8699 replies to this topic

#4156 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 08:59 PM

You had a busy day for sure!!! Hope your Dad gets to feeling better soon.

#4157 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 06:56 PM

Could have been a better day, but it is what it is.  Couldn't roof the shop, as by the time herd vet check was over, the wind picked up & no way to handle 22' pieces of roofing, and the double-bubble insulation went flying in the breeze on the 1st attempt.  So I took the loader to Dad's to let the wheat flow straight from the 2 ton truck into the bucket to easily fill the seed drill.  On the way out there with the loader, I found about 10 of our large bred heifers 3/4 mile up the road at the end of our property line, headed to the roadway.  I had left my cell phone at home, so had no choice but to cross the ditch & chase them in the field with a payloader.  I got them headed the right direction between corn fields towards where they evidently tore through the fence.  Took the loader on to Dad's & used his cell to call Josh.  Then the old grain truck battery was low, and jumpers at my house.  Had a chain, so Dad pulled me just 4' and she fired right up.  Got the seeder filled, so had Teresa come get me so I could go help Josh get the heifers secured.  Once they were rounded up, I went back out & drilled in some wheat, then brought the loader back to feed silage.  Had enough trials for my Birthday, so headed out for Chinese food.  Was a great meal, but tired as I was, it took the gloss off it.  Glad to be home!

Tomorrow if it's more than a slight breeze, roofing will be out & I'll get set up for shelling corn instead.  Sometimes I feel like this shop will never get done!

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4158 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 09:24 PM

Happy Birthday, Daniel!!! Wish you'd had an easier day to celebrate.
  • olcowhand and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#4159 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 07:14 AM

Got a text from Josh last night:  "I'll be milking in the morning....gift for your Birthday".   Now that is a gift!!!!!!!!  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

So I slept in and taking my time getting out the door!

• TheFarm2004, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 6 others have said thanks

#4160 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 07:43 AM

Happy belated Daniel! 

• olcowhand said thank you

#4161 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 10:56 AM

Of course a stiff breeze picked up early this morning, so I shifted gears & got the corn auger set up to start shelling corn.  Auger is set up at the middle bin, bin sprayed with malathion.  After lunch we'll see if the old 7700 John Deere combine wants to shell corn.  

• Craig., KennyP, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#4162 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 04:04 PM

Well.......more issues, but relatively minor.  The combine battery was low & barely squeezed my truck in far enough to jump it.  Got her fired, but seen diesel spitting from the injector return line rubber fittings.  If one is bad, they're all bad.  So a trip to John Deere & got a whole set of 6.  Of course everything is in the way of an easy replacement, to where hose clamp pliers won't fit in.  So I have a narrow pair of small channel locks, but was an aggravating time getting all the clamps on.  Finally got that done & went to put the corn head on.  It wouldn't go quite up flush, then I found why.  One bolt had been pulled through the corn head and pulled the metal out, keeping it from a flush fit.  Time to feed silage, so I called it a day.  In the morning I'll take a larger hammer & get the protruding metal beat flat, head installed, everything greased, and add at least a gallon of hydraulic oil to the tank, as it's cavitating.  I'll do that acre or so of corn at Dad', then take the combine to the dairy to fill the fuel tank.  Then if all lights go green, I'll start shelling corn.  BUT...if there isn't a hint of wind in the morning, it'll be roofing time instead.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4163 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 04:31 PM

There's always something that pops up to slow the days progress! It's been very still here in the mornings!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4164 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 05:38 PM

Hoping you have a good day tomorrow, Daniel!
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#4165 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 06:05 PM

Happy belated birthday Dan, you have to love the adventures or you would surely not do it. Sunday I had to help dad put the roof back on his large building.. Soft cover strap broke and it just got worse as the wind beat us up. But we got it . Dads Hurd is down to only 2 hefers right now, easy on the hay and pastures as he couldn't refuse the $$ he got for them. And they gent just drove up and offered big bucks for them. Dad was hesitant at first but soon caved . and his hay sales have also been great as well. So to offset the lull he got us a pair of hogs so I'll have fresh pork in about 5 months. Purebread Yorkshires ( these are the real long ones originally from England).
  • olcowhand, Bill56 and Craig. have said thanks

#4166 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Keith, I do like challenges, as it keeps me on my toes, but sometimes things can be more of a challenge than I'd prefer, but then we don't get to choose all our battles do we!  No matter what one's career is, if we're not filthy rich, we have our battles.  And from what I see, a lot of the filthy rich have their own brand of evils to deal with.  I would however like to give the rich life style a test run!

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#4167 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 08:12 PM

A belated happy birthday Daniel. I,m reading of all your issues down there and wish I could be there to give you a hand. I still see all those calves with their heads out the portholes at attention. And by the way how's my goat friend?

#4168 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 08:34 PM

A belated happy birthday Daniel. I,m reading of all your issues down there and wish I could be there to give you a hand. I still see all those calves with their heads out the portholes at attention. And by the way how's my goat friend?

Half of those port-hole calves are now in large open pens after being weaned from milk.  Both the goats are still a kickin!

• Craig. said thank you

#4169 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 09:06 PM

I would however like to give the rich life style a test run!

You and me both, I wouldn't mind trying out myself !!

• Craig. and UncleWillie have said thanks

#4170 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 06:00 PM

13 hours today & my tail is dragging, mostly due to my neck & shoulder hurting. We may have been able to roof today, but I decided to get some corn shelled.  Put about 1,000 bushels in the bin, then had the feederhouse chain lock up.  Had to pull the corn header off to lower the feederhouse low enough to remove the top cover panels.  Somehow the center chain skipped a link, so put the chain in a sideways bind, causing the slip clutch to stop it.  Got it back in the right sprocket, then seen I had just a slight amount of adjustment left.  I seen the chain was badly worn, so if it does this again, I'll have to put in a whole new chain assembly.

The corn is really putting out for silage corn, maybe 125-150 bu/acre.  Astounding considering the dry weather at times.

The new (used) truck hoist I put under the GMC's grain bed.....astounding success, and SO glad I chose this one.  My first load of corn was a big load....way more than I'd hit the road to market with.  A load like this one with the old hoist would never have lifted, but this hoist started the load up like it wasn't loaded!  I knew the charts I got off the net showed it would lift anything I could put in it, but after years of suffering with the old system, it made me wonder.  It's the bomb!

Long day, but grain in the bion, and everything working & ready for shelling right after morning milking.

• GTTinkerer, KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks