• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:22 AM

Happy New Year to all the fine folks in Ball Hollow.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4637 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 05:33 PM

The new year has started very well!  After milking, I went to the shop.  I now have everything ready on the Massey 1130 to put the new parts on once they arrive.  I removed the mount plate for the water pump from the engine head.  2 of the studs had very poor threads.  These studs are welded to the plate, so I cut them off, ground them level to the plate, then center punched to get a perfect drill alignment.  Cut off some 5" grade 8 bolts & welded them in.  Plate is back on the head with new gasket I already had.  All old gaskets removed from the park brake surfaces.  Fittings removed from old water pump, all threads cleaned.  While I had the pump plate off, I also chased the threads in the head before reinstalling the plate.  

After that I dehorned 8 calves, gave them their vaccines, and banded 5 little bulls.  Then fed silage, then after that, put a new fender work light on the Massey 1100 so we can see the silage output from the feed wagon when dark.  Just now got in the house.  Tired, but had a great work day.  Pain level was even way down today!  Best day I've had in a long time, maybe the best since before the PE's (lung clots).   :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

Now for a big bowl of northern beans.  Sweet cornbread, with lots of sweet pepper relish & some black pepper!  Mmmmm good!   :thumbs:

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#4638 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 05:49 PM

Dr checkup went well, blood INR levels getting back to right levels. Picked up new rubber lines for the MF1130 fuel tank, and stopped by a guys place & got a phone number to an exclusive Massey salvage yard & new parts dealer in TN. When I got home I called them and they had all the parts for my parking brake! They will ship out Monday. Spring, cam ball, and gasket, all for just $36 plus freight. One place wanted $29 for just the spring....under $13 at this place.
I felt better today, so went back to work. Took a ladder to the calf barn & put new light bulbs in. Had gotten down to 1 working bulb! This used all but one of all the old std 100 watt bulbs I had. :(
Then it was silage feeding time. When I finished with that, I got the parking brake plate mounted snug in my end mill & narrowed down the tower where the park pawl goes into. Only the late style are available, and they require narrowing this spot by about 1/4". Got it done & waiting for parts now.

P_20141231_170615.jpg

Maybe tomorrow can start returning to normal.....as normal as it gets around here anyway! Sure felt good to work some today!

Nice work!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#4639 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Glad the day went well! Beans sound good.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4640 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 08:16 PM

Now I want some beans and corn bread!! Maybe a trip to the store tomorrow to make some beans

#4641 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 08:19 PM

That's what we had for dinner tonight!

#4642 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 08:48 PM

The day sure has me worn out.  Once I ate that bowl of beans, my body went into hibernation.  Have a heifer starting to calve.  Just got back in from checking on her, but no calf yet.  She's still way too feisty to attempt pulling the calf, and just the tip of feet showing & water not broken.  Best to wait a while.  Josh is gonna check on her later.  I might can put in a good day's work, but I'm not fast & agile enough to risk getting in there with an angry soon to be momma.  Barn doesn't have lights over that area either.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4643 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Daniel, I just have to say, every time I catch up on this thread, you seem to be busier and busier getting back into the swing of things.  It is really great to hear you up and around making things happen and being able to do too much work just like all dairymen do.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

• Craig. said thank you

#4644 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 11:27 PM

Sounds like you have a couple very busy days, glad your feeling better. This year is going to be a better year for both of us. Please make sure you don't push too hard and rest when you need to. Do you know the Dia. of the ball you need, I have several different Dia. of hardened steel balls out of bearings up to about 3/4", I always ave them for some unknown reason.

#4645 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 06:36 AM

Mommy heifer is fine,calf dead.
  • Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4646 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 12:11 PM

Sorry to hear that.

• Craig. said thank you

#4647 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 12:46 PM

Water pump arrived for the Massey 1130, so after I got back from town fetching feed & supplies, I went to put it on.  Nothing but issues.  This pump is thicker at the mounting bosses, so the 3 welded in bolts aren't long enough.  Take everything off again!  In process of putting in longer studs.  Hoping to get it finished today.  Everything with this tractor has been issue after issue.

• Craig. said thank you

#4648 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 03:04 PM

Water pump installed on the Massey 1130, & NO leakies!   :dancingbanana:    Not able to run it, but I think all is fine.  Now to get the parts for the park brake & I can get her out of the shop & back to work.  I am kinda sore from working calves yesterday, so opted to work on the tractor instead.  Josh is off tomorrow.  Gotta break the new heifer to the parlor tonight, and I don't relish that!

• Craig. said thank you

#4649 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 03:09 PM

Glad you got that pump back on! Hope the brakes go good. Are you saying your not up to a wrestling match with that heifer?

• Craig. said thank you

#4650 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 03:13 PM

Are you saying your not up to a wrestling match with that heifer?

Oh she'll get milked, no matter what.  That's the problem, as I won't give up till I win.  Might not work to my health's advantage.  The only real problem with breaking most heifers is just getting them into the parlor.  Some walk right in like it's their home.  Others you have to get gates to force them in.  If that is the case tonight, I may have to cry Uncle & try her in the morning.