• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 01:06 PM

Oh, and I asked the Dr about the 3 smaller fingers on both hands being numb at the tips & how my entire right arm will tingle.  He said just like my surgeon that it's in my neck.  If it gets worse, I will need a scan of my neck to see what needs done.  He said right now isn't a good time, especially if it's something I can live with at the moment, and it is.  Mostly annoying, but makes it hard to pick up small items sometimes.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., EricR and 1 other said thanks

#4787 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 05:54 PM

Found another spot in the fence needing a couple new wires strung.  Ran out of time today, as I had the 4 wheeler & Josh was gonna need it to get the cows in for milking.  I was tired anyway, so I'll finish tomorrow for sure, likely by noon.  Then I'll finally be able to separate breeding age/size heifers to go back in this field with the bull.  Will get that done this week.

• Alc, Craig., EricR and 1 other said thanks

#4788 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Tell me something Daniel, Why does a fence deteriorate so much when there is no livestock in the pasture? You can have cows in a pasture all summer with no problems and next spring you will spend 2 days mending fence :wallbanging:   Except for an ice storm the type of winter doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

Edited by Cvans, January 19, 2015 - 07:15 PM.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4789 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Tell me something Daniel, Why does a fence deteriorate so much when there is no livestock in the pasture? You can have cows in a pasture all summer with no problems and next spring you will spend 2 days mending fence :wallbanging:   Except for an ice storm the type of winter doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

Question of the ages Chris!   For me it's about half animal damage, whether the cattle, or deer, and the other half down trees or tree limbs.  Sometimes it's running equipment too close snagging the fence, but that gets fixed at time of damage.  Today was mostly down tree limbs in the areas even a 4 wheeler wouldn't get to, so more walking today.

• Craig., KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#4790 EricR OFFLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 07:48 PM

Oh, and I asked the Dr about the 3 smaller fingers on both hands being numb at the tips & how my entire right arm will tingle.  He said just like my surgeon that it's in my neck.  If it gets worse, I will need a scan of my neck to see what needs done.  He said right now isn't a good time, especially if it's something I can live with at the moment, and it is.  Mostly annoying, but makes it hard to pick up small items sometimes.

I know just how you feel Daniel, I have the same problem, but mine is degenerating discs, and arthritis in there also but I go to the back cracker once a month to keep me out of the hospital till he can't do anymore for me! 

• Alc, Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4791 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 09:46 PM

Question of the ages Chris!  

I finally came up with a cure for this mystery. Thankfully there is a stream through the length of the pasture so now it's in CRP. This coming summer the grandson and I will take all the fences down.  :thumbs:

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4792 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 08:46 AM

I have that same problem, I have one whole side of my field that has downed trees on the fence and I do not have a good working chain saw right now. Good thing the goats don't take much pasture, I can keep them in the smaller section.

• Craig. said thank you

#4793 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 08:52 AM

I finally came up with a cure for this mystery. Thankfully there is a stream through the length of the pasture so now it's in CRP. This coming summer the grandson and I will take all the fences down.  :thumbs:

You will have to let it grow up most of the year, correct?  I've never put land into crp, so know little of it.  Sure is nice when you can take fences down, unless you have neighbors with wayward animals.

• Craig. said thank you

#4794 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 11:23 AM

You will have to let it grow up most of the year, correct?

Yes. I think they said after August first I can do what I want out there. If I do any weed control before that date they need to be contacted before hand. The land cannot be tilled though. It gets sprayed once every three years and I use a sickle mower for spot problems. We were lucky in that it's a long  piece and the creek runs through it or they would not have been interested. As it was they were very eager to set it aside. 

Edited by Cvans, January 20, 2015 - 11:25 AM.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4795 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Been a VERY productive morning.  Just 11:15 am here, and I've milked the cows, caught & given shots to 9 calves, 3 of which have active pneumonia, and the others suspect.  Then I went to finish fence repairs when what did I see?......the missing baby calf of the nutty cow!  We knew the nut had a calf, but couldn't find it.  As I went through the alfalfa field to fence, I saw it in the corn field where the awol nutty cow appeared.  I tossed all the fencing supplies off at the barn, grabbed a couple hay bale strings & shot to the field.  The calf was about 100 yards away when I appeared over the hilltop.  I stopped, then made cow moos.  The calf came trotting over to me.  It got as close as touching my fingers, got a whiff of what certainly wasn't "momma", and it backed away, but stayed close.  I started off slow on the 4 wheeler to see if I could draw it away from the nearby woods, with deep gullies full of briars.  The calf followed me about a 1/4 mile to the middle of the 70 acres behind Josh's.  It still wouldn't come to me though, but it was safe to start the chase now, being we were so far away from any woodline.  The chase didn't last long, as she tired quick.  Got her tied up and in a stall.  If it exhibits ANY nutty traits, it's outta here!  Anyway, after that excitement, I went back to the fence.  Strung up 2 new wires about 75 yards long up a steep hill while dragging it between all the cedars grown near the fence line, which made it a lot more difficult.  Got it finished, and glad not to have to fence for a while at least.

Here's a view back to my homestead from near where I was fencing this morning.

fence view.jpg

• Craig., KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#4796 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 12:47 PM

attachicon.giffence view.jpg

That's pretty neat. Keeping that big red arrow in the sky over the house would make it easy to find your way home!!  :D

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#4797 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 12:53 PM

fencing_shirt_design_by_ajrosen-d4sreyz.png GyNMaEMRWy-4.png YouFightLikeACow_8942.jpg

Edited by UncleWillie, January 20, 2015 - 12:56 PM.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4798 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 02:47 PM

ROFLMBO

#4799 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 02:49 PM

Just got back from my eye Dr.  Eyes are dialated & vision blurry.  Eyes have changed as I knew, but a wad of cash will correct it, $592 for the glasses, and whatever the charge is for the eye exam.  Be glad to get the new glasses for sure.  I did find out I have young cataracts in both eyes.  Hope they grow up real slow!

• Craig. and Cvans have said thanks

#4800 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Dang it man you are falling apart.

• Craig. said thank you