• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:36 AM

I feel that pain, though not on your scale nor reason. Things just seem to pile on top of each other.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4622 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:38 AM

Very discouraged this morning.  Way behind on working the calves already, then find that the large "soon to breed" heifers had during the night torn down a gate to the smaller heifer field.  Calves everywhere they aren't supposed to be.  Difficult to separate.  I already have about 18 to be dehorned/vaccinated, etc.  The large pens inside the barn need cleaned completely and here I am not able to do anything till Thursday, then I'm limited.  Sawdust supply is dwindling, and hard to get now as the place makes heating pellets this time of year with the dust.  Cow stalls need sawdust, 3 new heifers Josh is breaking to milking, tractors to repair,.....the list is never ending.  I must get some work done, but it's gotten to a point I don't know where to begin.

It sucks being limited to what one can do.   

I wish there was some way I could help Daniel. I'm really not too far from you but the flu has our household ... maybe a little encouragement with humor is all I can do~

Attached Thumbnails

• image010.jpg

• olcowhand, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4623 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thanks guys.  All I need is to be able to work, and at full speed, which isn't in the cards for a while.  Next week I plan to hit the calf barn with all I can.  My problem is I have a ton of smaller calves with no good place to put them while cleaning the large pens.  I'll get it done somehow though...always do.  Much of it is mental, as being limited sure makes one feel like 1/2 a man, which in workability terms, I am.  Much as I love GTT, I wanna be out working this farm right now.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4624 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:56 AM

Yeah, you can only read so many posts! And being unable to work, cannot add new content. The cold has me shut down right now. Spent the last few days building a cabinet above the washer/dryer for storage. You can't even do anything right now.

• Craig. said thank you

#4625 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Never easy to have to step back and take it easy after a procedure or surgery.   Just try and enjoy the down time while you can, before you know it you will be back out there wishing for some down time.

#4626 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:08 AM

Just now got a new water pump ordered for the Massey 1130, but the park brake cam ball is NLA, and I can't locate a used one.  I may have to try making one, but it needs to be hardened, so I may be SOL at fabricating.  I gotta keep shaking the bushes for something to fall out.  Tomorrow I have a Dr appointment, and afterward I'll go to get new rubber hoses for the MF1130 saddle fuel tanks.  I will at least gonna amount to something farm related.

• Craig. said thank you

#4627 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Well, you guys likely figured.....I've been outside doing light work.  Got a temporary gate placed where the heifers tore through.  Then I cleaned up both battery connections on the Massey 362, then fed 3 rolls of hay out.  Got most of the smaller calves gated back to the proper field, now to separate the larger later.  For now they stay where they are.  Shop furnace going, so after lunch I'll straighten the place some.  Gotta measure the rubber hoses I need to replace on the MF1130.  I can pick them up tomorrow.

Felt great doing a little work, but I am being careful what I do.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4628 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 01:17 PM

Don't push yourself too hard. The work isn't worth anything if your not around anymore!! I know how you feel, I have all kinds of work backing up and don't have the get up and go to do it. Please watch how hard you push yourself.
  • olcowhand, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4629 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 01:43 PM

I may have to try making one, but it needs to be hardened, so I may be SOL at fabricating. 

How big is this ball? O1, W1 or A1 are available from McMaster-Carr, and are easy to harden in a home shop. O1 you just heat with a torch, and drop it in some oil. I used to use old motor oil, I think even vegetable oil works. W1 uses water to harden, A1 uses air, it's a little harder to control this time of year.  

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#4630 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 09:39 AM

Heading out to Dr appointment, another appt with pulmonologist Monday, and Tuesday with my surgeon to check my neck.  Sure be glad when all these Dr visits subside.  Nothing is getting done around here.  I am ready to get some things accomplished around here.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#4631 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 05:37 PM

Dr checkup went well, blood INR levels getting back to right levels.  Picked up new rubber lines for the MF1130 fuel tank, and stopped by a guys place & got a phone number to an exclusive Massey salvage yard & new parts dealer in TN.  When I got home I called them and they had all the parts for my parking brake!  They will ship out Monday.  Spring, cam ball, and gasket, all for just $36 plus freight.  One place wanted $29 for just the spring....under $13 at this place.

I felt better today, so went back to work.  Took a ladder to the calf barn & put new light bulbs in.  Had gotten down to 1 working bulb!  This used all but one of all the old std 100 watt bulbs I had.  :(

Then it was silage feeding time.  When I finished with that, I got the parking brake plate mounted snug in my end mill & narrowed down the tower where the park pawl goes into.  Only the late style are available, and they require narrowing this spot by about 1/4".  Got it done & waiting for parts now.

P_20141231_170615.jpg

Maybe tomorrow can start returning to normal.....as normal as it gets around here anyway!  Sure felt good to work some today!  

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#4632 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Glad you found the parts! You and I are alike, I feel worse not doing anything. Just need something to keep busy!

#4633 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 08:58 AM

Got the milking done with no big issues.  The 3 new heifers weren't any real problem either, but 2 of the recently bought cows are B's from you know where.  I can handle them, but Josh wants to just quit milking one them.  If I can milk them, he can too. Notice I didn't say it was fun nor easy milking them though.

Gonna sawdust the stalls after breakfast.  Busy day...at least till I get too tired.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4634 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 09:57 AM

Happy New Year to you folks there, Daniel! We can only hope & pray the year goes well for you!

#4635 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:06 AM

Dan - I kind of  DO NOT miss getting up at 2 am and 4 am to check farrowing hogs . Other things keep me occupied . Focus can be very good .

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks