powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hope the head gasket job stays for a good long time this time around.  Driving those fence posts sounds like it kind of equates to splitting firewood by hand, not a fun job for sure.  May rolling out of the rack tomorrow morning not be too bad!!

#557 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 04:11 PM

60 posts driven, and 1/4 mile of new single strand of barb wire strung out.  I say strung out because only 1/2 is strung tight to the post.  The rest is just draped over every 5th post till I can get back to this job.  I got past the spot where the dang rogue heifer has been getting out, so I called it a fencing day.  My body said it's time to stop slogging in the mud.  Then I went out to Dad's & hooked up the cattle trailer.  3 cull cows to take off to market tomorrow morning after milking.  I am one tired old dog! 

#558 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yes, That mud seems to be a lot heavier then it was when we were 20 something. Get some rest and catch up on your GT reading. :D

#559 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 04:31 PM

That's a bunch, Daniel! A good hot shower might ease things up a bit, probably could use one in the morning to loosen things back up. I could do about ten and my shoulders would be toast.

#560 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Doing the re-torque hopefully solved your issues. Glad to hear Dad is doing better and able to gt out and do some work.

Sometimes it can be a pain to have them help us, but I would much rather them helping as to not be here at all. I think doing work keeps our Dad's sharp and also keeps them here with us, a reason to wake up every morning. :smilewink:

And I think Dad's from that generation enjoy the work also.  During Dad's last year, as his illness took his mind from him, he still wanted to do things.  Both the worst and best memory I have is of the day we had to take him to court and have a guardian appointed.  I arrived with a couple of items to store in his garage.  Before anyone knew it, he had slipped outside (we feared he would fall on the steps-and didn't think he really recognized people any more) came and tried to start grabbing stuff off the trailer with me.  His last spring, he brought me outside, pointed at his garden area, then went and stood by the tractor.  When I started it, he sat and watched to see what I would do.  A week or so later, he grabbed my sister and had her planting some beans, and then managed to get her to put in posts and run twine.   He knew there was work to be done, and while he wasn't always certain what it was, and couldn't communicate what he wanted, he did seem to know when something had been done correctly. 

• olcowhand, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#561 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hauled my 3 cull cows to market after the morning milking, then started more fencing.  No posts driven today, and believe it or not, I'm not sore at all from the 60 I pounded in yesterday.  I have the hot wire HOT again, so let them touch it now!  

Had a bad problem with a cow today.  Let the cows out to pasture after lunch and there is a washout area with 3' tall slopes below the barns.  Nothing high at all, but the dirt is slick clay.  One of my newly purchased cows slipped & fell over & rolled.  Her hip is either broken or out of socket.  She did get up, and I walked her up the hill to the sick pen, but she's just dragging the one rear foot, hopping on the good leg.  May see if our local butcher (who lives just 4 miles or so from me) can take her to save what we can.  She's not an old cow, but still likely just good for hamburger, but hey, it's it's better than paying to have her hauled off dead.  Always something!!  :( 

Got everything put away that might get caught by the winds expected tonight.  Possible severe weather.... more likely than not, HIGH winds.  Weather guy just said possible 70mph!   Hope we get spared from damage.  Lots of you guys in it's path, some already been through this same line of storms already.  Hope all are safe!

#562 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Sorry to hear about the cow.  Can't the vet set it or something?  We have storms coming tomorrow afternoon, possible severe I hoping not.  Looks like tomorrow will be a tech day indoors.  :(

#563 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Sorry about the new cow going down, hopefully she will make it to the freezer.

We have had very high winds all day, gusts up to 65 MPH, things have been flying all over the place around here.

#564 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Cows are kind of like horses with this type of injury.  Yes, it might be able to be set back, but it would come right back out again.

#565 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Sorry about the new cow going down, hopefully she will make it to the freezer.

We have had very high winds all day, gusts up to 65 MPH, things have been flying all over the place around here.

Hang onto your hats guys!!!!!

#566 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:23 PM

We were spared the high winds, but got close to an inch of good rain here. Sorry to hear about the cow, hope you can get some burger meat out of her.

#567 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Not windy at all here. Maybe it is waiting for me to get outside and start working.

#568 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Not windy at all here. Maybe it is waiting for me to get outside and start working.

It'll be visiting you Willie, and your hat will be much harder to hang onto!   :smilewink: 

#569 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I will cinch it up real tight.

#570 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Well, because of the new restrictions concerning mad cow fears, I can't have the cow with the displaced hip custom slaughtered because she is over 3 years old.  So after returning from the custom slaughter house, I called my friend at the stock market, and he said if she could make it off the trailer under her own power, they would sell her.   So I went back to Dad's to get the trailer a 2nd time in 2 days, but got just a mile up the road & found a pair of teenage boys with their S10 Blazer frame deep in the muddy ditch.  So I hooked my chain to them, pulled them out and headed on to get the trailer.  The cow shocked me by walking right up to the trailer, took a good look at everything, then hopped up into the trailer!  I didn't have to touch her even.  She was still standing when we arrived 20 miles down the road.  We opened the trailer end gate, and without any coaching, she walked right on out.  Dragging the disabled leg, but she had no problems getting around, albeit it carefully.  Back home to do the feeding, now time for a good shower & a shave!