• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Glad to you got the Cat back in the pit where she belongs. Does it feel stronger, or not enough time yet for break in to tell?

Seems stronger, but the real test is when packing silage next year. That's when it's under it's hardest pulls. It does get to full rpm's quicker now, that I can tell for sure.

#422 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Good to hear the Cat is back in action. One less thing on your things to do list. :thumbs:
  • olcowhand said thank you

#423 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Good to hear the Cat is back in action. One less thing on your things to do list. :thumbs:

Yes, is nice to not have the shop floor filled with broken machinery! UPS brought the head gasket kit for the MF285 this evening. Should have it going midweek or so if head is finished in time.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#424 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 03:13 PM

The Massey 285 is running again. All that's left to do is bolt down the hood & dash tin. Dad wanted to leave that for him to do in the morning. Gonna be good to have it back on the silage wagon. The 1100 Massey is so wide it's rear tires just miss the feed splash boards on the feeders.
Next on the list is making a pattern on the inside end wall of the silage wagon. The floor is worn through in several places & now I'm patching over patches. Having a 5/16" thick 4x8' sheet of steel sheared in the center, then 3 bends in each half to match the factory floor of the wagon. A large auger is in the bottom, so it has to be made in two pieces to get under the auger. Once the halves are set in place, I'll weld the center seam together, then the entire perimeter gets a solid weld bead. This is a job that HAS to be done within a day's time in order to feed the cattle. So all has to be fitted ahead of actually doing the job, to be sure all will go smooth as possible. There has to be a square cutout in the one side where the silage feeds out of the wagon, so all the fitting & cutting will be done on one day, then the actual installation on another day. I dread it, but once finished, should last at least 15 years. That'll take me to 69yrs old. Someone else can worry about it then!
  • twostep said thank you

#425 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 05:39 PM

Lol

Sent from my HTC One X

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1351723142185.jpg

#426 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 06:50 AM

I dread it, but once finished, should last at least 15 years. That'll take me to 69yrs old. Someone else can worry about it then!

I don't know about that since your Dad is still hanging in there.

#427 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:40 AM

I don't know about that since your Dad is still hanging in there.

Yes, at 87yrs old, he still does what he wants, and what he doesn't want to do too! He's buttoning the hood down on the MF 285 now. I need to get back out the door & get some things done. New baby calf to move to a calf stall, put new alternator on the Cat loader, and some other small chores.
  • twostep said thank you

#428 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Been hauling manure today. Had to squeeze past boom trucks as they are moving all the electric poles from out in our fields to the right of way next to the road. Lost water for a while, as they nicked the water line.....water company mis-marked the line. Then they had to shut our power down for a while to set the our new transformer pole. When they got to my son's house to set a pole, things got too tight for us to get past to haul manure, so we just shut down for the day, and will easily finish tomorrow. They won't be working the lines tomorrow, so not worth risking knocking the neighbor's mailbox down had we kept hauling poo.

#429 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 03:40 PM

I bet if you had turned the poo flinger on they would have given you room ROLF

Edited by mybigwarwagon, November 08, 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#430 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 03:44 PM

I bet if you had turned the poo flinger on they would have given you room ROLF

There were about a dozen of the line guys, so I'd have gotten drug out of the tractor & beaten senseless.....but might have been worth it! :rolling:
These guys are great to work with & have bent over backwards to get things out of our way the best they could. One pole still into a field about 8', but if they scooted it out closer to the road, then it meant the pole fore & aft of it would have to have a guy wire. We opted for the one obstacle instead of 2. Everything else is out of the way!

#431 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 09:17 PM

For my money, a single pole is much less a problem than an angled guy wire ready to clothesline the unwary.

#432 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 09:48 PM

My next door neighbor just knocked the side glass out of his brand new pickup with a guy wire. HE forgot it was there. The PO of my house planted bushes at the ends of all the guy wires so I always know where they are. Those things are unforgiving.

#433 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 05:31 AM

Glad to hear some of the obstacles are out of the way. That will be a great help. On those hard to see guy wires, try some fluorescent paint. Might make them easier to see.

#434 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 11:41 AM

One other GREAT thing....my son has a very old large Maple tree that has to be trimmed heavily before they string the new wire. The core of the truck is rotten, so they will take the entire tree down for us free of charge. The tree service guys said that size in retail removal would run between $1500 & 2 Grand! We always take our own trees down, but this one being close to his home would have been nerve wracking to bring down ourselves, plus a lot of work.
Hauled poo this morning, and will finish in an hour or so. Then Josh will scrape the lots into the pit to start the cycle again. I have 2 cows with calves to get in this afternoon, then I milk again tonight.

#435 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 01:29 PM

That is good about the tree especially in light of all the recent event's involving tree's. Two new Calve's that is good, it's about time that bull started doing his job! :smilewink: