811_1112501.jpg P_20150811_1113221.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6260 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 01:14 PM

Corn is all gone but 1,600 bushels or so which I'll grind for calves. One checkmark off the to do list.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6261 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 04:33 PM

Glad the to do list is getting smaller! Maybe a GT can fit into you day soon!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6262 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 02:54 PM

Been tedding & raking hay most all the day.  Fixing to go start rolling the alfalfa field, but the Sudex won't roll till tomorrow.  Bouncing in the rough hay fields sure makes the neck & shoulders ache, but I suppose it'll toughen it all up, at least I hope it will.  Taking a coffee break after raking before I start rolling.  Before I would be getting ready to milk right about now.  That is something I don't really miss, but I will say it still seems odd though.

• Craig., KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#6263 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 05:29 PM

Alfalfa is rolled.  Just made 37 rolls this time.  Last time was 68, but the rain had me 3 to 4 weeks late cutting then.  The Sudex will rake before noon tomorrow, and I'll roll it after lunch.  Likely 25+ rolls.  One more cutting & haying will be done for the year.

P_20150812_1655431.jpg P_20150812_1733531.jpg P_20150812_1807491.jpg P_20150812_1808061.jpg

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6264 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 05:58 PM

Been tedding

Daniel what are you referring to when you say "tedding"? I've never heard this phrase before. 

• Craig. said thank you

#6265 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 06:43 PM

Daniel what are you referring to when you say "tedding"? I've never heard this phrase before.

It's a machine pulled by tractor with PTO powering spring teeth that simply tosses the hay to fluff and help it dry sooner. A few posts back I have a pic of one hooked to the Massey 1130.
  • Craig. and Cvans have said thanks

#6266 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Glad to see you got all the alfalfa rolled and will be done with the rest tomorrow. What will you do with all that hay now that you've sold all the breeding heifers?

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6267 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 08:08 PM

Glad to see you got all the alfalfa rolled and will be done with the rest tomorrow. What will you do with all that hay now that you've sold all the breeding heifers?

I only sold 19.  Still have 62 plus the bull.  After taxes are all done at the end of the year, I might be able to get some beef on the place.  Then again I may not have enough left to buy beef stock, but I hope I can.  If I can't afford to start a beef herd right away, I'll look into raising heifers for others.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#6268 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 02:10 AM

I only sold 19.  Still have 62 plus the bull.  After taxes are all done at the end of the year, I might be able to get some beef on the place.  Then again I may not have enough left to buy beef stock, but I hope I can.  If I can't afford to start a beef herd right away, I'll look into raising heifers for others.

If money is tight (ain't it always?), there is always the possibility of breeding existing stock to a beef bull. That's how my Dad built his beef herd. Within 5 years he had a herd of 3/4 + angus crosses with some ruthless culling. Back before the BSE thing, feeder cows were still valuable for the ground products sector. At that time, Angus had an excellent reputation for easy calving. Crossing a large frame cow with an Angus bull makes for very few calving issues. The dairy genes provide a vigorous cross with excellent wean weights from high milk production.

The other criteria for culling was temperament. If a cow was snarky or a fence crawler, she was culled after weaning. Open cows were also culled.
  • olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#6269 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 04:13 PM

Forgot to update yesterday, but finished all the hay with no issues.  I've been hauling it in today, and have 19 more bales to fetch.  Good to have just one cutting left.  

#6270 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 04:50 PM

Had an issue after all today.  Last full wagon load of bales in, and as I stopped, I felt the front left rim loose on the hub.  3 of the six studs were broken off, so I limped it to the shop and I'll rig a temp fix in the morning so I can unload the wagon, and get the last 5 rolls out of the field.  I'll just replace all 6 wheel studs when I do it right.