#3826 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 10:39 AM

Know what ya mean, Daniel! My oldest GT (1959) is three years younger than I am... but I think it's in better shape!!!

Ha...you're 30.....you are young!!!!!!!!!  Do what you're doing another almost 26 years, then talk to me about it!  :rolling:

Age, easy to stand over someone younger then you and laugh when you older, that is until he makes a fool out of you, a good lesson.

I'll rub it in a bit further seeing as my age is a bit of an issue, .....rebound is over, back to work, you guys have fun :thumbs:

#3827 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 10:44 AM

deleted post.

Have a nice day.

???????   Hope I didn't offend in some way.

#3828 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 10:52 AM

I sure miss the "quick rebound" of yesteryears, but it is what it is now.  Just gotta do what needs doing regardless.  When I was in my teens & 20's putting up hay for farmers, me & my buddies would make the work almost fun.  Those were fun days, but those days had their challenges also.  Each stage of life has it's ups & downs, some easier than others.  

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#3829 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 03:57 PM

???????   Hope I didn't offend in some way.

Same here...no insult intended Trowel. Sincerest apologies if I did. My smiley guys don't work, for some reason, so I guess it's hard to tell I was trying to be funny.

#3830 RMCIII OFFLINE  

RMCIII
  • Member No: 61844
  • 37 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 05:24 AM

Some good reading.... You sure can tell the farm raised kids from those who sat around and did nothing.... Between, hogs, cattle, grain, dairy, I did it all growing up... Story after story. Some stuff still cracks me up today. Some stuff, you just know you hand an angle, that day at your side. I think one of the best all time stories still was when I was 8 or 9yrs. old. I did chores on our farm, then headed up to my neighbors place, to help him. He raised hogs.... It was a Saturday morning and it was time to grind up another batch of feed.... So, I jump on the ol' 1070 Agri-King tractor. No cab by the way... Hook up the tractor to the grinder... I always had trouble hooking up the Gehl grinder PTO. For some reason it was always a bugger. Anyway, not real sure if anyone knows just how short a 9yr. old is and how high the seats are on a 1070, even when you move the seat forward all the way...... Well, grinder is hooked up and I put it in Low 2nd to ease the grinder out of the barn.... The driveway had a small slope to it for drainage... I cleared the barn and wanted to make sure we had room to walk around the grinder so I kept moving ahead slightly.... When I thought it was good, I went to depress the clutch and brakes to bring the behemoth to a stop.... STOP, STOP.... No stop, and to make things worse, a neighbor had just came over, with his brand spanking new caddy, and decided to park in in an area that usually does not have cars/trucks parked...... It was right in my front weights line of sights... I was depressing the brakes and clutch for all a 9yr. old could muster.... I stopped the tractor just inches away from it caving in the passenger side door. I had to just turn kill the tractor with the ignition. The owner of the farm came running over to the tractor to see if I was ok... He was laughing a bit, because I had a look of complete terror on my face. What happened was my pant leg got stuck on the cigarette lighter, causing me to not be able to fully depress the clutch, which made the brakes ineffective. After that, no more cigarette lighter on that tractor. Farmer said he would not even of bee made if I had crashed into the car, said he never did like the SOB!

• olcowhand, Bill56, Craig. and 3 others have said thanks

#3831 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Not a good morning.  First, so humid I couldn't wear my glasses, so things not as clear as usual, but ok.  Sweating like crazy.  Then #290 is twitching and kind of bowing down a bit in the rear.  She goes down.  I almost had to go get a tractor to drag her out the door, but she finally got up after a while.  She goes out, then goes down in the lot before I can separate her into a dry area.  Might lose her, but will call the vet to look at her.  She's an older cow, so it might just be her time.  Hoping to chop silage later, &  I sure hope on top of hope that the chopper works for us all day long......all week for that matter.    

• Bill56, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#3832 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 08:11 AM

Sorry to hear about the cow, Daniel. Hope she gets better and hope your day goes well with the chopping.

#3833 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 10:31 AM

Chopped 3 loads, and blade appears still tight.  Had a roof lift cable on the wagon come loose.  Got that back together & taking early lunch.  So far pretty decent chopping.  I'm in the heaviest field as far as grasses, and only had a little issue with it clogging the head, but while it'll chop it, I'm going ahead with it.

• Craig., KennyP and EricR have said thanks

#3834 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 11:01 AM

Well I'll be a son of a......

as I said, the chopper is finally doing pretty good, and when I came home for lunch I had no idea a storm was heading this way.  I turned on the TV while eating  quick bite, and there it was, a big red storm on radar, knocking on my door.  Then it hit, wind & HEAVY rain.  I left the tractor cab door open, so threw a coat over my head & shot out there in my truck to shut the door.  NO chopping anymore today. One slick muddy mess.  Only lasted a bit over 5 minutes, but shut us down completely.   :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

And a good chance of up to another 1/2" of rain tomorrow, so was hoping so bad to have a good day of chopping today.  The cards are all stacked against us this year it seems.  :(   It is so depressing.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#3835 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 11:55 AM

When I came back up the drive from packing the 3 loads I chopped this morning, the wet north side of my house really made the dang green algae show up bright green.  So I got my long extension pole & brush & scrubbed it off.  At least I accomplished something today.  Now my left shoulder is killing me, but it will subside in a few.  Glad to have the house cleaner.  The 2nd story section has to be done off a ladder, but I may see my neighbor about him pressure cleaning it.  He has a man lift & does this for side money to supplement his retirement.  This upper part has no algae, just a bit grimy.  

Oh, and we got a bit over 1/2" in that 5 minutes today as I had guessed.

Edited by olcowhand, September 01, 2014 - 11:57 AM.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3836 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 12:40 PM

I will loan you my tiny Craftsman Pressure washer. It produces slightly more pressure then my bladder does. Shouldn't take you but about a week to get the side of the house done.

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#3837 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 01:32 PM

1/2"? Get back out there! Should be good to go by 4 at least! We have gotten this weekend:

2" on Friday
2.2" on Saturday night
2.1" from Sunday evening through this morning

My yard is loving it, the dormant bluegrass and fescue has come back to life and are choking out the weeds. What kinda dirt are you using down there that you can't get back at it?

Don't swear at the NH too much, my friend had all sorts of issues last year with his 4 year old JD 3975.

#3838 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 02:06 PM

1/2"? Get back out there! Should be good to go by 4 at least! We have gotten this weekend:

2" on Friday
2.2" on Saturday night
2.1" from Sunday evening through this morning

My yard is loving it, the dormant bluegrass and fescue has come back to life and are choking out the weeds. What kinda dirt are you using down there that you can't get back at it?

Don't swear at the NH too much, my friend had all sorts of issues last year with his 4 year old JD 3975.

Just finished getting 1.2" yesterday, and was "just" solid enough for the truck this morning.  Tractor had no issues at all, but the single axle truck can't deal with mud hardly at all.  The dirt is hard enough, but the top is like an ice rink right now.  We "might"be able to chop tomorrow if that rain doesn't show like they think it will, but we'll just have to wait & see.  Spending the day pushing & pulling a stuck truck from the field doesn't accomplish anything either, and can cause something to get broken as well.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3839 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 02:32 PM

Sometimes it's just better to wait til things improve in the field. Knowing how your ground is all rolling around your farm, I would wait till you don't have to worry about getting stuck or sliding sideways down one of those hills. Tomorrow will be a better day.

#3840 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 04:11 PM

I had to use bleach and dish soap and scrub the one side of my house that gets hardly any sun. It was a mess. It was crazy how much crap was on it.

Pressure washer and a long pole.
  • Craig. said thank you