• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 03:35 PM

Got the augers supported & ready for use.  I want to build a better more solid support system this summer, but for now it is secure & safe.   I just took the pics from my back door.  It's the augers in the center of the pic.

DSC00008.JPG

Got done with the augers in time to put double bubble insulation & 4 sheets of wall tin on the new shop.   We plan to put more on tomorrow morning. We could have done more today, but it started drizzling, so it was dripping all over our heads finishing the last sheet.

After lunch tomorrow we need to separate some close to calving heifers & put them in with the dry cows so we can keep a closer eye on them.  We have 4 or 5 getting close, and another 4 or so not far behind those.  That will really boost the milk in the tank.  We must get more milk to offset the drop in prices.  If we can just keep our heads above water, it's more than a lot of folks can do in this farm economy.

DSC00007.JPG

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#4517 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 03:45 PM

Glad you got the augers supported for now! Metal looks good on there! Getting more production is about the only way you can come out of it right now. Come on calves!

• olcowhand and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#4518 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 03:47 PM

I gotta say though....climbing ladders & working above my shoulder line is murder these days.  But I'd rather hurt & get something accomplished than hurt & lay around.  The worst part is I can't get nearly as much accomplished in the same time frame as before.

Almost time for silage feeding, then rest time.  

Oh, forgot to mention, the 6 new cows averaged 50lbs in the 24 hours they've been here.  Actually 2 are at 60+lbs. 2 at 50+lbs, and 2 in the high 30's.  The 2 lower cows he said might be bred several months, so I'll have my vet check them soon.  If they're not bred that long & they're milk doesn't come up, he'll swap me to 2 other cows.  I'm VERY happy with those 4, and I do believe at least one of the 2 lower producers will come up on milk.  She's pretty upset with having her home change.

• Bill56, Gtractor, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#4519 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 04:05 PM

I can understand the arms above the shoulders thing. Doesn't take long before I'm done working above my head!

• olcowhand, Bill56 and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#4520 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 05:36 PM

I hate having to work over my head. Kills my shoulders.

• olcowhand and Bill56 have said thanks

#4521 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Thank you for posting the pictures, Daniel. Always good to "see" life on the farm! Looks like you had a pretty good day. Glad the milk production keeps rising for you.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4522 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 08:30 PM

That cattle supplier sounds like a real winner, Daniel. Never heard of anyone offering to swap a low-production animal. Definitely one to hang on to! 

• olcowhand said thank you

#4523 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 08:33 PM

Very happy to hear how the cows are doing and how this guy is treating you. I hope things continue to improve for you on the farm.

• olcowhand said thank you

#4524 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:04 PM

Thank you for posting the pictures, Daniel. Always good to "see" life on the farm! Looks like you had a pretty good day. Glad the milk production keeps rising for you.

Yes, I've been lacking on pics lately, but things haven't been so great, so I don't get as enthusiastic with pics as I should.  I'll try to get more pics.  A story without pics isn't nearly as interesting.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#4525 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:06 PM

That cattle supplier sounds like a real winner, Daniel. Never heard of anyone offering to swap a low-production animal. Definitely one to hang on to! 

Brad is a great guy.  He said he wanted to help me stay in business, and said if he sold me a loser cow, he'd be hurting my chances of survival.  I told him I couldn't express how much I appreciated his warranting his cows, and that I knew there was nobody else that would do this for me.  I never asked for, nor expected any sort of guarantee.  

And I have to say, today has been the best in a while, hands down.   :thumbs:

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#4526 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:45 PM

Yes, I've been lacking on pics lately, but things haven't been so great, so I don't get as enthusiastic with pics as I should.  I'll try to get more pics.  A story without pics isn't nearly as interesting.

As of late things have not been very, well,..enthusiastic, one will loose the desire to show the happenings. I can understand that, allow me to explain.

I am a basic photographer,

My family here in Ma always enjoyed photography as I have and still do, then in early 2000's it started to become less and less until it stopped from years of bad memories and embarrassment. I continue to take photos eventually switching to digital and using the computer, mostly for work, many people on this fourm will never see. Granted I have lost many of the personal hard photos from moving around but many are of my life as I grow, change and move, I never was one to stay in one location for more then a few years.

Very rarely will you ever see a clear photo of me posing much less at all anymore. The last photo of me was a year before I left Ohio for Ma. 10 years ago. Just last month i took and up loaded two new pictures of myself for someone special and shared it here on this fourm of which I will delete soon for protection of my privacy.

I see these types of personal photos into someone's life as something special and it keeps life between people more acceptant, open-minded and enjoyable in more ways then one, I would enjoy a glimpse into your life Daniel as you viewed mines on the Orchard thread.

• olcowhand, Bill56, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#4527 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Got done with the augers in time to put double bubble insulation....

Did that come with cartoons on the packaging too?  :D

• Bill56 and Craig. have said thanks

#4528 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Did that come with cartoons on the packaging too?  :D

Yes, but don't try chewing the stuff.  No flavor & tough as heck to chew!  :rolling:

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#4529 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 12:23 PM

Milked cows, placed a couple rolls of hay out, got up all the bred heifers, then separated the ones getting closer to calving.  Great news "IF" most turn out decent milkers.....13 heifers developing udders that show calving under 60 days.  5 of those are under 30 days, maybe much less.   The bull didn't write down when he bred them.  Need to talk to him about that!  I usually don't vet check the heifers unless there is an obvious problem.  Once they all calve, we should have enough production to get us through the really bad upcoming milk prices.....I hope & pray anyway.

We're milking 45, 10 cows dry, and 13 close heifers.  That totals 68, but we can bank on having a few to cull, so we'll be milking between 55 to 60 well before spring.

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#4530 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 17, 2014 - 03:51 PM

After lunch I put out 2 more rolls of hay, placed 1,200lbs of protein blocks with the Massey 1655D's FEL.  Then pulled one of the large hay tarps off the hay stack & spread it to dry, then later got it folded & rolled up.  Then I hung some double bubble insulation on the east end of the new shop while Josh scraped the manure from the feed lot.  When he finished, we got 6 sheets of tin on that end.  

Tomorrow if nothing goes wrong, we'll finish the east wall main sheets.  The gable will be way later.

Josh finishing the screws.

DSC00009.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks