Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 22 votes

Life On & Off My Farm - Life Changes

• Please log in to reply
8682 replies to this topic

#5851 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 07:48 PM

It seems to me, you are starting to push a bit to hard too soon after surgery.  Keep it up and you may end up back in the hospital, maybe for an extended stay.

• grnspot110, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5852 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 09:01 PM

It seems to me, you are starting to push a bit to hard too soon after surgery.  Keep it up and you may end up back in the hospital, maybe for an extended stay.

I know I am pushing a bit harder than I should, but I also stop when I know I've hit my limits.  Fact is, the work must still be done, and I won't leave it to my 89 year old Dad.  I've cut my pain meds in half now for 2 reasons.  1 is because I want to just be off them, 2nd is so I WILL feel the pain that lets me know it's time to stop.  Most of my neighbors are busy as bees and I can't call on them for help when they are strapped as it is.  I check my oxygen levels & BP regularly & they are all great.  I actually have rested well tonight & feel good.  I will take tomorrow as easy as possible, and if I do cut hay, it won't be at my usual fast pace, not even close.  Truly I will cut slowly.  Bumpy rides aren't fun, plus I get a better cut when I go slower.  

• Bill56, grnspot110, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5853 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 04:45 AM

Less pain meds= less sleep but it is what it is.  Maybe I'll shut down earlier tonight.  Soon as the wife gets up I may take off for breakfast & more baler twine & some grease.  The recent rains we've gotten have that Sudex coming along, plus the alfalfa is climbing tall again too.  3 more weeks & it'll cut again.

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5854 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Took off early for breakfast, then to Kroger, and TSC.  Got 3 more bales of twine that may last the season.  Got home & hooked to the discbine & a huge cloud of smoke from under the hood....lose an AC line.  Too much work (the way I feel) to swap tractors, as the other 2745 has had starlings build ANOTHER huge nest on top of the engine.  So I open the windows & go to mow hay.  Got hot & tired, but cut the most dangerous hill mowed safely.  Last year both Dad & myself took a but pucker slide ride on that hill, but I had no intention of Dad mowing it this time.  Another 10 to 12 acres to cut tomorrow.  I had to go back down to this field I cut to patch the fence in 2 places, then came back up, spoke to dad a few minutes, then fell asleep in about 2 minutes after kicking back in my recliner.  After almost 3 hours sleep, I need to go r]finish getting the birds nest out of the engine that Dad started cleaning out.  I told him to go home and I'd finish it tonight.  Kinda wished I hadn't said that now!  Run completely out pain meds tonight, and been running 1/2 dose all day.  I'll sleep like a baby tonight!

• grnspot110, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5855 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Be careful. The last thing you need is to mess up and hurt yourself. I will send Teresa some rope if I need to. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5856 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 07:37 PM

Low on pain meds is good, cause it definitely slows me down.  Raining buckets right now from a tiny cell, so may not cut any tomorrow, and I was planning on taking s break from it anyway.

Look at this tiny red cell, right on top of me!

rain.png

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5857 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 04:43 AM

Maybe someone else is saying take a break!

• TheFarm2004, grnspot110, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5858 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 06:10 AM

Hope you can have an easier/restful day, Daniel.
  • grnspot110 and Craig. have said thanks

#5859 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 06:58 AM

I slept well last night.  No pain meds at all.  I awoke to a right hand at least 90% normal, left hand 80% normal as far as numbness.  I won't be pushing today though.  Yesterday wore me down.  I will get out & tinker, and maybe mow some grass, but not big tractor stuff.  My numb area of my left shoulder seems to feel better today too, so maybe the workout it got yesterday was a good thing.  But still, I want no more of that today.  Call off the dogs, this patient is gonna mind his P's & Q's today.

• Bill56, massey driver, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#5860 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 09:55 AM

We had one of those red dots over us for a while yesterday evening as well.  Glad to hear your going to pull in the reins some today.  I had to do the same thing with my FIL on Monday.  They finally replaced that heart valve and now he feels like he can take on the world. 

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5861 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 11:26 AM

Just been puttering around today. Gathering items for little projects when I feel like getting to them.  That way I can grab the appropriate box of goodies & get at it when I feel up to it.  Hot out this afternoon, so doubt I'll swap tractors on the discbine even.  Actually climbing on & off the tractors & getting things attached is way harder than just driving doing the mowing.  The grass will still be standing tomorrow to be mowed following my best guess.

• Bill56, massey driver, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#5862 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Slow and steady Daniel
  • olcowhand, Bill56, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5863 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 11:36 AM

Good you are taking it easy today and resting. You know your body and I would be the same way so no tongue lashings from me.

I needed to cut grass tonight, but got a tooth pulled this morning and they told me not to do anything today. Numbness is wearing off and starting to ache and getting a headache, grass may wait until tomorrow.

• olcowhand, grnspot110 and Craig. have said thanks

#5864 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 03:50 PM

I cannot be trusted.....but you guys have that figured out already.  BUT, in my defense, I have a good one.  Dad said he was going to cut the hay tomorrow on the back 40...well, more like 20, but this is some of the most dangerous areas to slide a tractor in a VERY bad way.  Being he's 89, his thinking isn't always the best, nor his reflexes the fastest.  So I put the Massey 2745 with working AC on the discbine & went back & cut the one entire hillside that I did NOT want him on, then got all the other areas cut to where it is safe for anyone to operate.  No pain at all & I was quite comfortable.  This tractor hasn't got the powershift, and 4th won't go into gear due to a sloppy shift pin, so I mowed in 3rd, which was slow & steady, and the fastest safe speed for me right now anyway.  Heck guys, I even put my seat belt on!  It has never been used since we bought the tractor, so it took a pair of needle nose pliers to get the strap loosened to adjust it.  

No pain killers at all today & feel pretty good!

Also, got a call from my telephone Co's assistant general manager while I was mowing hay.  He had heard I have been having a lot of issues with my service over the years and has me scheduled to have the fiber optic system hooked up for me this week.  The fiber has been buried & dead-headed at every home on this line since last late summer, but nobody has yet to be connected to it.  He also told me I was going to be the only one hooked to fiber on this line for the time being, so not to let all the neighbors know. I told him how much I appreciated this, and took the opportunity to also tell him how much I appreciated his service workers who have ALWAYS done their utmost to help above & beyond when we had issues.  I have always found when you treat people well, it comes back in spades.  This is one example that it is true!

• grnspot110, Craig., KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#5865 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 04:51 PM

Why Don,t you just put a small tire on one side of the tractor then it will set level along the bank.
  • olcowhand, Bill56, Craig. and 1 other said thanks