Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 22 votes

Life On & Off My Farm - Life Changes

• Please log in to reply
8682 replies to this topic

#526 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 03:54 PM

He'll probably head back up to the barn bragging on how he got Daniel all wet!!!  One way to impress the female's. :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#527 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 03:56 PM

He'll probably head back up to the barn bragging on how he got Daniel all wet!!!  One way to impress the female's. :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

Next time I'll take my BB gun & impress HIM!  Kinda hard to hit a swinging target though!  :D 

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#528 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 04:55 PM

Bulls and low/sagging fences...reminds me of my step-dad's farm.

The neighbor to the East was pretty lax about maintaining the line fence, and his half was always in poor shape.

Now this old boy was too danged tight to buy a bull, and just about every year when his cows came into heat, dad's bull would 'go visiting'.

Now when you run the herd bull with the cattle, you KNOW that he's missing, but Morris wouldn't say anything, and sure enough, after the neighbor figured all of his cows were bred,Morris would get a call..

"Dang it Morris, your bull is over here eating up my pasture, you better come and get him".

Morris never really got upset about it, and it was standing joke in the area.  There were a couple of guys that made bets on how long it would take for Morris to get the call :D :D :D

Edited by OldBuzzard, January 13, 2013 - 04:56 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#529 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Trees& tree limbs is my biggest problem with fences.  I'm tempted to cut every tree within 100' of fenceline!  However, that would eliminate about 40% of my woodland!   Most of the trees are on steep hillsides too, so they help hold the soil in place.  All this rain the last few days has likely root-wadded a tree or 2.  I'll know tomorrow.

#530 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Escaped cattle are never fun. Glad you got all yours back. Now go ride those fence rows and get them all fixed.

#531 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Daniel.......I have just sat and read ALL 36 pages of this thread..............reminds of my days helping my uncle on his farm when I was a kid but also makes me realize just how hard of a life that it really is.  Be sure to let me know when the next plow day is in plenty of time so that I can plan my trip.  Might have to come up early Friday night and hang out for a while and get a tour of the farm.

• olcowhand and twostep have said thanks

#532 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Man, long day.  Soon as I finished morning milking, I loaded up the 4 wheeler & went running fence lines.  Found where they had been getting out & it was inland of our farm from the highway, but they just followed the creek 1/4 mile till they found pavement.  Got everything patched up (several places actually), then shot to town at lunch for more T-posts.  My luck, they were completely out of posts!  :(   Nobody wants to keep stock anymore!

So I came back home & separated some heifers getting close to calving.  Put them in the dry lot, which also had fence issues, so I got those repaired.  The older dry cows wouldn't mess with the bad places in the fence due to the terrain, but these "new to the field" heifers would be looking to find their way back where they came from.  Barb wire is patched, and the electric fence wire is hot as heck.  

A young bull is also looking ill, actually pretty rough, so I got him up & put him in the barn so he can recuperate out of the cold.  Then I had to switch tractors on the silage wagon.  Sounds like the MF285 has blown yet another head gasket.  The only other tractor that will work well on the wagon is our MF1100, but the wheels are kicked out too wide.  So I adjusted them inward, then put hooked the wagon to it.  The block heater cord was in rough shape, so I had to do some careful taping to keep it going till I can get a new one.  

I am beat!  Teresa just said supper is ready, and I'm hungry!  Talk with ya later.

• twostep said thank you

#533 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 05:57 PM

That was a busy day! I bet supper hit the spot. Rest a bit, my friend, you deserve it!

#534 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Kick up your feet and rest a spell. I have a pile of t posts. Saving them to run a fence across the field.

Hope you bull recovers.

#535 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sounds like you had a busy day!  It never fails go to town for something and nope gotta order it.  Frustrating :mad2: !

Enjoy your dinner, you earned it.

#536 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Our dedicated silage feed mix wagon tractor, a Massey MF285 is down now. dad said it had a loud knock coming from her & lost a cylinder. Dad started taking her down, but head not off yet. I first suspected a blown head gasket, possible broken piston from Dad's description. Valves all still have proper clearance, so I would think a broken valve could be ruled out. We have the MF1100 on wagon duty now. Did some more bush hogging after morning milking, and will be bedding the stalls with sawdust after lunch.

Turns out what I told Dad first was correct. I never even got to hear what Josh & Dad said was a loud knock. It happened to them on my day off & I never heard it run after. I told Dad the knock may have just been from a blown head gasket & turns out that's all it was,....blown between cylinders. Not long since we put a new gasket on due to an oil passage area leak. This time the head gets decked, and a full valve job done on it. Not a big deal fortunately! I want to be sure to torque the head myself. Dad being almost 87, he sometimes slips up, as even I do at 54.

Well, the 285 head gasket only lasted 3 months!  Dad said he checked the block deck for warpage & it was alright, but I will check it again myself to be certain.  I got the head pulled off this morning, and blown in the same spot, between 3rd & 4th cylinders.  It may be our own fault, as we did not run the engine & re-torque the head due to the fact we always just torqued higher the 1st time & always did ok.  This time I'll rig up a small fuel tank so we can easily get at the head bolts to re-torque them.  This model engine has been notorious for blowing head gaskets.  I've read Massey upgraded the bolts to help, as the OE stretched.  They even tried going to studs, but then went back to tougher bolts.  I'll see about the higher grade head bolts as well.  Really, the main problem is not enough surface area between 1 & 2, and 3 & 4 cylinders.  Between cylinders 2 & 3 the area is twice as wide and they NEVER blow gaskets there at all. 

#537 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 05:18 PM

The cylinder deck checked out fine.  I called an expert Massey tech today & he gave me the lowdown on this engine.  He said with most engines you can bypass the re-torque by over torquing the 1st time, but NOT on this engine.  He also said I need to get grade 8 studs to replace the head bolts, and torque, then run engine till good & warm, then re-torque to 110ft pounds (both times).  Factory books call for 90 to 95ft pounds.  So I think we'll be good to go if we heed his advice, which I WILL!  Got a top end gasket kit ordered & have to get some grade 8 studs & nuts from Fastenal.

• KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#538 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 05:30 PM

Best of luck this time around, Daniel. There's nothing worse than to go back in after just a short time!

#539 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Boy isn't having to do something twice fun!  I just replaced the starter on the bike back in October and guess what I get to do again??  :mad2:   Hopefully the recommendations from the rep will resolve your problem and you won't have any more problems.

#540 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Daniel , did the Massey rep say anything about harden washers or other suggestions that they found works  ?  Al