• Please log in to reply
8695 replies to this topic

#5476 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 03:56 PM

I too have been reading about your difficulties. Boy,this has been a rough start to your year. Maybe after this is over you can settle down to a good year. I have never been a farmer but always wanted to. Worked for my neighbor many decades ago. Did lots of plowing with his Oliver 1800. Been wanting to come down for a visit and get away. Let me know when would-be best and we will come down for a week. I'm sure I can be of some help. Here,s to a speedy recovery.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5477 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 12:36 PM

Went to the auction & stayed till I couldn't stand around any longer.  Got me a nearly (not even a scratch on it) new Ridgid reciprocating saw, and a box of a few tools.  Spent almost $70.  The twrenches are like new & would cost that much by themselves retail.

The first thing I buy at an auction is a chair or stool and use it all day. Generally only costs a buck or two and is well worth the envious looks I get before the day is over--- sometimes I can resell it before I leave.  To paraphrase Quiggly, "said I was old, didn't say I was stupid"  lol.

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5478 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 01:38 PM

The first thing I buy at an auction is a chair or stool and use it all day. Generally only costs a buck or two and is well worth the envious looks I get before the day is over--- sometimes I can resell it before I leave. To paraphrase Quiggly, "said I was old, didn't say I was stupid" lol.

Didn't think to take a chair, and the set of 6 folding chairs didn't sell for 3 hours! I turned my attention at just the wrong time and didn't get a bid in. I can use a ton of chairs at my plow days.
  • Craig., KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5479 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 03:00 PM

Got most of the air lines ready.  I also have the self retracting hose reel mounted at the end of the line in pic below.  Forgot to take a pic.

P_20150420_1441031.jpg

I have 3 quick connect mounted.  One is in middle of the work bench and will have a curly hose for air at the bench.  It will have to have a mini regulator on it, as the compressor is 150psi, and those curlies aren't rated for that high.

P_20150420_1440491.jpg

This is is near the inside corner of the shop.  It will be for inflating tires at the tire changer that I will be moving soon.

P_20150420_1439361.jpg

This one is on the wall close to the smaller garage door.  Likely won't be needed much where it is, but it's good to have if/when needed.

P_20150420_1439561.jpg

Not sure if I'll get more shop work done tomorrow as the surgeon appointment is mid morning.

My shoulders are aching, and lots more than they should from the work I've done.  Guess it's from the mess in my neck.  Looking forward to talking with the surgeon tomorrow & forming a plan.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 5 others have said thanks

#5480 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 03:16 PM

Hopefully it will be good. Shop is looking great Daniel :thumbs:

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5481 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Looking GREAT Daniel, your getting closer each and everyday to having it completed. You can't have to many locations for air, I can promise you that.. :thumbs:

• olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5482 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 06:30 PM

Air lines look good! the more places to hook in, the better.

Hope the appointment goes well!

• olcowhand said thank you

#5483 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Teresa had Bible study with the church ladies for 2 hours tonight, so I went back out & got the air compressor moved & hooked up.  Still not gotten the permanent power lines to the shop yet, but the old wire that ran the shed will handle the compressor and lights as long as we don't run all the lights at once.   The compressor wires are just rigged for the moment and I will put proper junction boxes in soon.

Got her pumped up and all lines holding air tight.  The drain cock on the bottom of the air tank wouldn't shut off completely, so I bled the tank down and replaced the valve with a solid plug.  Later I will put in a short length of hydraulic line & ball valve to come out the side so I can easily bleed off condensate more often.

As it is, we can now use the shop, so I'll start moving stuff from the old shop sometime this week.  The corn planter goes in first thing when tools are moved.  Ground will be a long time drying enough to plant, so I'll have plenty of time to get it in better shape.  More rain this weekend, plus cool temps.  Gonna be a late corn season this year.

P_20150420_2017001.jpg P_20150420_2017571.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#5484 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 08:10 PM

OK Daniel, it's time to rest for the evening before decide to pull something in there and work on it tonight. :poke:

Really looking good !! :thumbs:

• olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5485 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 08:18 PM

OK Daniel, it's time to rest for the evening before decide to pull something in there and work on it tonight. :poke:

Really looking good !! :thumbs:

No buddy, I'm in for the night and have been for 45 minutes.  Just ate some sliced strawberries!  Neck & shoulders sore, but got some valuable work done!  :thumbs:  I was going to put sawdust in the stalls today, but Dad borrowed Josh for a while, so Josh was late scraping manure from the barns & lot.  I can't put the sawdust in while he's scraping, as the dust gets to him bad.  I may have time after the surgeon appointment tomorrow to get the stalls dusted.  

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5486 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:51 AM

What's an air compressor?

Good to see that in there. Time to get the power hooked up so you have plenty to work with. Not fun to turn this off so you can use that! I have that issue right now.

• olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5487 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:56 AM

What's an air compressor?

Been waiting for that! LOL
  • Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5488 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:07 PM

Got the smaller compressor moved to the old shop tonight.  Besides milking, this is all the farm work I got done today.  

The spinal surgeon said it would be best to have surgery soon, but will be ok to wait till mid June if I was careful.  So I will wait so I can get some things done & Josh make his California trip.  Feel better just knowing a plan is now in place.  Surgery won't be fusion, but rather removing bone from the back of my cervical spine to make more room for my spinal cord.  I have 3 bulging discs, so fusion from the front would lock 4 vertebrate together, which would take most of my movement from my neck.  More pain after this style surgery, but I'll just have to get through it.  At least I'll still be able to turn my head.

• Craig., KennyP, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#5489 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:12 PM

I see this as good news, I know, i know,  more problems and pain, hey !, you will have another story for the tractor club  :wave:

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5490 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 06:08 PM

I think that may be a much better solution for you, Daniel! Fusion just isn't the only fix and it limits what you can do.

• olcowhand, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks