Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 09:42 PM

I think that I planted Sudex for cover crop & mulch . Mine isn't very tall , maybe 2 1/2' though I'm sure you planted yours earlier . Did the stalks get thick ?
  • Craig. said thank you

#6122 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 07:36 AM

Stalks pretty thick on the really tall stuff. It'll still make decent feed. For hay it's better at 4 feet tall where it's mostly leafy.
Getting cleaned up for Dr checkup.
  • Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6123 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 12:19 PM

Back from the Dr, and thinning numbers all good.  Just raked the 2 small fields, and will roll it in a bit.  Likely only make 10 or a dozen rolls, but gotta be done regardless of production.  Now whenever the Sudex cures, then you're talking quite a few rolls.

Heat index is 101 & climbing, and I got a bit sweaty raking on the open tractor.  Rolling will be easy peezy if nothing goes wrong.  I'll have AC.

• grnspot110, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6124 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 01:38 PM

Made 12 rolls, no problems. Good thing I had AC in the cab, as it's hot as an oven outside. I'd like to ted some of the Sudex, but debating on that. It won't cure for a few days either way, but I may go ted the 1st cut field in a while.

#6125 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 02:12 PM

How soon after it rains can a person mow with a tractor and sickle mower? Good chance of thunder storms tonight and I would like to mow tomorrow. Too hot today.

• Craig. said thank you

#6126 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 03:41 PM

How soon after it rains can a person mow with a tractor and sickle mower? Good chance of thunder storms tonight and I would like to mow tomorrow. Too hot today.

Been so long since I've used a sickle mower I can barely remember.  But it's mostly the condition of the cutter that determines that Chris.  If it's pretty tight, it'll do ok even wet if it plain grasses.  I've mowed fairly wet grasses with a sickle & done well.  Hit a thick cow patty and that can change quick!  :smilewink:

I just tedded the fields of Sudex.  First cut field will definitely roll tomorrow.  Hoping another tedding near noon will get the other ready for raking & rolling.  Gonna be one BUSY day though.  My grain hauler is going to come load up 2 trucks, I'll be raking/tedding/rolling hay, plus Lowes is delivering our new fridge tomorrow too.  Gotta get busy soon as I finish coffee in the morning.

• grnspot110, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6127 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 05:09 PM

And here I figured you were going to start taking life a bit easier.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6128 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 05:14 PM

And here I figured you were going to start taking life a bit easier.

There's work every day even without milking.  How we ever got a minute's free time I'll never know.  I do have easier mornings most days, but always work to be done.  Life could be much worse, so I'm good.  I just worry about getting cash flow going once I'm fully over the surgery.  The corn moneys are all spoken for already.

#6129 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted July 17, 2015 - 06:59 PM

Glad you are getting food in for the critters that are left. And cash flow can be an issue anywhere!

• olcowhand, grnspot110 and Craig. have said thanks

#6130 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 10:58 AM

Crazy morning! Was getting grain anger ready when Lowe's called at 8am and they were on their way with the fridge. While getting it unloaded, Kelly called and on his way with grain truck. Got him going loading corn, so I went to ted the hay. Dad called and anger motor kicked out from heat. Switched anger to other bin and it heated till it kicked out. Bag of ice on motor plus a fan and back in business. Finished tedding hay. Rake and roll after lunch. The first bin of corn has some issues after the weeks of rain, so have the blower running. Ought to be ok by Monday.....I hope!

#6131 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 11:09 AM

The other day I had a taste of what your days are like.  I've been working on the shed where I change out tires and decided I needed to get some more light in there. So I take one of the florescent fixtures from the storage bldg and move it over to the tire shed.  It was 90+ in the shade so I get it down, hung in the shed, wired up and throw the switch. Nothing! :wallbanging: :wallbanging:  so Naturally I figure it is one of the connections so I go back and check the connections.  So I check to see if I'm getting power, yes some but not enough so I check before the switch and good power.  HA! bad switch.  Go down to the shop to get another one, no switches.  So the wife is out running errands I ask her to pick up a new light switch.  She brings home a 3 way.  It works but... Bottom line is the light is working but as I went though all that I though about you and what you go through. :thumbs:

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6132 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 11:17 AM

Heat index is already at 101F and climbing fast.  Not been around AC all morning till just 5 minutes ago.  Sweating like rain!

#6133 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 01:42 PM

102 index, and I just had the hay roller wrap up a shaft.  Almost had all the hay wrap cut off and had to retreat to the house for some AC and cold fluids.  I may have to turn the hay again with the rake to further dry before attempting rolling again.  I'll be rolling into the evening if I do get to finish it.  This will be my hardest day of work since surgery, and it's gonna kick my butt.  I sure hope I finish it today though, as I want it behind me.  Then next week will be bringing the hay in to stack, and finish emptying the corn bins.  That will still be a lot of work, as once corn stops flowing from the bin into it's unloading auger, I'll have to climb up into the bins & scoop corn from the door so I can get the bin sweep in there to clear all the corn.

About cooled down, so gotta get back out into this oven of a day.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6134 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 02:41 PM

I Know what you mean. Our 'feels like' is 111° right now!

• Craig. said thank you

#6135 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 03:09 PM

Kelly got the 2nd truck loaded without issue.  We placed a bag of ice on top of the motor & a fan blowing on it.  Just finished rolling the windrows, and now I have to finish getting the hay jam out of the baler.  Then I hope only to finish the one field, as the other still needs cure time.  There are pop-up thunderstorms northwest of me, and one could form here anytime.  Came in to cool a couple minutes again.  I was so hoping to finish today so I could take the day to rest tomorrow, but it's not looking like I can unless it rains me out.  If it gets rained on, I'll have to use the tedder to bust the windrows up to dry, then rake again.  Lots of extra work.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks