• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 10:31 AM

So you guys think I have ugly knobby knees?  Well, you're right! Nothing done this morning.  Just as we were going to start, my cousin came & we had a good visit.  The roof on the original shed was still wet with dew, so not a good idea to get up there at the time anyway.  We'll start right after lunch.  I'll be sure to get some pics.

• Craig., SupplySergeant and Gabriel have said thanks

#4052 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 05:22 PM

Ended up not a really productive roofing day.  Not feeling so good myself, and the new roof is slick, and we need some rope to tie ourselves to.  Got word a load of sawdust is coming, so I had to get the area ready for the load coming early in the morning.  Just 2 sheets on each side of the roof, so skipped pics till there's more to show.

• Craig., KennyP, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#4053 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Hope you are feeling better tomorrow, Daniel. Good idea to "tie off" on that slippery roof!

I actually was hoping for a picture of your "wobbly, old, knee"... so I could see if it looks as bad as mine!!!! (Just kidding).
  • olcowhand, SupplySergeant and Gabriel have said thanks

#4054 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 01:29 PM

Wow...what a day.  Finished milking & had half my bowl of oatmeal eaten when the load of sawdust arrived.  Got him in fine, unloaded, then I watched that he cleared an electric wire as he left.  I gave him thumbs up that he cleared at the front of his trailer box, but a bracket stuck up a ways back & he wasn't still watching me for the go on wave, so all my waving & shouting didn't hit the target.  I was right under some of the wires as it caught, so I had to get the heck out of Dodge.   It took down my meter pole, snapping it at the ground, then pulling the wires off the side of my house & another set each to 3 farm buildings.  Somehow the wires were still live too!  Immediately called my Electric Coop to kill the power.  I started getting things ready to reset.  Dug a hole for a new 35' pole, and brought a pole to the site.  When they moved all our poles from the fields to the right of way last year, they retired all the old poles, 5 of which were only a year or so old at the time.    I hustled fast as I could, but wasn't making fast progress getting wires reconnected at the buildings, but they got there way before I was done.  I didn't even have my meter assembly off the broken post.  Man, these 2 guys were a blessing!  They jumped right in & finished everything up for us!  Their responsibility was only to my meter that is supposed to be set, mounted, and ready.  They did all of that for me, crimping all connections, where I'd have had to used nut style unions.  I also would have been another 5 hours at least.  It tore out all  I mentioned, and we had power restored in 4 hours!  

Heck, one guy talked to dad quite a while after they finished, and the other guy wanted to see my tractors.  He spied the Allis 620 & 720 when surveying the wire damage & had to take a better look.  He even took pics for his bro-in-law who has a 920 Simplicity.  And even better, he said we will NOT be billed a cent for any of the work they did, not even for any supplies used!  :thumbs:   Again I'll say, what great guys they are!  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

So needless to say, no more shop roof today, so done for this week.  Storms coming in tonight & tomorrow, and I'm taking my day off Saturday! 

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 8 others have said thanks

#4055 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 01:55 PM

Wow that could have been much worse and very expensive. It is awesome that your tractors may have saved you a pile of money.

• olcowhand, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#4056 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 01:56 PM

Mam oh man! Nice! Good to hear u have good people down there.
  • olcowhand and Gabriel have said thanks

#4057 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 02:24 PM

Man did you ever luck out on that disaster!  There still are some decent folks out there.  Good to hear all is restored/

• olcowhand, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#4058 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 03:51 PM

Wow that could have been much worse and very expensive. It is awesome that your tractors may have saved you a pile of money.

Well, most all the guys at our coop are super nice people.  2 higher ranking guys there were in-laws to my daughter and my son.  Both divorced, but Case's other Grandpa & Grandma & us are in very good graces, and my daughter's x-FIL is a great guy, and we're still all friends.  The first guy to get here is good friends with Keith (Case's Gramps) and knew I was Case's other Grandpa.  Kinda like one big family in Nolin RECC.  Didn't hurt he loves GT's too! 

Mam oh man! Nice! Good to hear u have good people down there.

Can't beat em!  They said they didn't wanna hear any complaints about service or high electric bills while they were here.  While they were standing right there, I turned to tell Dad not to say anything bad bout them till they left!  :rolling:

Man did you ever luck out on that disaster!  There still are some decent folks out there.  Good to hear all is restored/

Yes, usually this kind of crap happens on Friday late afternoon!  Or a Holiday, or when it's raining cats & dogs..etc.  Got VERY lucky.  I told the guys I didn't have words enough to express my gratitude, and man how I meant it!

• Craig., KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#4059 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 04:00 PM

Glad that disaster had a happy ending for you!

• olcowhand, Craig. and Gabriel have said thanks

#4060 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 04:25 PM

Just checked on a cow I think calved today.  She & baby calf are fine, so I'll get her in tomorrow.  The bad side is I found a heifer also calved, but on the other side of the fence she plowed through.  I got the calf on the right side, but momma is a nut case & jumped off into a deep ditch.  She got out though, but came back & plowed through the 4 strand barb wire fence again.  I don't think she cut her udder or anything, but she's acting so nutty I'll not bother her more today.  Hopefully the rains break enough to get them in tomorrow.  Josh said this same heifer chased him when he got another cow's calf in a few weeks ago.  She appears to be dangerous, so have to be careful.  If she's too bad, she'll just have to be sold, like it or not.  She has one heck of a nice milky udder on her too.

• Craig., KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#4061 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 05:31 PM

One new calf was outside the fence, close to the road, so got it in.  Nutty heifer's calf.  So I walked #266 and her heifer calf on up to the barn & put in a large stall.  The nutty heifer had went back through the fence again & into the alfalfa field.  So I dropped the hot wire & hoped I could coax her up to the tractor feed alley where I had the upper end gate latched.  Lo & behold she walked right on up there.  Kept her eye on me, but didn't act bad.  Did some gate swinging & put her into the milk cow lot.  SUCCESS!  I figure she'll calm a lot tonight, but I'll know come morning!  Now the possible storms won't affect me much like it may have had I not gotten these in tonight.  Now maybe I can get some farm paperwork caught up while the rain falls.  I am tired, need a shower, but the day has ended well enough for me.  Gonna have baked potato & steak tonight!   :dancingbanana:

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 5 others have said thanks

#4062 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Wow, what a day. It is amazing that nothing shorted out and fried some controllers.

#4063 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 05:57 PM

Glad to hear the fence was fixed in time and nothing was fried or anyone hurt, very nice of them and very understanding to take the added steps to help.

Yum, yum, sounds like a good diner.

#4064 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Yum, yum, sounds like a good diner.

It was, and now I'm having a cherry danish!  Yummm!

• Craig., trowel, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks

#4065 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Save me some leftovers :-)

• olcowhand and Gabriel have said thanks