• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 07:57 PM

Thank goodness you have a few JD's around, at least they're reliable and always ready to help out. Even if just for a quick jump start to a lesser machine.

I took the better battery out of the Massey a while back to go into the 430.  Batteries don't make the machine, but sure do make them start better....or worse.  :smilewink:   Gotta admit though, the 430 is a better mowing machine.

• Craig. said thank you

#3467 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 09:35 AM

I milked this morning, then headed to my cousin's to look at some 18.4x34 tires he wants to sell.  One looks 90% tread, other 30% tops, but both look to have good live rubber with no dry cracking at all.  He's away right now, so might be a few days before I can get them.  In the meantime, I came back home & got the rear blown tire off the rim, and the rim washed of the calcium solution.  NO MORE calcium in any tires of mine.  Picking up alcohol to blend with water.  After lunch I head to Columbia, Ky to look at prospective replacement heifers for my herd.  Before lunch I need to place several new molasses lick tubs.  BUSY day!  Josh wants off the next 2 days while his wife Teri is on vacation.  Gonna make it stupid busy for me with possibly dealing new cattle one or both days, plus all the chores.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3468 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 11:56 AM

Heading out in a few to possibly buy some replacement cattle for our dairy herd.  Wish me luck.....I need it!

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#3469 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 11:58 AM

I hope they are good looking cows, high production!! Good Luck !!

• olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#3470 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 12:02 PM

Good luck uncle
  • olcowhand said thank you

#3471 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,066 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 12:14 PM

Good luck. Bring home some cows

#3472 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 04:08 PM

The seller will be delivering 12 milking fresh heifers, and 2 close to calving dry cows.  I have 13 of my cows separated & already milked, and he's gonna make offers on those.  He's in kind of a partnership with an auction barn, so he'll get more than I could.  If his offer is good enough, then he loads mine up & takes them with him.  Saves me 3 trips tomorrow with my smaller trailer.  I sure hope his offer is good.  Either way, I'm buying the 14 of his.  He even gives warranty.  If any test high for SCC or in my opinion doesn't milk worth a darn, he'll come get them on his dime, and refund 100%, or bring me replacements.  He's loading now & should be here in about an hour.

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 6 others have said thanks

#3473 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 05:36 PM

That is very good news, maybe you can get your numbers back up where they belong. Waiting to hear how you make out on your cattle.
  • olcowhand, GTTinkerer and Craig. have said thanks

#3474 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 05:42 PM

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.  I hope it all works out in your favor!

#3475 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Good luck with the newbies!

#3476 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Just been in about 45 minutes.  Been a long, LONG day.  Josh milked the new ones, and surprise....they didn't give very much, but they will calm overnight & begin to get used to their new home.  Morning should bring calmer, more milk giving heifers.  I am worn flat out, as even while waiting for him to arrive, I worked on the new shop, pulling metal off the gable end of the original shed.

I think he'll stand behind his word on his warranty, and of course I told him about plow day, and he couldn't believe it, never having heard of one, so he and a couple of his hands will be coming!  He said he has no GT, so he'd just be watching, but I gave him fair warning......he'd be buying a GT shortly after watching us have all that fun!  

I hope & pray we can get this somatic cell count under control & survive.  If not, we'll make a living one way or another.

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 4 others have said thanks

#3477 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:31 PM

We'll all 3 of them plowing on something before it's over and they'll be hooked !!

#3478 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Lots longer milking this morning, being sure to be extra easy with the new heifers.  Milk production from the new heifers was low except for about 5 of them, which is to be expected, 1: mostly very fresh heifers(2 calves just yesterday) 2: they've been under a LOT of stress.

As one would expect, the worst part is that the very best looking one of the bunch has terrible mastitis in one quarter.  I'm gonna let the seller know, and ask if I can try treating, or if he wants to swap it out.  I lean to swapping it out, even though she looks so nice.  Looks don't pay the bills. LOL

Just before dark last night, I walked down by the feeders just watching the new ones.  #3752 came walking down the feeders, keeping up with me.  I stopped & stuck my hand through the headlocks, and she started licking my hand & arm.  She's a darling little cow!  She'll let me rub all over her.  Even better, she's a good milking one!  These heifers have no chance making up the production of the ones I had to sell, but I knew that going in.  Heifers never milk that great their first lactation, but next year they should come in much stronger on milk.  I figure I'll have to swap in 2 or 3 for warranty replacements, but at least I have a warranty!

All these new ones were individually filtered at the weigh jars, so the main line filter will tell the tale on the rest of my original herd.  Well, this morning that filter was almost immaculately clean, save for a couple specks of mastitis, and the filter had not a bit of "slick feel" to it.  In a few days I'll be getting back SCC scores to see how much it has dropped.  I think it will be worlds lower.

Josh is off today & tomorrow, so I'm laying low between chore times & resting.  Heat index is heading to 100+ today anyway.  Sprinklers already on for the cows.

• OldBuzzard, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 5 others have said thanks

#3479 Craig. ONLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 08:01 AM

Good to hear it. I hope it continues to get better.

#3480 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted July 22, 2014 - 09:37 AM

Yep, it doesn't take much for a Holstein to 'hold up' on their milk.

The move didn't help things, and I'm guessing there is a lot of shoving and head butting going on until every one figures out 'their place' in the herd. 

Sounds like the 'pet' might have been a 4H project for some kid.  Sure helps make up for that crazy one you had.

When my Step-dad quit milking Holsteins and stated raising Shorthorns, he bought a bull that was some kid's 4H project.  He was like a puppy dog.  He would come up to you a give you a little nudge to get attention. He absolutely loved having his neck scratched.

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 22, 2014 - 09:41 AM.

• GTTinkerer, Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks