#5701 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 07:52 AM

I didn't realize it was happening that quick. At least you won't have to be worried about dealing with milking of the cows. Putting up hay etc: shouldn't be to bad. Josh will do just fine.He's been doing all this stuff all along and it'll be second nature to him. I know it may not be done the way you did it ,or would do it but it'll still get done. [ I used to get upset etc: when I couldn't do the stuff the way I wanted,and would stress about it] Now as long as it gets done that's the main thing. Looking forward to hearing about your recovery etc: 

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5702 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 08:19 AM

Daniel............WHATEVER you do,,,,,,,,,follow the Dr's instructions TO THE LETTER and take it easy for a while.  I know that it is going to be hard, but a second or third surgery would make it even worse.  Dana's mother just had major neck surgery a couple of months ago and was up and around in just a few weeks. She has had MAJOR improvements from hers. Just keep making those "road trips"........if nothing else.......be the farm 'gopher' and let everyone else take care of the farm.  You will be back in the thick of things soon enough............enjoy your down time and let others do the chores for a while............

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5703 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Glad things are going fairly smooth around there. Just for backup, do you know anyone with rolling experience that may be able to help Josh if needed? Might not hurt to have someone he can go to if having issues!

• Craig. said thank you

#5704 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 09:11 AM

Wow, our family needs to rent a room at the hospital. Fred will be going into surgery, as his stone is 11mm. Wasn't expecting that!
  • Craig., KennyP and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#5705 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 09:18 AM

Maybe you two can be room mates!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5706 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 09:28 AM

Maybe you two can be room mates!

Might be!
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5707 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 10:19 AM

His first surgery was this morning to place a stint, but Fred will have a 2nd surgery later this week to extract the stone (as I understand things).  I'm not feeling up to speed today, so Teresa is going to visit Fred after lunch when he'll be out of recovery.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5708 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 10:52 AM

Kidney stones are not fun! I had one back in the mid 90's and I have never had something hurt so bad, even my lung surgery didn't hurt that bad. I was lucky and was able to pass mine.  I sure hope the two of you have a quick recovery. 

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5709 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 12:04 PM

My Olde Deere found that the worst part of his hip surgery was having to learn to put up with "down time" while he healed. It frustrated him no end, but patience won out and he learned to put up with it. Making lists as he thought of things to do when he was able, and things I could do immediately helped a lot. Especially the latter--- it got me out of the house while he fumed, lol!!!!

• olcowhand, massey driver, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#5710 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:25 PM

Been cleaning up most of day in the new shop after finishing repairs on my daughters car.  Also been organizing tools in the toolboxes, and I think I'll be the rest of the year at least just getting everything & their places figured out.  Still feeling awfully tired, but want to stay busy.  I was going to mow, but it came a 5 minute flood a while ago, but hoping to mow around the barns & pits later.

And yes Lorna, I pitty my poor Teresa having to put up with me, especially the first couple weeks.  Once I can walk around easily without my neck hurting, it'll be easier to take.  But your Olde Deere was right about the lists, and I'll likely make me one up as well.

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5711 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Just did some research on side effects of Lovenox injections.  Seems feeling of fatigue is quite common, along with upset GI system, so I'm on par with all that.  At least now I know why I'm so draggy.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5712 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 06:37 PM

2 days left before surgery, so I decided to cut the 3 or so acres of grass to test the discbine.  Well, as usual, problems.  One of the shaft bearings is out in one of the cutterhead gearbox modules.  Need to cut the hay Tuesday, but now it's down.  Have to do some calling for parts in the morning.  I may have to ask my neighbor to see if he can cut it for us, as I'm basically out of time.  Life as usual here on this farm!  Once I'm healed, I'm going through ALL the gearboxes to check everything out, plus change out the gear oil in all of them.  Ugg!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#5713 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:38 AM

Daniel, it's good to hear that the surgery is happening quickly. My father has had to wait for up to 18months to get knee or shoulder surgery. The wait was harder than the recovery. This surgery will help your neck problems but it should also give the rest of your body a well deserved rest. A 2 week break from all the routine stuff you do will have benefits for all those chronic aches and pains that seem to come up as we get older. It'll also be a good time to plan jobs, projects, trips, family outings etc. You might even find the time to start planning your next plow day! 

• olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5714 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 10:09 AM

Got the whole cutter assembly out this morning & took the top off each unit.  Fortunately only one gearbox has issues, and my tractor place has all the parts needed.  Fixing to head out to fetch parts now.  ALL the units get fresh oil while it's apart & easy to suck old oil out & put fresh in.  Should be finished sometime tomorrow.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5715 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 05:20 PM

WooHoo...got her going today!  I got back with the parts at 1:30 and we hustled!  BaumBaum was a LOT of help!   But the brute broke a 1 1/8 boxed end wrench & bent a Craftsman 3/4 into a starter wrench! LOL

1st pic is Craig (BaumBaum) with Dad and all the parts scattered in 2nd pic.  3rd pic is after 2 laps around field to test her out.  All is good!

P_20150518_1504571.jpg P_20150518_1505031.jpg P_20150518_1811131.jpg

• DougT, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 1 other said thanks