• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 06:46 PM

I'm happy to not hear of any more poo adventures, Daniel! I think you got several years shares in one batch there!
  • Huskyfan, TenPn, laurarg3 and 1 other said thanks

#32 English OFFLINE  

English

• Member No: 3525
  • 19 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Daniel, my senior year of highschool I hired on with a different farmer as we'd just moved to the area. I spent every night after school from late February until planting started with the flail spreader. I'd get there after work and it would be loaded and ready to go. I'd get 2-3 loads in before it would get dark. On Saturday I'd spread for 8-10 hours. Fun times! You don't know how fun farming is until you are spattered with cow doo, driving down the road with a tractor/spreader wagon, getting honked at and yelled at for going slow, while eating a sandwich with dirty hands! Ahhh those were the days. Now I pasture so I move very little cow doo except to fertilize my garden.

Mike

#33 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 08:35 PM

These tractor pics were in another thread, but I'll re-post them. This is our fleet, minus a pic of our MF Super 90, which I've never taken a pic of yet.

Grandpa's Avery model Minneapolis Moline. All she does is run grain auger, unless I'm using my Massey 1010, as it'll run dryer grain on less fuel. Took this pic just after we restored her. Then Grandpa with it back around 1956.

Fixed Moline.jpg Papaw & Minneapolis.jpg

This is our MF 362 we just bought last year, then fitted with a new Bush Hog loader. Does all round bale work, and likely will do all raking & teddering of hay this year.

DSC00656.JPG

These is our pair of MF 2745's. The one Dad is standing beside is our primary chopping tractor. It's primary because it still has the 3 speed multipower transmission shift, for a total of 24 forward speeds. Great for easy shifting when needed under heavy loads. The other 2745 has had a straight shift kit installed, so no power-shifting this one. Both pull the manure spreader tanks, and either/or do chisel plowing & subsoiling.

DSC00100.jpg DSC00007-1.jpg

This is our MF 1130. I use it for crop spraying, and does general work such as grinding corn, pulling the old open manure spreader when cleaning calf stalls, and other smaller jobs.

DSC00006.jpg

This is our MF 1100. We've had this one since around 78. Usually is hooked to the corn grinder, but does all the corn planting, jobs the MF1130 sometimes does, square bales hay, and when one of our larger tractors is down, we'll pull the 3300 gallon manure tanks with it too.....on flatter ground ONLY though!

1100.jpg

I'll have to get some pics of the old MF175(manure scraper) and Super 90 (odd jobs), MF285 (dedicated to feed mixer wagon) & add to this post soon.

Forgot I had a pic of the 285, just not hooked to the wagon.

DSC00769.JPG
  • powerking56, KennyP, Fabman and 6 others have said thanks

#34 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Today I stacked the 15 giant blocks onto the pit wall that were delivered yesterday, then unloaded the next 15 he brought this morning. I also bedded 90 free stalls with sawdust. I did the morning & evening milkings also. After milking tonight, I did some repairs to my front porch. Replacing all the boards around it's perimeter. Took no pics today....too busy!

#35 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 08:40 PM

That's a nice looking fleet of Massey's you've got together there Dan! How do you keep them so clean?
  • olcowhand said thank you

#36 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 08:47 PM

That's a nice looking fleet of Massey's you've got together there Dan! How do you keep them so clean?

I don't keep them clean. The pics were taken either right after repainting, or the RARE event that we wash them. They are all covered in dirt/grime at the moment.
  • Huskyfan said thank you

#37 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the pics Daniel, yes a fine fleet you have. :thumbs: :thumbs:

edit
typo

Edited by Michiganmobileman, April 07, 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 10:18 PM

They are all covered in dirt/grime at the moment.

You left poo out of the list :D

Thanks for the Tractor Tour Daniel, Right smart looking group.

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 03:30 AM

Nice fleet of tractors and list of their jobs. Takes a few to keep things rolling.

#40 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 04:42 AM

You've got a bunch of nice tractors there Daniel. Thanks for the tour. Looking forward to pics of the other three.

#41 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for Sharing Daniel, I have enjoyed reading this thread learning what it takes to run a farm, as an old city boy I really haven't a clue to what it takes.

#42 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 05:11 PM

Dan,
This is a great thread!! I know dairy farming is a LOT of time and hard work, reading thru this just reminds me again what it takes
to get cold milk to go with chocolate chip cookies and an occasional dish of vanilla ice cream.... :)

#43 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 04:20 PM

Been so busy I've not taken time for pics. We finished the manure hauling yesterday, but not without plugging the pit pump several times. Small pieces of wood from the sawmill in the sawdust. They come from his board trimming building, and I gotta tell him we can't take anything but the dust from the main mill from here on out. Many pieces are still in there on the bottom and will continue to give us fits for a few years now even if we never get any more. My tractor has issues....mine with it's plugging fuel tank outlet, then it blew a power steering line. The other tractor did fine, but had a blowout on the manure spreader tank. Josh had stopped due to his impeller shearing a bolt. He said one of the wagon's tires was popping. I looked it over & it was making strange popping noises, then I looked next to the ground & literally seen the tire ripping & the tube coming out. I took off & hollered "run, she's gonna blow". We got maybe 15' away & like a shotgun she blew. Blew a soccer ball size hole in the ground and man did the dirt fly!
Today I finished dozing old tree laps out of pasture edges, then pulled a calf from a heifer needing calving help. I am tired! I have tons of things I need to do, but I may take the evening off.
  • MH81, HDWildBill and Huskyfan have said thanks

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 05:02 PM

Sounds like time for a break, Daniel. Even without pics, this is a great thread to follow. Though it may be costing you for these things, some of it is downright funny to read. You need a whole truck load of rabbits feet. If it ain't one thing, it's another biting your behind.

#45 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 05:14 PM

I sure wish we had video of the "poo shower" and the tire blowing! I definitely see the humor in it, and that's why I post it. As far as the expense, it's all a part of doing business.
  • Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks