• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Could have been worse...you could have been trying to keep hogs in :D :D :D

OB, We used to keep all are Hogs in the pasture with a hot wire. We would have to go around and move it up every once in awhile because they would root dirt up to it and short it out. We never had a problem with keeping them in, I guess it was those hog rings in thier noses that made the wire really bite them !! :thumbs:

#587 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:29 PM

One thing we noticed with pigs was after taking down the electric fence the pigs would still not go where the fence was for quite a while. Even when we were trying to move them after the fence was down they wouldn't go in that area. Ornery critters!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#588 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:39 PM

We learned about magnetic inductance working on the fence when I was young.  We had put up two hot wires on insulators, but then I think Dad wasn't sure if the same controller could run both wires.  So he hooked up just one, and were going to see how that worked.  Well, somebody grabbed the wire that WASN'T connected and got quite a jolt.  We never found a short, so we figured that the distance around the pasture must be enough to induce a voltage in the second wire since it wasn't grounded.

Later on, we saw and recognized magnetic inductance in some vehicle wiring circuits.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks

#589 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:30 AM

Not sleeping well because fencing has got every joint & lower back hurting, and a spot in my forearm has intermittent "stabbing" pains.  That woke me up a few times last night.  But unfortunately unlike Uncle Willie, I don't have the option to stay in bed late to get more rest.  So up out of bed, and slowly  out the door to start morning milking.  No fencing today, even though it is absolutely beautiful weather for it.  I just can't take   another day of fence work without a break from it a couple days.  Later today I'll unload my truck of all the old steel fence posts I pulled by hand, and then go to town for a new supply of posts, wire, and more insulators.  

• Texas Deere and Horse and Cvans have said thanks

#590 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:58 AM

Tylenol Arthritis is good and I use it all the time. 3 or 4 Ibuprofen  works even better but it is pretty hard on the liver and kidneys. Take care of the back or you'll end up like me. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#591 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:00 AM

Tylenol Arthritis is good and I use it all the time. 3 or 4 Ibuprofen  works even better but it is pretty hard on the liver and kidneys. Take care of the back or you'll end up like me. 

I usually use 3 Ibuprofin.  All my innards are checked every 6 months due to arthritis & cholesterol meds I'm on.  The back is just my muscles sore, but yes, I have to watch out with my back.

#592 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Maybe YOU need shop time today, that always makes you feel better!!! :thumbs:

#593 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Maybe YOU need shop time today, that always makes you feel better!!! :thumbs:

Actually, I just stole some shop time!  I got the MF2050 out, swapped the ags off it onto the diesel JB, and put the turfs temporarily onto the 2050.  Need to run to town next, but later today I'll mount the weights back onto the JB also.  

YES, shop time is great medicine!   :dancingbanana: 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#594 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 12:04 PM

:iagree:  :thumbs: 

#595 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 12:05 PM

Follow your Uncle Willie's advice

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#596 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Follow your Uncle Willie's advice

Hey Willie....one of my favorite oldie groups.  I had that one on 8-track!  "Eagles Greatest Hits"

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#597 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have the CD!

#598 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yesterday I milked in the morning, and when the sun came up I seen I had a freshening heifer in calving distress.  So I left the parlor with OB chains in hand.  I thought she wouldn't be able to get up with the shape she was in, calf head & feet out.  But she did, so I had t chase her a bit till I could get an OB chain onto one of the legs.  Once I gave a little pull, she quit walking around, and I hooked the chain to the 4 wheeler and gave a very gentle pull.  Calf popped right out, but was DOA. Young momma is fine though.

Then got the MF1855 out to use the FEL to do some dirt work where my pool used to be.  I'm digging away when I notice what I thought was a piece of metal rod sticking out of the ground.  I keep on working several seconds when I smell it.........PROPANE!   I had forgotten the propane feeder line was!   I was on top of the propane with engine running & smoking a cigarette.  Talk about shutting down an engine & leaping off a tractor FAST!  Got the tank valve shut off, let the air clear, then repaired the line.  That was enough dirt work for one day.  

Then after lunch, used the little loader to scrape the concrete clean on one empty silage pit.  Soon we will be pouring 80 yards of concrete in 2 pits & the loading area 4" deep over existing concrete in need of repair.  Getting it scraped clean now will allow rains to wash it very clean by the time we need to pour.  

This morning milking took a while longer.  A cow had a blockage in one teat & it had to be removed.  Cows sometimes have little cysts that break loose in the udder, then block off the milk flow in the bottom of the teat.  Kind of like a meaty lump, you have to squeeze hard to get them out.  I had to put a pair of kickers on the cow & she still got nutty.  The orifice in her tit wasn't large enough for it to pass, so I had to use a plastic cannula to stretch the opening, then finally got it out.  If not removed, it would certainly cause mastitis, and we would lose the quarter on the cow, and possibly have to sell her.  Then the fresh heifer to milk this morning and finally finished morning chores.  Be glad when I walk out of the parlor tonight, as I'll then have 36 hours off cow duty!  :thumbs:

• KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#599 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 10:59 AM

It sounds like you almost became a fire cracker!  I can just imagine you shutting down the MF and putting that smoke out in short order.  Around here we hear of construction crews breaking gas lines all the time.

Sorry to hear about the calf, at least mamma is OK.  

#600 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 12:47 PM

That  could have ended badly. Glad you didn't immolate yourself.

Too bad about the calf.