#3676 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,494 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:57 AM

Glad to hear the cow is milking and doing alright. My luck she would've broken the leg and got put in the freezer.

If ya have any extra rain, send it up my way. T-storm rolled through last night, but not a drop out of it. Rain to north and south, but none our way. 

Looks dark out there now, maybe we will get some today. 

• Craig. said thank you

#3677 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 09:22 AM

We just got a fast 7/10" of rain!  Was POURING down!  Light to moderate rain for maybe another hour.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3678 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:07 PM

Lightning blew my bro-in-law's electric transformer, cracked on the shop while I was putting away tools, and burned out the capacitor to our well pump that supplies parlor water.  We do have connection to city water, so threw on city water for now.  Always something unexpected.  Need to repair some free stalls today, and need to tend to the well soon.  Went ahead & ordered a new well pump control box, as nobody stocks them around here anymore.  Hoping I have a capacitor to get this one going.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3679 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:08 PM

Oh, and the rain came down so hard & fast that I don't think the rain gauge worked right.  The fish pond had a good 2" more water in it, so we may have gotten way more than 7/10".

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#3680 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 01:13 PM

Looks like you got some good news and some bad news.  The good news is you got quite a bit of rain the bad news is you now have a few things to fix.  Never ending isn't it? :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:

• olcowhand and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#3681 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Glad you got some moisture! Hope there is no other lightning damage.

#3682 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:31 PM

Problems NEVER let up.  I found out a little while ago that today's semi-load of milk was rejected, and they said it was due to high bacteria count from ours and another farm.  This would be from a cooling issue, which our cooler has been working fine, as we check it before we start milking, as we milk, when we finish, and times between milkings.  I have no way to disprove what they say.  The load can still be made into powdered milk, but we will have to pay the difference in worth, split between us & the other farm.  The battle keeping this farm going is getting to be ridiculous.  Hoping for a change.

• Craig., HDWildBill and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#3683 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:39 PM

We'll pray for better days, Daniel.

• olcowhand said thank you

#3684 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Finally some good news on the SCC count on my milk.  Thursday's sample was a health department test, and not only did I pass with flying colors (360,000 count with limit of 750,000), but that also exceeds Euro standards, which is 400,000.   :dancingbanana:

Now if we can just find why my standard plate bacteria count has soared.  Don't know yet if tomorrow's tank of milk can be shipped.  Awaiting bacteria count taken today.

I took 2 cull cows off this morning, then picked up some PVC fittings so I can put a clean-out port on my pulsation line.  But when I cut the line to add to it, it wasn't bad at all in there.  I went ahead & cleaned every individual pulsator, cleaned the pulsation line to like new, added the ports, then ran the milk line through a super heavy wash just to be sure.

I know I'm taking work harder being I'm in my mid 50's, but I am telling ya, this last year I've worked harder than 2 years combined from the past.  It's taking a mental & physical toll, but I think I'm stubborn enough to push on through it. 

• Texas Deere and Horse, Sparky, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#3685 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:08 PM

Good deal there Daniel, just keep on keeping on Sir.

• olcowhand said thank you

#3686 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:20 PM

You know as we get older, we should be working smarter. I am working smarter then when I was young, but it seems I'm still working harder to keep up. That is not the way it's supposed to be I don't think.

All we can do is keep getting after it everyday even though some days we feel like me throwing in the towel. Hang in there Daniel.
  • olcowhand and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#3687 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:26 PM

You know as we get older, we should be working smarter. I am working smarter then when I was young, but it seems I'm still working harder to keep up. That is not the way it's supposed to be I don't think.

All we can do is keep getting after it everyday even though some days we feel like me throwing in the towel. Hang in there Daniel.

Yesterday I felt exactly like hanging it up with dairy.  Total frustration, total anxiety, and a total feeling of futility.  This afternoon I could barely put one foot in front of another to walk, but I made my goal for the day.  That, coupled with my good SCC score has put a little wind back in my sails, and I'm gonna need it, as the battle never ends.  Most every career has a battlefield, so I may as well fight the war I'm used to, and know somewhat how to fight.

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3688 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 06:03 PM

Best wishes for figuring it out, Daniel! George got the site back up! Are you sure you are the cause of the bacteria? You said the tank was yours and another dairy's. Maybe they have the issue there!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#3689 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 06:09 PM

If it was easy we would all have a Dairy farm. 

Keep your head up, put one foot in front of the other and do what needs to be done.  You've done it for how many years now?

Even if you work for someone else any career path we choose if we truly care about what we are doing and treat the business as if it were our own.  I treat my job and conduct myself as if I personally owned the company I work for.  Some days, you just don't want to get out of bed.

• GTTinkerer and KennyP have said thanks

#3690 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 01:56 PM

The milk tank sample came back fine.  I'd bet if I could find out, the "other" culprit dairy farm was picked up after my tank that day.  I've heard many milk truck drivers talk about forgetting to take a sample, so they just pull one from the next farm & put the other farm's name on it, or do it when a sample pops open in the ice bath & is empty.  My fieldman says a sample with results as high as these 2 were is almost always due to a broken cooler, which mine is working PERFECT, and the "other" farmer's tank cooler went out on him.  There is no way I can prove this "switch", but I KNOW this is the case.  Just ticks me off that I'll have to turn this into my insurance when I know I'm not responsible.  Heck, I heard one driver say he just took ALL his samples for the entire day's pickup from his last stop.  I told my fieldman about that years ago, as that's a big no-no!  They can't do that today though, as each farm has special ID stickers at each farm for their samples.  Of course a driver could collect stickers as they go, then do all at the last stop, but our current driver wouldn't do that.  He's a good guy, but if our sample popped open & spilled, he would likely fill at another stop, not thinking harm would come.

Anyways, today has been a good one. Made out a list of metal needs for the new shop, then been mowing since.  Got all mowing done except my yard around my home, which I'll do tonight.  Dad cut the hay fields, which will be a light cutting, but will make time for one more cutting if rains come regular enough.   Josh did spraying around buildings/pits/etc, cleaned the parlor, and placed molasses tubs.  I'm going to stack some lumber out of the way, then feeding time.  Much accomplished today, and that makes for good therapy!   :D

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks