• Please log in to reply
8665 replies to this topic

#5551 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 07:56 AM

Been following this thread all along but it,s taken me this long to absorb everything that has transpired. Hard to realise that "olcowhand" will no longer be milking cows. It,s a drastic change and I,m sure you spent many hours weighing your options. I, for one, am glad you will no longer be tied down to the tough schedule the cows demanded. It,s high time you get to enjoy your time doing what you like. I,m certain all will work out for the best. Any ideas when you surgery will happen yet? Thoughts and prayers go out to you and family.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5552 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 08:28 AM

Last of May earliest.  Surgeon's schedule is that full already, and I have to see my regular Dr Friday before I can be added to the surgical schedule.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#5553 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 12:13 PM

I know this is old news, but every day is the first day of your new life Daniel. When we quit grain farming and moved here 26 years ago, we stayed with the purebred end of the cattle business. We were already established in the marketing of breeding stock, so it was a no-brainer for us. Good breeding animals sell for better than twice as much as ordinary butcher creatures, but you know this already. The ones that don't make the grade as breeders still sell as beef, so both ends are covered. If you're not interested in the purebred marketing and promotional angle of it, a cow/calf operation is satisfying and a heck of a lot less demanding stress wise. Then you pick the best "mamma cow" breed or cross and use a terminal sire designed to put beef on a calf, and have at'er. All this is IMO of course, but for straight beef production with the least amount of trouble we liked a Herford X Angus momma cow bred to a Charolais bull. Easy calving, huge rate of gain on the calves, and wonderful market acceptance--- the commercial feeders love them. Then there's the growing niche market for organic, but that's another ball game entirely. Don't get me started, I can talk cattle and marketing etc. all day long, lol.
  • olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#5554 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 02:53 PM

Well.....no more milking cows.  The rest of the milking herd left today.  Walking them down to the holding pen to be loaded.

P_20150428_1250041.jpg

And there they go onto the trailer.

P_20150428_1310251.jpg P_20150428_1310361.jpg

Then our milk hauler Benji came & waited for the cattle trailer to leave to get our last load of milk from our farm.  Benji is talking with Dad.

P_20150428_1334131.jpg P_20150428_1334221.jpg

Actually I don't know exactly how I feel right now.  It's a mix of sadness, heartache, joy, and a new sense of freedom....along with a healthy amount of fear of what's to come, also with some excitement of new things to come.  One minute I may be reveling in the freedom, then the next I might be shedding tears.  It's truly a mixed bag to say the least......very least.  Almost like a longtime friend has passed.

Josh is going through my same exact emotions.  I hope the sadness part gets taken over by better emotions, that's for sure.....and soon!

• DougT, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#5555 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 03:45 PM

Daniel,  You will be walking a new trail.  And as one of my childhood heroes used to sing...... Happy Trails To You.    

Best wishes for your  surgery and afterwards.     Rick

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5556 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 04:40 PM

Hang in there Daniel. This thread gives me a mixed bag of emotions just reading it.

I will say I hope you continue to post your adventures and projects on your farm no matter what new venture you take.
  • olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5557 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 05:10 PM

I decided to mow the roadside for therapy on my John Deere F935.  Got 1/8th mile down the road & she just quit like I shut the key off.  Gauge showed some fuel, but I couldn't see any, plus some air in my fuel filter assembly.  I was positive it should be pretty full, and after walking for a few gallons of diesel, it only held a bit over a gallon.   I'm like "I just wanted some therapy"!  Anyway, I got her to run, but she barely did, but as soon as I got it off the side incline, she took off running fine.  I never looked to see if the oil light was on, but once I got back to the shop, I found the oil was at the add line.  Thinking maybe a safety sensor kicked in with low pressure, I topped it off & went back mowing, and she did perfectly.  So I got my therapy, and now from the emotional day, I am shot to heck.  Gonna rest.  Just carrying 3 gallons fuel made my neck hurt too.  

I don't talk much religion, but I thank God for all I have.  He got me through the massive clots in my lungs, and I'm hoping he'll get me through surgery & back to more of my old self again. I could also not have made it this far without my wife Teresa.  She is awesome!  

I hope & pray all of us here at the farm come out much happier in the end, and I feel we surely will, but it is scary changing gears like we are.  

• TheFarm2004, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#5558 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Daniel, reading along and remembering the day we sold the herd here. I remember the feelings and understand the emotions.
  • olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5559 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 05:22 PM

Daniel, reading along and remembering the day we sold the herd here. I remember the feelings and understand the emotions.

Alan, change was never something I readily accepted, and this change, while likely the best ever for us.....it scares the bajeebies out of me!

• MH81, Alc, Mr Electrak and 6 others have said thanks

#5560 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 06:25 PM

I know the feeling of changing and stepping into a whole new world.  It is very scary at first but as time goes one you will become accustomed to it.  When I retired from the Navy all I knew was a very structured like with someone telling you what and when to do things.  Then one day I'm a civilian and no one there telling me what I should do. Plus How was I going to make a living.  I tried different things and found something I enjoyed and was pretty good at and as they say the rest is history.  When I decided to retire I went through the emotions again but given time you get used to it and you will find something that you will enjoy doing and everything will be OK.  Ya just have to give it some time.

• olcowhand, Alc, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#5561 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 06:25 PM

Daniel, it is a huge change! There will be days you'll wake late and hurry out to milk. But I really believe it was time to move on for you.

• olcowhand, Craig., HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#5562 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 07:32 PM

Fear of change is normal, refusal to change is debilitating.
  • olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#5563 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 08:39 PM

Fear of change is normal, refusal to change is debilitating.

Yes, that is spot on right!  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5564 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 10:29 PM

Daniel, in the midst of my spring rush I have not had a chance to follow your doings and happenings, but I'm glad I took a second to do that tonight. 

Best wishes to you in your decisions.  I'm sure it wasn't easy, but I'm also sure you are being led along by Someone who knows a whole heck of a lot more than you do!  I bet that you won't miss the pressure and stress. 

Ben W.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5565 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 04:39 AM

It will be better for you in the long haul, but I remember when we loaded up the 300 head of feeder hogs off our farm years ago. It still hurts some, but very happy not to be in the farrowing barns all night long !!

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks