• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:59 AM

Milking took just a bit over 30 minutes.  Schedules have always been tight & consistent, so now I am thrown off completely.  It's very hard to explain, but it is so weird.  Bittersweet is the word.  It will be more sweet, but it's gonna take a lot of adjustment.  Come Tuesday milking will be in my past.  Once I have surgery I'm sure I won't be worried about all this, at least for a while.  Just looking out the parlor at the calf hutches & other things kinda brought tears to my eyes, and there will be more.  Then there are the smiles that come over me when I think how much freedom I will be gaining.  Weird.....just weird!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., IamSherwood and 8 others have said thanks

#5507 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 09:13 AM

As I have made course changes in my life, some have also been bittersweet.  I always wonder am I making the right decision and for me that can get very stressful.  But as I look back all of my course changes have worked out and ended up being a good thing.  I think in a year from now you will also be looking back and think that was a good decision.  Any date on Surgery?

• olcowhand, Craig., oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5508 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 11:10 AM

I had to go back and read, the getting out of milking just kind of hit me, wasn't expecting that.
How will this affect Josh and his livelihood?
  • olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5509 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,226 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 11:54 AM

I had to go back and read, the getting out of milking just kind of hit me, wasn't expecting that.

I wasn't either, and had to reread some posts.

Going to be a life changer for sure.  But you will work something out.  Beef cattle sounds like a good suggestion since you have the infrastructure for it.  I'm sure there are other head aches with it. 

The mower repair shop out of your new building is a great idea, but not sure what cash flow you would make doing it and paying taxes.

Me and dad ran a little mower repair shop out of the garage 2 summers ago.  We did alright with it.  We actually had to turn work away since there are NO small engine repair shops around us.  We did tune ups, new belts, blade sharpening, oil changes, ect.  We averaged 500-800 a week during the spring/summer. 

A lot of people brought in those little walmart/kmart junker push mowers and paid us 50 bucks(plus parts) to put in a new plug, change the oil, rebuild(or clean) the carb and sharpen the blade.  They were happy with the price.  Said Sears wanted double that plus parts for doing the same work(Not sure just what I was told)

Every time someone came in with them I told them junk it and buy a new one for 99 bucks at walmart.  But, they wanted theirs fixed.

• olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5510 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 05:31 PM

Right now nothing is for certain, but I still have the 80 or so heifers to raise up, breed with the bull, then sell as springers which will be a decent amount of income.  I will likely raise some beef, lease the cropland, and possibly go in the repair business in the new shop.  I went to get calf feed today & ran into a guy there I intended to see at his place on my way home.  I wanted to see him about putting out a crop on my place since it's planting time.  We struck a deal right then & there, so I'll get several thousand income off that this year.  I'm ok for the rest of this year financially, so I have some time to get things mapped out.  It has been & will continue to be a mental nightmare getting readjusted to my new life, but we'll get it all figured out.  Also, he'll be putting out soybeans, so that will be good as far as plow day if I can manage it this year.  I won't know till August or so at least as far as a time frame for plow day.   I'll have to buy cover crop seed for the plow day field, so cost will become an issue this go round.  Things may be real tight for me.  But if I can possibly have a plow day....I WILL!

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 7 others have said thanks

#5511 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 05:33 PM

Great to finally hear some good new !, diversify is the name of the game now days. I hope Josh can jump on with you.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5512 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 05:52 PM

Jesse, while I was at our Southern States coop, I also mentioned Josh would be looking for employment.  Dewey, manager of the store said he'd start Josh Monday morning on a part time basis (company policy on new hires) and if he worked out well, he'd go full time with some benefits.  Josh is excited and is going to see Dewey tomorrow about it.  Things really REALLY improved today!

• NUTNDUN, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 7 others have said thanks

#5513 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 05:56 PM

That is great to hear !! hopefully it will continue to improve. Things have been a bit rough for you guys.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5514 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 06:01 PM

As I have made course changes in my life, some have also been bittersweet.  I always wonder am I making the right decision and for me that can get very stressful.  But as I look back all of my course changes have worked out and ended up being a good thing.  I think in a year from now you will also be looking back and think that was a good decision.  Any date on Surgery?

Thanks Bill, I think I will be much happier once settled in my new life.  As to surgery date, my family Dr who handles my blood thinners hasn't gotten back in contact with the surgeon (as of yesterday) but as soon as they get together, they will get a date together & contact me.  I have to go off thinners 5 days ahead of surgery which makes me nervous, but I'm sure it'll be ok.  I still have the Tulip blood filter in place in case. 

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#5515 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 06:07 PM

Let us know the date so we can pray for a good smooth operation. We will be expecting your return.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5516 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 06:21 PM

I'll have to buy cover crop seed for the plow day field, so cost will become an issue this go round.  Things may be real tight for me.  But if I can possibly have a plow day....I WILL!

Hmmmm, sounds like we need to bring planters, too!

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5517 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 06:53 PM

I didn't realize that you were doing that,selling all the milking cows etc: Thing's will be very different for you,but we all do adjust and things will eventually become your new normal. When I had my life altering accident it took me a long time to adjust to what I call normal now. Eventually you'll be comfortable in your new way of living and doing things. Keep your spirits up it won't take that long before you'll be thinking of stuff to do etc; to keep yourself busy. At least being here on GT Talk etc: you have lots of support from your extended friends and family. Just tell us of how your feeling etc: and I'am sure lots of us will be willing to lend you our ear as well as give you help /advice etc;. Anytime you need to talk etc: just ask.Your GT Talk friend Larry

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5518 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,643 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:25 PM

It's good to hear the immediate things are going well! Now to get you lined out for future income on a less hourly schedule!

• olcowhand, massey driver, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5519 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:33 PM

It has been a long time since Daniel has been able to work on his GTs and have days off to himself, looking forwards to that. This could be it hopefully.

• olcowhand, massey driver, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5520 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 03:02 PM

Congratulations Daniel, difficult decision made, and you're already thinking in the future. I'm prejudiced, but beef cows are a good option and it would be a waste to not use the set-up and cow knowledge you already have in place. The way cattle prices are now, getting different cows will certainly take care of any income tax issues that may come up, lol. You have plenty of time to consider your options anyway. Learning how not to be working all day long was the biggest problem My Olde Deere had as we tried to slow down.. I'm cheering for you.

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks