• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:10 PM

Finally finished rolling the hay, but not without 3 rounds of trouble.  The hay raked horribly in spots.  Way too wide to fit the roller pickup.  The rake has done this ever since Dad bent up the rake bad & we straightened it best we could.  That causes the hay to hang up on the outside edges and jams the feeder.  You just have to cut & pull the wads of hay out, and my shoulders are telling me that wasn't a good thing!  I've got to see if I can get that rake in better shape, or just get another rake.  If it were me, I'd have went over those areas with the rake a 2nd time.  I forgot to get a final pic, but those below will do.  Right at 60 rolls today.  I figure the Sudex grass hay will make at least that many, maybe more.

P_20150706_1610181.jpg P_20150706_1610221.jpg

• Alc, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6047 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:22 PM

Really, I should have stopped rolling & went & got the tractor with rake & went back over it, but being stubborn, I went ahead & caused myself more grief than the walk to the barn.

• Craig. said thank you

#6048 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:32 PM

We are all that way at times. Just happy you got it done before more rain hits!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#6049 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Damn the bad raking!! LOL what's with dads gettin after the young-ins about reckon stuff when their the biggest offenders roflmao! I hate fixing stuff that he wrecks... Pay back Iguess for all the rtoys he had to fix.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6050 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 08:19 PM

Is it terrible of me that looking at those fields makes me want to get an old junk car and come play?

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6051 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 09:53 PM

Is it terrible of me that looking at those fields makes me want to get an old junk car and come play?

We did that at a friend's farm. That was a lot of fun. But it wasn't in planted fields. :smilewink:

#6052 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Got the hay in here too, rolled the outer windrow into 5 bales the rest added up to 2.5 loads of small squares, may cut more later this week.

#6053 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 08:54 AM

Got 45 og the 60 rolls in before the heavens dropped buckets of rain.  Oh well, that's how it goes these days.  At least it's rolled!

• Craig. and adamjd200 have said thanks

#6054 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 01:59 PM

Are you using net wrap or string, net wrap bales shed water so if that's what you use they should be fine.

• Craig. said thank you

#6055 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 03:17 PM

Are you using net wrap or string, net wrap bales shed water so if that's what you use they should be fine.

String.  But it didn't rain that much, heavy when it did though.  The ground settled fine, so I got the rest of the hay on in.  I have to get the hay tarp over the stack asap.

Oh, and when I went to use the bale wagon, it had a flat tire.  So I went to town & got a new tube.  The tire was fine with no intrusions at all.  The tube just split about 6" long.  The foreign made tubes from TSC are junk a lot of times, so I quit buying their tubes a while back.  This is about the last of TSC tubes to be replaced.

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#6056 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 08:57 PM

String.  But it didn't rain that much, heavy when it did though.  The ground settled fine, so I got the rest of the hay on in.  I have to get the hay tarp over the stack asap.

Oh, and when I went to use the bale wagon, it had a flat tire.  So I went to town & got a new tube.  The tire was fine with no intrusions at all.  The tube just split about 6" long.  The foreign made tubes from TSC are junk a lot of times, so I quit buying their tubes a while back.  This is about the last of TSC tubes to be replaced.

Yeah, we use string too, but only because that's all our old New Holland 845 chain baler can use.

• Craig. said thank you

#6057 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 11:53 AM

Wow....another buckets pour down of rain. Lightning too. I'm in the new shop, so staying away from metal walls till it lets up. The rain never ends. Came a flood yesterday also.
  • Craig., KennyP and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#6058 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 03:59 PM

Send some of that rain this way.

• Craig. said thank you

#6059 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 04:10 PM

Around 2:00 I was too tired to climb ladders any longer, so headed to Lowes to get some electrical supplies to run the last of the wiring in the shop (for now anyway).  We got within 3 miles of Lowes & ran smack into a bad-a storm.  Many cars off into the emergency lane with flashers on due to the HEAVY rain & fairly rough wind.  I drove slow & kept going.  About 2 miles & we broke into a lighter downpour, so headed onto my roof metal guy to get 3 more bags of roofing screws.  One for the shop, 2 more for barn roof repairs.  Ran right back into the heavy stuff & had to sit in his parking lot several minutes before I dared make a run for his door.  Got the crews, then headed to Lowes.  Got all my stuff within 10 minutes & right back out the door.  Teresa went into Kroger, then we headed home.  Seen on cell radar that storms were down the road near home.  Called Dad to check on them and lightning blew the fuse off their pole transformer.  They should have it back on soon.  We've had over 8" of rain here at home since July 1st.  2" today.  In Taylor County, where we drove through the storm, I can guarantee they got 3 to 4" in just an hour.  Streets were like creeks, and in one place it was flooding the roadway to where I had to drive very slow so not to cover my engine in water.

No cutting hay for a while, even if rain stops.  Part of it is on a slope, and the discbine wouldn't even track behind me, as it would slide downhill.  But every day through next Friday has chances of rain up to 50% anyway.  

Willie, I'd gladly get you guys rain if I could.  I know too dry is even worse than too wet.  Been there too many times.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#6060 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted July 10, 2015 - 06:11 PM

We are ending the drought across the mid sections of the country! I haven't seen rain like has been coming down for many years!

• Craig. said thank you