• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Daniel, I hate that for you. If you remember, I had to replace the water pump on my 7.3 last summer twice in 3 weeks. I hope the new studs will give you the sealing pressure you need.

#542 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Not posted here in a while, but keeping plenty busy.  Lost a cow 2 weeks ago, then today I had to put down a calf that momma cow stepped on.  It pulled the tail right out of the poor calf, right up the the tail head.  I put it on antibiotics hoping to save it, but I think it also had internal damage & wasn't eating & this morning was bloated, so it's time had come.  

Massey 285 in the shop again due to our own failure to do things by the book the last time, so a new head gasket job going on, and this time BY THE BOOK!  Never pays to get in a hurry.  Waste oil furnace ran out of waste oil this morning, so gonna round up some more. 

Going to town in a few minutes to get about 70 T-posts to rebuild a fence around a hay field.  Will begin that next week.

#543 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,345 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Sorry to hear of the herd losses, but I guess that is a part of that. I hope you quit having tractor problems before long. Course, you'll have them all rebuilt by them! Setting t-posts is not a lot of fun, nor stringing wire. Hope the weather is decent for that.

#544 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Not posted here in a while, but keeping plenty busy.  Lost a cow 2 weeks ago, then today I had to put down a calf that momma cow stepped on.  It pulled the tail right out of the poor calf, right up the the tail head.  I put it on antibiotics hoping to save it, but I think it also had internal damage & wasn't eating & this morning was bloated, so it's time had come.  

Massey 285 in the shop again due to our own failure to do things by the book the last time, so a new head gasket job going on, and this time BY THE BOOK!  Never pays to get in a hurry.  Waste oil furnace ran out of waste oil this morning, so gonna round up some more. 

Going to town in a few minutes to get about 70 T-posts to rebuild a fence around a hay field.  Will begin that next week.

Daniel, how do you put calfs/ farm animals down now. I know at one time some farmers just shot them,and what happens after that? if you dont want to answer i understand.I dont want animal activists coming down on farmers that put food in our mouths

#545 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Daniel, how do you put calfs/ farm animals down now. I know at one time some farmers just shot them,and what happens after that? if you dont want to answer i understand.I dont want animal activists coming down on farmers that put food in our mouths

22 cal is quick & painless.  I don't want them to suffer, so I make it quick.  They go to a rendering plant if a large animal.  If just a baby calf, I compost them using sawdust &/or woodchips.

#546 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Sorry to hear of the herd losses, but I guess that is a part of that. I hope you quit having tractor problems before long. Course, you'll have them all rebuilt by them! Setting t-posts is not a lot of fun, nor stringing wire. Hope the weather is decent for that.

Losing cattle is a part of cattle farming, dairy or beef.  Just gotta accept it & go on.    Driving T-posts is getting painful in my shoulders for sure, and I DO NOT look forward to it.  My Son & I can take turns driving them.  They make a pneumatic impact driver, but expensive!  Gotta uload my truck, then head back to my Southern States coop where I got the posts.  They have 100 gallons of waste oil I can have!   :dancingbanana: 

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#547 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Glad to hear you are getting some oil. Sorry for the loss of the herd. I know it's part of the deal, but still doesn't make it any easier.

I've been thinking of building a post pounded for the back of a GT. Just haven't got it all worked out. Thinking of a throw out clutch with a winch line to pick up the weight and let it free fall back down.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#548 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Daniel sorry to hear about the herd, yea it is part of the business but when you are trying to grow the heard and then lose one it makes it tough.  Been missing your blog on life on the farm, but I do understand you have had your hands full lately.

#549 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:57 AM

I've been thinking of building a post pounded for the back of a GT. Just haven't got it all worked out. Thinking of a throw out clutch with a winch line to pick up the weight and let it free fall back down.

Brian that sounds like a pretty good Idea.  Might make a few $$ if you could perfect it.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#550 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:32 PM

Oil pumped out of the big tank into our heater tank, so all is warm, or at least warmer.  MF285 ready to run tomorrow morning.  We'll run her till full temp, likely having to block the radiator's air flow, then re-torque the head.  Hope it lasts a good long time this go-round.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#551 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Gonna be tired tonight...heck, I already am!  Milked the cows, then headed out with fence supplies.  I've drove in 45 T-posts so far, with about 10 more to drive.  Then it's all afternoon adding another strand of wire, pulling old posts (pulled some as I went) and securing the wires to the posts.  2 wires will be hot wires, and I think I have barely enough insulators to do the job.  It won't get finished today, but we'll (so far just me) get it finished soon.  Raining right now, so came in for early lunch, hoping it'll clear some.  If it doesn't clear off, I'm just gonna get wet.

#552 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Oil pumped out of the big tank into our heater tank, so all is warm, or at least warmer.  MF285 ready to run tomorrow morning.  We'll run her till full temp, likely having to block the radiator's air flow, then re-torque the head.  Hope it lasts a good long time this go-round.

Dad's feeling better, so he took over on the 285 repair.  It's just a few more bolts in the sheet metal & she'll be finished.  After torquing the heads to 110ft pounds, then running to full warm, when he went to re-torque them, they all broke at just 80ft pounds.  I think we'll have it this time.

• Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#553 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Doing the re-torque hopefully solved your issues. Glad to hear Dad is doing better and able to gt out and do some work.

Sometimes it can be a pain to have them help us, but I would much rather them helping as to not be here at all. I think doing work keeps our Dad's sharp and also keeps them here with us, a reason to wake up every morning. :smilewink:

#554 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:25 AM

Daniel, I've seen those air powered post drivers and man are they slick. Whenever they do construction in the city they put up a high chainlink fence around the site. I've seen 

them drive those 2" metal posts in a minute or so. Where I live it's pretty hard to drive a post. Just too many rocks.

#555 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Those post impacts start at around $1200, so one is not in my future.  Ground is soft now, so really not hard to drive.  It's the high lifting & such that's hard on my shoulders, and our home brew driver is pretty heavy, but it's not been nearly as bad as I figured.  But then I don't know how I'll feel when I wake up tomorrow!  Still raining, but looks like it'll just be sprinkly rain in a little bit.

• UncleWillie said thank you