• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 06:19 PM

This device is the most awesome time saver for sweet corn!  I have mine rigged in a bucket, so it's FAST.  Some use a cordless drill, but I prefer by hand.  I think it's faster this way.  I can take it off the cob faster than Teresa can blanch & cool it.

corn.JPG

Here it is in my bucket.  I cut notches for it to fit into, and on the far side, an elongated hole so I can squeeze the tool for smaller ears.  It's the cat's meow!

DSC00015.JPG

Gotta get back....heard the timer go off, so more corn cooling!

• Alc, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3752 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 06:38 PM

I wish I could eat that off the cob!

• Craig. said thank you

#3753 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 07:30 PM

I wish I could eat that off the cob!

Ooooh....let me tell ya.........  it's gooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!   Just finished working up the corn.  I broke the corn thingy.  One blade pulled the rivets through.  Guess I was putting it to it!  Oh well, just $5 and worth every penny.  I'm gonna have 2 on hand next year.

• Craig. said thank you

#3754 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 09:15 PM

That corn bucket is a great idea, Daniel! Do you blanch corn before or after you take it off the cob? I've done it both ways. Cutting it cold was faster... didn't have to wait for the cooling and it seemed to be a lot less messy of a job.
Take care in the hot days ahead. Going to be plenty warm here, so I know it will be worse your direction. Hopefully there will be a breeze!
  • Craig. said thank you

#3755 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 21, 2014 - 06:48 AM

Daniel, we are still a little ole fashioned up here. My wife uses a pearing knife to cut the corn, so does my mom in law. Where do you get the cutter contraption. that looks like the correct tool to use.
  • Craig. said thank you

#3756 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Daniel, we are still a little ole fashioned up here. My wife uses a pearing knife to cut the corn, so does my mom in law. Where do you get the cutter contraption. that looks like the correct tool to use.

Got mine on ebay right HERE  Just $5.75 to your door.  Some jerk seller has them listed for $25 each! 

We always used a pearing knife as well, but I'll NEVER go back to that.  This is at least 5 times faster, and I've never gotten into a cob like a knife does sometimes.

• Craig. said thank you

#3757 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 21, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Got mine on ebay right HERE  Just $5.75 to your door.  Some jerk seller has them listed for $25 each! 
  We always used a pearing knife as well, but I'll NEVER go back to that.  This is at least 5 times faster, and I've never gotten into a cob like a knife does sometimes.

that device sure looks to be soooooo much faster.

• olcowhand said thank you

#3758 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Had one of those units for decades! at least 3 ! What Dan has rigged up is the cats meow! We did it a bit different than that, but it worked awesome! A Brerner Slicer also worked incredibly fast and efficient BUT was dangerous if you didn't tape up part of the blade with duct tape.

• olcowhand said thank you

#3759 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 07:40 PM

My JD F935 blew out a sidewall.  Put what I thought was a decent spare on, but it mowed just 20 minutes & it went flat.  The other tire on the 935 is mighty dry cracked as well, so I ordered a pair of Titan Tru-Power II's for it.  They are 8 ply rated, so can take what I dish out to this mower on the steep embankments & such.  To my door, $202 & change.

I got one of the Titan Tru-Powers on the rim this afternoon, and MAN were they a job to get on.  These things weigh 40lb each, and the sidewalls are a good 1/2" thick.  I can lay the tire on it's side, off the rim, and stand at the bead's edge, and my 205lbs doesn't budge the sidewall!  I'm not going to add ballast fluid, as I don't wanna mess with this tire any more than I have to.  I think I could actually run them without air!  Not sure when I'll brave mounting the other one, but that tire is still holding air anyway.

• Bill56, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3760 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 10:41 AM

MC Dunlaps are like that.  Side wall is very sturdy and even with a flat you can ride it.

#3761 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 01:11 PM

Internet has been out since Saturday night, so been getting GTT withdrawal shakes!  They finally found the problem back in some sub-station, and all is hunky dory now.  

Sunday between milkings, I worked on the chopper all day repairing a bad U-joint and went over the rest of it, plus sharpened the blades.  Dad hooked the tractor to the tractor, but I didn't double check the pto shaft.  Yesterday we went to chop silage from the plow fields.  6' into the field, the PTO shaft came off the tractor & it beat the quick attach lock system off the end of the shaft.  I got it rigged to positively stay on.  Then on the 3rd load, the hydraulic cylinder on the truck hoist busted the retainer on the shaft end.  This type cylinder is well known for doing this.  This being the 3rd time, I'm done with it.  No cap to be found, so I located a new hoist system, well a used outfit, so today we're in the process of installing. Just got the old hoist out of the truck & getting ready to set the other in.  Hopefully we can chop either tomorrow afternoon or Thursday.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#3762 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 01:14 PM

Man, just one thing after another!

#3763 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 01:18 PM

Internet has been out since Saturday night, so been getting GTT withdrawal shakes!  They finally found the problem back in some sub-station, and all is hunky dory now.  

I was wondering why you were so quiet, glad it wasn't anything worse!

#3764 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 02:40 PM

Man, just one thing after another!

That's not all....my cell phone won't work anywhere near home since the storm.  Lightning must have messed up the cell tower just down the road a couple miles or 3.  I can drive less than halfway to town, then my cell works fine.  I can get texts at home still, but calls will not go through.

Got the new hoist sitting in the frame rails, but going over things, I see I'll have some more cutting of old brackets to do.  Gonna do some cutting, then feed cows & call it a day.  I was up half the night engineering this repair in my head.  3 small hoses need replaced, so I'll go have them made after lunch tomorrow.  I want to get all work I can done in the morning before it gets so darned hot out.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3765 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 03:58 PM

Here's the antique scissor lift we took out.  As you can see, the cap was popped like a nut!

DSC00117.JPG DSC00121.JPG

The new system has less square inches of piston area, BUT it starts with more angle at the cylinder.  The old system, when lifting a full load of corn sometimes would barely start lifting due to the almost zero angle of the cylinder in the lowered position.  Once you got it started lifting, it lifted quite easily.  With the steeper start angle of these newer cylinders, I'm hoping it will do just fine.  It came off a 20' foot dump bed, so it should do great on our 16'.

DSC00118.JPG DSC00119.JPG

I was going to cut these old brackets off tonight, but my tail is dragging too much.  Hoping to get a full night's sleep tonight, then hit it first thing in the morning.  

DSC00120.JPG

I had intended to buy a twin telescopic boom set just like under our old 78 C65, as they are strong as heck.  But I would have had to fab a receiver into the bottom of our bed that would have taken at least a day or more, as I'd had to gone a 100 mile round trip for more steel.  The seller ensured me this scissor would lift anything I wanted to, and he's been in the large truck repair/fab business 35 years stretching frames, installing hoists/beds.......you name it...he does it.  If I had the money ($6500), I'd buy a Ford 8000 from him with Henderson suspension.  230hp Cat diesel, live tandem and 18' steel dump flatbed with stake holes for grain sides.   Only 114,000 miles on her.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks