• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 21, 2014 - 11:57 AM

I finally got out the door & vacuumed the leaves that blew in my little shop last week when I left the overhead door open.  When the wind blows, it creates a vacuum & pulls tons of leaves in there.  I also lit the pilot in the overhead furnace to warm things just a little.  Easier to work when you feel your fingers, which is hard enough when I'm warm with half my fingertips being half numb all the time.

I'm gonna clean this little shop up for doing GT work this winter, as the old farm shop will still be THE farm shop for this winter, and it'll stay full.  When I get back from the in-law's this afternoon, I may do more out there.  I have 4 garden plows to move out, along with LOTS of small stuff that needs rearranging.  This little shop also is very quick to warm with the 60,000btu overhead furnace & the room only being around 400 square feet, and a low 8' ceiling.  With my GT time being limited, it takes a long time to heat the farm shop when it's cold enough to need heat.

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4562 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 04:58 PM

Today was pretty relaxed.  Milked this morning, then shot to C-ville to exchange the flat roofing metal (not crimped).  When I picked up the 20' rolled up piece, I didn't notice it was the wrong red, as the white backside was to the outside.  When I got home, it was lightly raining, and where I needed to put the flat metal was under the dripline, so none of that today.  

Instead I had a nice afternoon of shop time.  My pull type backhoe, "Caddigger 821" had recently started running poor, and then she quit.  It's a 4A032 vintage military 4 cylinder, and the spark had died.  I found a complete ignition system for just $52.50 plus shipping.  Came with everything from the crank rotor to the spark plugs.  I go tit installed today, and this engine runs better than it did when I bought the hoe several years ago.  The kit even came with a new crank pulley, which is larger than the original which will allow easier rope starting, should my starter fail.

DSC00011.JPG DSC00012.JPG DSC00013.JPG DSC00014.JPG

This is a toolbox made to insert into a truck service bed.  Very strong & bearing glide drawers.  A few weeks ago I built an undercarriage with swivel casters to make it mobile.  Has a good top with upturned edges to hold tools & such.

DSC00015.JPG

I so enjoyed some relaxed shop time, and with the rain sticking around, I'll likely get shop time tomorrow as well!  :dancingbanana:  .......But as you can see, tomorrow needs to be "clean the shop day".

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#4563 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Nice to see some progress there!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4564 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 05:07 PM

Nice to see some progress there!

Yeah, but now that I have the hoe ready to go, it's gonna be wet to China.  Gotta get Josh's sewer laterals redone asap.  

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4565 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 05:18 PM

Is that the little engine that the military rated at "6 hp." or something crazy like that?

#4566 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 05:20 PM

Is that the little engine that the military rated at "6 hp." or something crazy like that?

Yes, but they actually put out about 14hp.  Modified versions are used in light aircraft & put out around 40hp!  Parts are extremely reasonable!

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#4567 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 05:42 PM

Neat looking little bugger!

#4568 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Yes, but they actually put out about 14hp. Modified versions are used in light aircraft & put out around 40hp! Parts are extremely reasonable!

I found a bunch of those for sale for 500 a pop. I did a bunch of research and seen they do some crazy stuff with them for air boats and such

#4569 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 10:52 AM

I'm thinking about putting together a pair of discs to make a single gang that will disc out tracks over 48" wide.  May not do it, but thinking about it.

I have a pair of them and am looking for another set to be able to use the extra parts to make a double gang wide enough to cover the tracks on the JD 140H3's 26x12-12 tires with the three point lift to pick it up..

#4570 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 12:11 PM

Been in the shop this morning, but not cleaning....making messes!   :smilewink:   I drained the coolant and pulled the water pump back off the Massey 1130 as I am going to buy a complete new pump.  This one is driving me crazy!

Also the park on this 1130 has been hanging up bad, and the linkage plate that bolts to the side of the trans housing is behind the left saddle fuel tank.  Lots of stuff had to come off in order to remove the tank, but the tank is now off.  Low & behold....what did I find?????   A 15/16" combo wrench was stuck between the linkage arm and the trans housing!  How it ever fell down in there I can't figure out.  BUT I worked the park lever & not sure if the wrench was the culprit.  Likely was, but it's SO much work getting to this point that I don't want to risk putting it together banking on the wrench being the problem.  So I will go ahead & drain the trans oil so I can remove the plate & check the park pawl & engagement ball.  I may not do that till next week.  Josh is off today and I don't want to wear myself out before afternoon chores....already tired.  Tomorrow is Christmas, Friday I have a breathing test, Saturday is my normal day off, and Sunday is required chores only.

As far as not cleaning the shop....lots more fun making a mess! Plus this tractor needs to get back to work asap.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#4571 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 01:34 PM

Might as well check things over while you are in there!

• Craig. said thank you

#4572 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 02:53 PM

I have a generator with that engine and we have never been able to start it. No one around here seems to know much about it.

• Craig. said thank you

#4573 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 03:12 PM

I have a generator with that engine and we have never been able to start it. No one around here seems to know much about it.

A Perkins 354?  That's a good size generator!  :rolling:  :smilewink:   Well, I was talking about the Massey 1130 last ya know!

• Craig. said thank you

#4574 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 03:55 PM

Wrenches, sockets, screw drivers etc left behind and in the wrong place was bringing down A/C all to often so the Navy and Armed forces implemented tool control.  I'd bet that wrench was your culprit.  Once you get in the habit of doing tool control it stays with you.

#4575 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 25, 2014 - 07:10 PM

Today I did absolutely nothing work wise.  Been in fuzzy house shoes the ENTIRE day!  Nuttin but rest!   :thumbs:

• Craig., EricR, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks