• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 04:12 PM

Been out placing protein lick tubs with the little Massey's FEL.  Got that done, then we saw the nutty heifer out in the corn field.  She's been missing for a few days, but I knew she was back in the woods next to the corn field.  For those that remember several months ago, this nutty heifer (1200lbs at the time) came at me full charge, head at an angle to drill me so I had to jump at her & scream as loud as I could to bluff her.  It worked, and I got the heck out of there.  Most scared I've ever been.  Well, right after that my vet gave her enough sedative through an air gun to knock down an elephant, but not this crazy animal....just made her slightly slower.  Ever since then I just avoid her, but it was worrying me what to do, as something had to be done.  There is no way any gate on the place would hold her.  She was constantly tearing up fences.  She is 1500lbs now & meaner than ever.  She had torn down our corral of 2x10's behind the locking headgates a while back, and the locking headgates wouldn't hold her.  She would knock her head around so hard the locks would let go.  So today when I saw her, I went up there on the 4 wheeler & she headed back to the alfalfa field, running through the fence to get there.  Then she stood near the barns, not wanting to mess with the electric fence.  I went around there & that head went high & she started my direction.  Time had come for this saga of fear to end.  I went & got my .308 and put her down.  ANY attempt to catch her would have ended badly, and no amount of money is worth the risk.  She dropped like a stone, and I now have such a feeling of relief.  I could have used the money she would have brought IF she were catchable, but someone would have gotten hurt or killed.  The vet could have given her a huge dose, but then we would have had to hold her for days for the sedative to leave her system.  Plus, even if I could have gotten her knocked out & into the trailer to wait out the meds, she then could have hurt the guys at the stockyards, and Barry, the guy who handles the unloading has a bad leg already, so again, the risk outweighed any potential benefits.  Sometimes you just have to do what you KNOW you HAVE to do.  

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#4757 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 04:36 PM

I think you made the best decision on that one, Daniel! Someone was bound to get hurt by her!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4758 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 04:40 PM

VARY Glad you took that route, if u remember thats how my Grandpa (Dad's Dad) ended up dieing from that vary kinf of situation. Dont want another family members going that way!
  • olcowhand and EricR have said thanks

#4759 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 05:03 PM

As I was reading your last post I was thinking why not just put her down.  You did!  Can you not butcher her and at least make some steaks out her?  Get some good out of the situation.

#4760 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 05:54 PM

I wouldn't even want to eat the nutty thing.  Even though she was nutty since young, it makes me wonder what with all the "Mad Cow Syndrome" & all.  I figured best to just drop her & have her hauled off.  Last thing I need is to eat her, then go mad myself, and I've been too close to that edge for years!   :smilewink:

Dead animal removal will be $87.50, but we get that reimbursed through a Soil Conservation program.  When I made the decision to put her down, I thought to myself.........survive a massive saddle pulmonary embolism only to be killed by a stupid cow!  Nope!  

• massey driver, TheFarm2004, GTTinkerer and 5 others have said thanks

#4761 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 06:12 PM

I thought the same thing [put her down] as for the meat I think I'd have been leary of that as well. Sometimes there bad right from the start.At my Uncles place we were sorting calves ,had a bull calf that at 3 mths age pinned my cousin against the fence ,my uncle had him on the truck the next day.No good having any animal around who is going to hurt someone.

#4762 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 07:19 PM

Now chop off the mad cows head and hang it up on the barn and a warning to all the other cows.

• olcowhand said thank you

#4763 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:23 PM

VARY Glad you took that route, if u remember thats how my Grandpa (Dad's Dad) ended up dieing from that vary kinf of situation. Dont want another family members going that way!

You know Craig, I had forgotten that sad fact about your Grandpa Baumgardner.  I can barely remember him as I was pretty young then.  I am happy to avoid the same fate.  

• Craig. said thank you

#4764 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 12:34 AM

That's the BEST thing you could have done Daniel. Drop her before she gets you in corner that you can't get out of. I know it hurts the bottom line loosing 1,500lbs on the hoof, but at least you won't be watching over your shoulder anymore.

• olcowhand, TheFarm2004, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4765 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 09:29 AM

That's the BEST thing you could have done Daniel. Drop her before she gets you in corner that you can't get out of. I know it hurts the bottom line loosing 1,500lbs on the hoof, but at least you won't be watching over your shoulder anymore.

Yes, I am going to rebuild fence today without worrying where that crazy cow is and if she would destroy the fence as quick as I could repair it.  Teresa is happy too, as she had to give up walks on the farm with our outside dog "Baby".  The dog is a car chaser & got hit once, so has to be chained for her own good.  Teresa always walked her every day out in the fields, and both she & Baby thoroughly enjoyed it.  Likely they will take a long walk today!  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4766 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 12:15 PM

Took some steel posts & supplies to the fence line with the 4 wheeler, then decided I had to clear the briar thicket from the fence to get anywhere with this project.  The Cat loader is too large to work it without removing the entire existing fence, so I took the little Massey 1655D to use the small loader to clear things.  About a mile drive to get to the fence, 1/2 mile up the road, and at least a half mile back through the fields.  It did pretty good, so hopefully I can get this fence fixed today & tomorrow.  Then it started snowing.  Interstate 65 at Elizabethtown is a mess with wrecks, but not much snow here yet.

P_20150115_104726.jpg P_20150115_114356.jpg P_20150115_114417.jpg P_20150115_114636.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#4767 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 12:39 PM

Big isn't always better. :smilewink:

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4768 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 12:43 PM

Big isn't always better. :smilewink:

That's why this little Massey with FEL is used so much on our farm.  It will do delicate work, plus you can easily see what you're doing with the small bucket rather than a huge payloader bucket that blocks the view.  The payloader is more of a "crush & destroy" when it comes to these kind of jobs.  

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4769 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 04:29 PM

Face it, Daniel! You just love playing with this tractor! You find ways to crawl on it and 'git-R-dun'!

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#4770 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 06:44 PM

After lunch I had to make a quick trip to town to pay an insurance bill I forgot to make Tuesday while out.  When I got back, I drove in 27 T-posts and man am I tired.  Almost fell asleep in my recliner a few minutes ago.  Likely end up passing out in it after a while.

But my energy level is picking up day by day, and that makes me feel great!  Tomorrow I gotta start tightening existing barb wire, and string up 1, maybe 2 more strands.

• Craig., KennyP and SupplySergeant have said thanks