8687 replies to this topic

#6091 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 09:51 PM

Fiber optic line gets struck it might just bring the lightening bolt in the house!  haha.

You should have some super fast internet then.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6092 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 05:29 AM

How many days does it take the grasses to dry before rolling ? Or do  you have to keep fluffing it up to dry  again ?

#6093 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 06:50 AM

How many days does it take the grasses to dry before rolling ? Or do you have to keep fluffing it up to dry again ?

With the high humidity it will be hard to cure down. Will need tedded a few times at least. Rained tons last night so no idea when I'll be able the cut it.
  • Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6094 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Been finishing the inside gables today, and happy to report they are DONE!  :dancingbanana:   Good thing too, as my shoulders are aching bad.  

The last gable.  In the center is a removable 2'x3' panel to access above the ceiling.

P_20150714_1608261.jpg

The raised portion of ceiling will wait a while.  The original 12' shed portion of 2x4's have been weakened by carpenter bees, so I will later add a 2x6 to each one, then hire a neighbor carpenter to come pull the old roof off & put double bubble insulation down, then a new roof.  This old roof was nailed on, and we nailed it on the raised portion, and it has begun to leak a lot.  So the old roof will become ceiling metal for this section if I can get it up there.  The paint isn't so good on the old roof, but it will serve fine for a ceiling.  Word to the wise....spend the extra for grade 1 metal, as the paint is 40yr paint, and will last that long easily.   Grade 2 metal is 15-20yr paint, and this shed is about 25yrs old.  

P_20150714_1609391.jpg

If rain misses us tonight, tomorrow I "may" try cutting a round of the hay fields to see how the ground holds.

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6095 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 07:42 PM

Well SOBee...another downpour developed just after I rode the 4 wheeler to check field conditions.  I likely "could have" cut my grass hay tomorrow, but not now.  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6096 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 08:02 PM

Nothing but heat here!

#6097 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 08:08 AM

Man Uncle that shop looks GREAT! Nice, nice work! Wish I was there.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#6098 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 09:50 AM

We got those storms last night, But we could use the rain.  It has been dry here for over a week.  Hope thing work out better for you.

#6099 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 10:44 AM

Stopped by the small hay field next to my son's house today.  Walked in just a few feet and "squish squish".  Likely no cutting for 2 more days.

They got my fiber optic phone/dsl/video line hooked up yesterday.  First day in months we had no glitches at all!  :dancingbanana:

Pages load faster, but I've not downloaded anything to check those speeds, but should be much faster.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6100 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 02:53 PM

Did a "test" hay cut.  One half of the Sudex I think can finish tomorrow.  The other half has some wet spots that will sink ya.  I know that for sure, as I got mired up, but got out.  Hoping tomorrow to finish the one 1/2 field, and possibly up at BIL's and Josh's, each place has 2 acres blended hay.

Today I also got the other 2 of the fly control rubs put out for the heifers.  Now they should stay relatively free of flies.  I also moved a desk into the new shop, and moved the small fridge from the parlor in there & stocked it with some water & caffeine free Mt Dew.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6101 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 03:14 PM

Good to hear your getting along so well. I have to mount the sickle mower and do the road ditches around the CRP. Kind of enjoy it.

caffeine free Mt Dew

That's kind of like a water free shower isn't it?  :smilewink:

Actually I'm not suppose to have caffeine or nicotine either. Once you get used to the idea it's no big deal. Salt would be another deal all together.  

• Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6102 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 03:25 PM

Good to hear your getting along so well. I have to mount the sickle mower and do the road ditches around the CRP. Kind of enjoy it.

That's kind of like a water free shower isn't it?  :smilewink:

Actually I'm not suppose to have caffeine or nicotine either. Once you get used to the idea it's no big deal. Salt would be another deal all together.  

If I want my 2 cups of morning chocolate flavored coffee, I have to trim all other caffeine I can.  I love that coffee, and it can't be found in decaf form.  Too much caffeine and my heart starts palpitating and makes it hard to get to sleep.  I like to add salt to my food, and so far so good with that.  

As far as getting along good, I suppose I am, but I don't feel like I am.  I'm used to going flat-out at times, and that is history at the moment. Where they cut the shoulder muscles at my neck, it's really took the strength out of them, and they tire & get sore quick.

I'll get back with time I hope.  In a little over 2 weeks I see my surgeon for a checkup, so I'll know better if I'm healing as well as he'd expect.  Been 8 weeks today since surgery.

• Craig., KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#6103 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 03:33 PM

I think you are doing great! It'll take some time to get those muscles built back. Hope the hay cutting goes well!

#6104 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 04:31 PM

As far as getting along good, I suppose I am, but I don't feel like I am.

I'd say your doing great. I just don't see how you can work out in the heat and humidity. It's 84 right now with 60% humidity and I can't hardly take it. If there is some wind blowing it's not bad but today there has been very little air moving and I can't take it. I go out for a little while then come back in to dry out and cool off. Drink and drink water like a fish. 

#6105 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 15, 2015 - 06:50 PM

I just don't see how you can work out in the heat and humidity.  

If I don't do the work, it doesn't get done, and then it piles high on me, and that I can't take.  Today was much cooler.  The last week or two has been stiflingly hot & humid.  Lots of breaks in front of fans & putting down fluids.  I actually didn't feel as good today though, as I didn't take my usual one pain pill per day.  But I don't want to depend on them.  I could take 3/day, but haven't taken over 1/day since the 3rd or 4th week following surgery.

• Craig., KennyP and Cvans have said thanks