Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 22 votes

Life On & Off My Farm - Life Changes

• Please log in to reply
8682 replies to this topic

#391 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 10:37 AM

Glad to see things have returned to normal. :smilewink:

#392 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 12:55 PM

Glad to see things have returned to normal. :smilewink:

Yep, normal as it gets, but yesterday was a great day, as I needed to get those heifers to the bull. The fun part of the day was adjusting the small bull's attitude with his nose bling! :rolling:
No farm report today, as it's my day off. Had to do my normal bloodletting sample today for next week's normal Dr checkup.

#393 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'm sure the bull appreciated that! :rocker2: :dancingbanana: :thumbs:

The weather here today is perfect so hopefully your's is as well and you can get some seat time.

#394 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Got just 10 minutes playing with the JD430. Been running errands, and some politicking for my dairy coop directorship in my area.

#395 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 03:33 AM

Hey ol', I have a question for you.

When we were coming home from the road trip, it was after dark, and there was a guy running beans. Now I know that it's not all that unusual to see guys running at night, but it was RAINING. From what I could see he just finishing up that field as it looked like he only had about 2 passes left to finish. Question is, what does that do to the moisture content? Wouldn't that make it high?

Anyway, good to see that you got an 'acceptable' yield, and that it's all finished. Now you can take a deep breath and relax a little.

I know that planting and harvesting time are pretty stressful, as you are under the gun, and that decisions at that time pretty much make or break you.

At least the maintenance, and all during the winter aren't all that time sensitive.

WAY back when you could make a living on 160 acres or so by milking a few Holsteins, and raising some grain, my step-dad always let his herd bull run with the cows. He was only milking 20 head or so. Any way, he had one bull that was a bit on the rambunctious side, and he fixed that by using a chain and a short length of 2x4. He looped the chain around his neck, and attached the 2x4 at the end so that it hung down to just below knee level. Bull would walk, graze, and 'take care of business', but if he wanted to run, the 2x4 would tangle him up, and keep him from running you over.

#396 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 05:32 AM

A little rain on those beans won't hurt anything if put in the bin under air. Surface moisture will dry right off, but if left in the wagon or whatever overnight or a few hours, then the beans would swell right up & be a problem. We haven't raised soybeans in almost 30 years now.

#397 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 03:17 PM

I am flat worn out & more chores to do. Started tearing into the Cat 910 payloader's 3204 engine. Been slowly losing power and time for a rebuild. The rear oil pan bolts are a nightmare to get at, so spent about 3 hours just getting the pan off. Been twisted into positions I'm not meant to be in. My neck is killing me, and likely won't be able to move it tomorrow. Why do they design things to where you can't take them apart! :mad2: I think they sat this engine on a stand, then built the loader around it! Gonna be many days getting this thing rebuilt! We did get one piston out, and the rings gapped at around .030. Thing is, this thing only uses ONE compression ring! Yep, just one compression, then the oil control ring. No wonder it was weak. Replacement sets have 2 compression rings.
Sorry for my venting, but had to spew it out somewhere. Now to feed the cows, climb in the bin to check if corn is dry enough to grind, as my neighbor needs a load of hog feed. Dr appointment tomorrow, bush hog U-joint to pick up, need to call 13 people by tomorrow night campaigning for director of my dairy coop, and 2 sets of Brinly decals to put together for tomorrow's mail. I need something to do!

#398 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 03:55 PM

Watching some of these factory show's that's exactly how they do it, place the engine on a stand and then build the rest of it around the engine. I feel for ya, I know how it feels to get your body in positions it wasn't meant to be in. It always amazes me how much you get done Daniel.

Hope all goes well at the Dr.'s tomorrow.

#399 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Watching some of these factory show's that's exactly how they do it, place the engine on a stand and then build the rest of it around the engine. I feel for ya, I know how it feels to get your body in positions it wasn't meant to be in. It always amazes me how much you get done Daniel.

Hope all goes well at the Dr.'s tomorrow.

Didn't get that much done today Bill. Did get one piston out, so that's good I guess. Doc visit is just to get my prescrips renewed, and let him fuss at me a bit! :D

#400 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Didn't get that much done today Bill. Did get one piston out, so that's good I guess. Doc visit is just to get my prescrips renewed, and let him fuss at me a bit! :D

Yea, I'm waiting on mine to call to tell me to come see him. I'm kind of surprised he has let me go this long.

#401 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 02:32 PM

Got the the new main bearings in today, plus all 4 new pistons/rings on the rods, new rod bearings, and all torqued to spec. We could not go to the 3 ring upgrade piston due to an ever so slight ring groove. I had the parts guy contact the manufacturer to find out how far down from the piston crown to the first ring on the 3 ring piston. My ring groove was .650" from the top, and the 3 ring piston's first ring was at .540, so the top ring on a 3 ring piston would have to pass .110" past the ring groove & would spell problems. So rather than pull the engine completely for boring, we opted to go back to a std 2 ring piston. The new pistons are way snugger in the bore than the old, and the ring groove 1/2 what we did have. I shipped my injectors to Louisville Injection for testing and/or refurb. Head is at local guy's shop getting new guides installed & complete valve job. She should pull much stronger when done.

#402 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 05:49 PM

It should be one of the best tractors you have after all this. How long do you figure before you get the injectors and head back?

#403 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 05:59 PM

It should be one of the best tractors you have after all this. How long do you figure before you get the injectors and head back?

Mid week at least. I hope longer really, as I have so much going on. We have our old loader to fill in while it's down, so no big deal how long it takes.

#404 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Our dedicated silage feed mix wagon tractor, a Massey MF285 is down now. dad said it had a loud knock coming from her & lost a cylinder. Dad started taking her down, but head not off yet. I first suspected a blown head gasket, possible broken piston from Dad's description. Valves all still have proper clearance, so I would think a broken valve could be ruled out. We have the MF1100 on wagon duty now. Did some more bush hogging after morning milking, and will be bedding the stalls with sawdust after lunch.

#405 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Dang it! Guess your getting plenty of mechanical practice!