• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 07:05 PM

If I don't do the work, it doesn't get done, and then it piles high on me, and that I can't take.  Today was much cooler.  The last week or two has been stiflingly hot & humid.  Lots of breaks in front of fans & putting down fluids.  I actually didn't feel as good today though, as I didn't take my usual one pain pill per day.  But I don't want to depend on them.  I could take 3/day, but haven't taken over 1/day since the 3rd or 4th week following surgery.

I'm like Daniel! It can be very hot, humid, or whatever out there, but it has to be done no matter!

• olcowhand, Craig. and Cvans have said thanks

#6107 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 07:48 PM

I'd say your doing great. I just don't see how you can work out in the heat and humidity. It's 84 right now with 60% humidity and I can't hardly take it. If there is some wind blowing it's not bad but today there has been very little air moving and I can't take it. I go out for a little while then come back in to dry out and cool off. Drink and drink water like a fish.

I'm with you on that humidity, it just wipes me out!
  • olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#6108 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 09:15 PM

After making the last entry here the wind came up a little and it felt much better outside. I did manage to get the sickle mower mounted and just about ready to head to the farm.  :D

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6109 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:56 AM

I guess like everyone else its not the heat, its the humidity. Working in the shop the last week welding,the wife looked outside and saw me wearing a jacket and thought I was nuts.Been busy rebuilding the steering on the tractor, now the exhaust on the truck. To keep myself from boiling over [LOL] I've set up a old furnace fan on the floor next to me and have it running constant. Of course drinking lots of water is a must.Supposed to cool of a bit after today so hopefully it'll start to be more enjoyable working out in the shop.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#6110 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 09:44 AM

Nice balmy 81% humidity right now.  :(

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6111 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Only going to 85F today.  Right now humidity is 77%  Waiting till after lunch to cut hay, as I want it the ground to settle as much as possible.  I used my little Massey's FEL to move the grain auger into place prepping for selling my 6 to 7,000 bushels of corn next week.  Now I'm looking for another trucker to haul it.  The trucking business who were going to haul it are short on drivers now and can't do it next week.  Waiting on a call-back from a former dairy farmer who now does trucking.  Mowed a little spot behind the new shop this morning too, but a slow morning.

The one field I mired down in yesterday is gonna have to wait till at least Saturday to cut.

• Craig., KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#6112 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 10:57 AM

I guess like everyone else its not the heat, its the humidity. Working in the shop the last week welding,the wife looked outside and saw me wearing a jacket and thought I was nuts.Been busy rebuilding the steering on the tractor, now the exhaust on the truck. To keep myself from boiling over [LOL] I've set up a old furnace fan on the floor next to me and have it running constant. Of course drinking lots of water is a must.Supposed to cool of a bit after today so hopefully it'll start to be more enjoyable working out in the shop.

I have one of them too, now I'm trying to figure a way to put the motion sensor on it so it follows me wherever I walk in the shop lol
  • KennyP said thank you

#6113 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 11:10 AM

To keep myself from boiling over [LOL] I've set up a old furnace fan on the floor next to me and have it running constant.

I've got 2 of those large furnace squirrel cages I use in the garage, they can move the air.

Daniel, hope you don't get it like we are tomorrow and the weekend. In the low90's , but they are saying with humidity, it will feel like 100-105* Fri/Sat, 105-110* on Sunday :biting_nails:

I've got 6 goats to shave  too in that heat   :boo_hoo:

• olcowhand, massey driver, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#6114 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 01:55 PM

I've got 2 of those large furnace squirrel cages I use in the garage, they can move the air.

Daniel, hope you don't get it like we are tomorrow and the weekend. In the low90's , but they are saying with humidity, it will feel like 100-105* Fri/Sat, 105-110* on Sunday :biting_nails:

I've got 6 goats to shave  too in that heat   :boo_hoo:

I've used many old furnace fans.  Under the parlor holding pen, I had 3, and each hooked to water with a spray nozzle at the air exit.  Cows sure were fond of those on hot days.

And Marty, same here.  Tomorrow the heat index is to hit 103.  I have a Dr appointment in the morning, and may not cut the other field of Sudex till Saturday.  But I'll be in a cab tractor with AC.  If the 2 small mixed hay fields will cure by Saturday, I'll also be on an open tractor raking, but again in an AC tractor when rolling.

Below at the far side of pic, you can see the field of gnarly looking Sudex that is too wet to drive on to cut.  Been a pretty good day.  Met my goal!

P_20150716_1351291.jpg

• Craig., KennyP and Austen have said thanks

#6115 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 03:16 PM

:dancingbanana:  Have a grain hauler lined up for next week!  He just  called me and said he'd be happy to.  :thumbs:

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#6116 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 03:20 PM

Glad you got the hauler going! And had a good day for a change! I hope the weather holds so you can roll more hay! That field looks very ready!

#6117 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 03:25 PM

Glad you got the hauler going! And had a good day for a change! I hope the weather holds so you can roll more hay! That field looks very ready!

The field is ready alright...some spots are over 6' tall!  The discbine is working better than it has in a long time too.  :thumbs:   She gets another good greasing before she heads back to the field.

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6118 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 03:28 PM

In that last pic, just ahead to the right of the tractor that area is light.  That's where the hay rings were for the dry cows, and it was so muddy we couldn't get the drill over it, so we had to lift it up to slither through.  The rest of the field was dry at the time, but you know how hay feeder areas can get.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6119 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 05:04 PM

In that last pic, just ahead to the right of the tractor that area is light.  That's where the hay rings were for the dry cows, and it was so muddy we couldn't get the drill over it, so we had to lift it up to slither through.  The rest of the field was dry at the time, but you know how hay feeder areas can get.

That should make some good hay!

#6120 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:02 PM

Exceeded my goal!  Rode the 4-Trax to check the other field and was surprised how much the ground dried today.  So took off at 6:30 and finished cutting ALL the Sudex.  Spun a tire in one spot, so started cutting around this spot till last, then came downhill only till I got it all cut.  Looped around a dry section back uphill, then dropped in.  Discbine & tractor are parked under roof till next cutting time rolls around.  I might be able to rake & roll the 2 small jags of hay when I get home from the Dr tomorrow.

I love it when I surpass my own goals for the day.  :thumbs:   I'm done now though for sure.

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks