#5386 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 08:14 AM

Had a 95 Buick Regal with 3.1 { this car was a total lemon} and the intake gasket would fail every 2 yrs.What a poor design it has a small rubber piece that seals the intake to the head.A o-ring covers more surface then what those little rubber inserts do.The last time I did it I also put some high heat silicone around the gasket contact area's and it seemed to work better. The last time I did the intake gasket was because of the head failure.One of the valve seats came loose and of course the valve wouldn't close so it damaged the piston. Once I got it all fixed and running we ended up trading it in for a different vehicle.Was just fed up with the constant breakdowns/repairs.

One thing I should mention is that even though the repair manual says you need to remove the injectors. Don't it can be done without removing the injectors, just be careful to not set the intake down on anything that will possibly damage them. It saves a whole lot of time if you don't remove them.

Edited by massey driver, April 05, 2015 - 08:45 AM.

• olcowhand, Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5387 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 08:25 AM

LOL....96 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1, and may be the intake gasket leaking out the edge. Won't know till we get into it.

Intake manifold is a heck of a lot easier to change.

#5388 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Go to my pulmonologist (lung Dr) tomorrow.  Hoping for some insight to why I'm not feeling so great.  No energy at all for several days.  Not sleeping well from the nerve issues, so that may be the bulk of it.  Staring down the barrel of a LOT of work once things dry up from the expected wet week ahead, so I need the energy like very bad!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5389 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 09:37 AM

Its tuff when you can't seem to get enough air in your lungs , hope thing go well
  • olcowhand said thank you

#5390 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 09:53 AM

Getting your intake manifold checked?

Sorry couldn't resist that. Hope they can figure something and get you feeling better.

#5391 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 10:03 AM

Looking forward to the Dr's appointment about my neck tomorrow morning.  I need this pain gone.

So what did the DR say?

#5392 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 10:09 AM

The neck/spine Dr set me up for an MRI on the 14th, and getting tested (shock test) for carpal tunnel & elbow a day or so after that.  Won't really know anything till after these tests, but she says I do have nerve issues in my neck, but not the "why", which the MRI will show. She said it might all be arthritic growth, and if so, it'll be tough to find a med to treat it with due to being on blood thinners.  She said it was good I came in before anything became irreversible.

Just mowed the yard, and it wasn't enjoyable like it should be, but at least getting something done.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#5393 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 10:11 AM

Getting your intake manifold checked?

Sorry couldn't resist that. Hope they can figure something and get you feeling better.

Intake manifold, and entire air filter assembly getting checked!  And hey, I need a good sense of humor!  Come to think of it, I don't recall them checking my EGR valve!   :D

• Craig., KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5394 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 12:05 PM

Being every time I go to mow & the left rear tire on the JD430 is flat, I thought I'd put the new ag tires on it, or at least one today.  But when I got the tire off, I find that some IDIOT had filled the tubeless tires with calcium & the rim was eaten up a bit.  Now I have to clean up the rim, then brush on rust converter, then paint.   I'm hoping I don't find any pinholes, as then I'll have to buy expensive tubes.  Turning out to be a much bigger job than I wanted to get into today.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5395 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 01:23 PM

Well, I found a large pinhole.  I cleaned it up & soldered over the hole, and tomorrow while out to my Dr visit, I'll pick up a pair of tubes.  I'm sure the other rim looks just like this one inside, but it hasn't leaked yet.  Got this rim's inside under paint. For now I'll not ballast them just to make the job easier.  I can always pump ballast in later if I feel the need.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#5396 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 01:43 PM

That'll make it get short of breath real quick!

#5397 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 02:11 PM

Wow Daniel there isn't much that would have stopped that lightening hit.  I wouldn't be standing outside holding an umbrella around there during a storm. I used to live in a house that got hit by lightening fairly often although none of the surrounding houses did. Odd thing was it always fried the bedroom telephone. It got hit one day and I just unplugged it and decided not to have a bedroom phone anymore. The next storm the microwave was zapped. I just started buying cheap phones at yard sales. The phone company never could explain why it did that.

• olcowhand, Alc and Craig. have said thanks

#5398 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 05:58 PM

More storms early this morning, then we had some strong ones roll through just a half hour or so ago.  I unplugged almost everything!  More storms expected during the week.  This is getting old.  No telling when we'll get to finish emptying the manure pit....heck, the rain is filling the dang thing back up!  :wallbanging:   It's gonna be a late corn planting this year almost for sure.  

I got 4 more sheets of ceiling in the new shop today, and another row of 3 light fixtures.  I bought another Lenox 4" hole saw, and the dang thing started dulling before I finished one hole in the ceiling metal !  I put it right back in the package & Lowes will be getting it back.  I even sprayed lube on it & cut slow, and it still dulled the teeth tips right off.  Warning....do not buy Lenox cutters!  The package shows it cutting wood and angle iron...what a joke!  It even stated on the package that this "newest" style lasts twice as long as the previous version!  I will never buy any Lenox tool again in my lifetime.  Lowes didn't have any other make in 4" or I'd have bought another brand.  I finished the last 2 holes today with the first cutter after using a cutoff wheel to again slice some half-A new teeth into it.  It got the job done, but not in style.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#5399 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 06:07 PM

I've not had the issues you are having with the hole saws. But the large ones (above 3") I use my slow speed 1/2" drill.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#5400 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 07:29 PM

I'll have to see what brand the 4" one we used at the cabin is. We drilled 30 holes in the ceiling steel. That one came from a friend who used it to drill holes in the side of truck beds

Edit went down and looked. Name is wore off. All I can say is that it's yellow

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 07, 2015 - 08:01 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks