• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 05:14 PM

We got the 2 poles set for the shop power today.  Neck is bothering me a lot now, but mostly the muscles.  I think (know really) that I pulled one when hooking up the 3pt post hole digger yesterday.  Then the neighbor on the back edge of our farm stopped by to let me know heifers have been on his side.  He's a great guy & said they hurt nothing, but knew I'd be alarmed that they were getting out, as they could get to the highway.  Got them rounded up, and I walked about 3/4 mile of fence.  Found a mess in the woods from dead trees & limbs.  Got the wire hanging in place, but tomorrow it has to be fixed better.  I will have to put up a whole new fence but not in the woods.  I will come to the field on the upper side of the woods & put in a whole new fence.  Inside a woods is the worst possible place for fences and never made any sense to me, but Dad never wanted to move it....but then I had to always repair it.  Any trees looking bad will be cut, so Fred will likely get some firewood.

• Craig., KennyP, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#5657 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 03:13 AM

The farm I grew up on had half of its perimeter fences in the trees.  Because the perimeter fences were run on the property lines, they could not be moved without obvious issues.

Over the years, Dad adopted two different solutions.  The first was simply to do as you intend to and leave the problem area unused.  Not an ideal solution as we were chronically short of graze and land area.

The second was to get a dozer in and clear the trees back from the fence line a distance equal to the height of the trees.  Judging by the state of the fence after the dozer was done, it must have been quite exciting a time or two.  Looks like the old D6D slid sideways into the fence more than once on the sidehills... In the years since, the few fence repairs required are a breeze due to improved access, and the cleared area has become reasonable graze (limited from shade) very popular with the cows in the warmer weather.  Grass will still grow on hillsides too steep to farm any other way.  If it didn't, the cows on foothills ranches would all starve! 

Edited by camdigger, May 07, 2015 - 03:16 AM.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5658 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 07:16 AM

The Poo may be gone but I am reminded of an old coffee mug a friend of mine had. It had the caption - Cows may Come and Cows May Go- But the "Bull" around here goes on forever!

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#5659 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 06:52 PM

The Poo may be gone but I am reminded of an old coffee mug a friend of mine had. It had the caption - Cows may Come and Cows May Go- But the "Bull" around here goes on forever!

LOL
  • trowel said thank you

#5660 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 10:25 AM

Went to local car scrap yard & got the missing head to block guide bushing.  Then got a 10,000lb load of fertilize for the pasture field.  Spreading that after lunch, then may go put the other head on my daughter's car, and maybe get other parts installed as well.  Surgery is 10am May 20th, so I should get all I need to accomplished by then.....I hope!

• grnspot110, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5661 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 11:34 AM

The countdown begins.... Good luck with the surgery. Hopefully, you can get all in order without doing yourself any more damage.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5662 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 11:41 AM

I understand the urge to get this all done and I'd be that way myself, but just don't hurt yourself and give them more to work on.
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5663 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 02:15 PM

Fertilized spread with no harm to myself.  Took the buggy back & Teresa & I are calling it a day.  Heading out towards supper, with some yard sales she spotted on way back from buggy return that we'll shop at on the way.  Sure is different without the cows.  I'll have to get busy after healing up, but for now I need to take it easy as I can.  Too tired to work on the car today, so maybe hit it in the morning.  

• grnspot110, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5664 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 03:40 PM

Take it easy! Yard sales can be a good move, might happen upon a nice GT to work on later!

• grnspot110 and Craig. have said thanks

#5665 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Found a pull type yard sweeper in good shape for $30.  Loaded it up & took it to Josh.  He's been wanting one a long time, but didn't want to lay out $200+ for one.  He tested it right after we left & texted me that it worked great.  Bought a 125 amp Jobsmart wire welder for just $70 & it's like brand new, not even a scratch.  Only burned a one pound roll of wire.

And yes Kenny, I'm looking out for anything I could make money from later!  :thumbs:

• grnspot110, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5666 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Sounds like some good scores there!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5667 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 05:52 PM

Worked on my daughter's car most of the day...about 6 to 7 hours.  Between my stiff neck, numb fingers, and all that's clogging my brain, it slowed me down.  I should have finished it today.  I did good though, as all that's left is bolt on/slide on goodies like alternator, throttle plate, and associated hoses & such.  I gave out at 5, came home & rested a bit, then mowed a while.  Then a shower & called it a day.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5668 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Found a pull type yard sweeper in good shape for $30.  Loaded it up & took it to Josh.  He's been wanting one a long time, but didn't want to lay out $200+ for one.  He tested it right after we left & texted me that it worked great.  

I would have brought one to plow day had I known you were looking, About ready to throw it in the scrap pile to get it out of my way.

• olcowhand said thank you

#5669 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Dad's central air fan motor went out today and I am away but he out a fan over the air return and it's working. May not be able to fix it tomorrow if it's stormy as it's an outside unit.Still need to finish Kaylin's car too, so no shortage of work to do.
  • Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5670 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:47 AM

It's funny how when we { sort of retire LOL } we think we'll have lots of free time. Somehow we end up busier then what we were before. Or at least this is how it seems to have gotten for me. Never a shortage of stuff to do. Guess we just have to try and pace ourselves and try to do less. { as if that's going to happen}

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks