• Please log in to reply
8699 replies to this topic

#3391 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Ours is a drilled well, 165', and the water comes to within 3' of the surface in the casing. It's classed as artesian, typed to coming from the second last ice age, and caries no radiation. Apparently they can use radiation results from all known bombs and test explosions, and determine the source of well water that way--- each explosion, Bikini Island testing, Chernoble, W.W.11, etc. all have a "foot print" that is used to determine this. Or so said the Government guy who tested our water. It seems that when the well was drilled the test on it was "interesting" and he came around to verify results for "future consideration in emergency". Don't know if I like the sound of that
  • Craig. and trowel have said thanks

#3392 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 03:30 PM

My day off today, and heat index is over 110F.  You'd think I'd be smart enough to stay inside, but no, I'm not that smart!   I've been working on the Massey 175 my cousin brought to me.  Got the hydraulics figured out, and pressure to all ports.  Problem now is I blown another old hose, so the other 3 old ones need replaced, and I need to check my pressure relief setting.  Took the home built ROPS off so I could park it in the old freestall area (low truss).  I left the fenders off also, as when I get time, I'll be swapping the entire rear housing & rear end assembly from the one that burned.  Got her parked inside now, but need to block under the right rear axle, as that tire goes down.  May go out some more in a bit, but gotta have cool-down time.

I gave in & have the sprinkler on the garden.  Might be too late for my 1st planting of sweet corn, but I hope not.

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 1 other said thanks

#3393 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 05:31 PM

Ours is a drilled well, 165', and the water comes to within 3' of the surface in the casing. It's classed as artesian, typed to coming from the second last ice age, and caries no radiation. Apparently they can use radiation results from all known bombs and test explosions, and determine the source of well water that way--- each explosion, Bikini Island testing, Chernoble, W.W.11, etc. all have a "foot print" that is used to determine this. Or so said the Government guy who tested our water. It seems that when the well was drilled the test on it was "interesting" and he came around to verify results for "future consideration in emergency". Don't know if I like the sound of that

That is neat but at the same time i would be worried also.

Watched Discovery Channel regarding drilling for snow cores in Antarctica and was able to date when all those things happened.

In the basement of this house use to have a lined water cistern, water from the springs in the field was channeled into the cistern then hand pumped to the kitchen. This place was very carefully laid out, lots of common sense then.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#3394 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:34 PM

Pic is not good, but there's the MF175 tucked away for now.  The fenders & bucket of bolts all with it.

DSC00218.JPG

I also got one of the widened rims mounted with tire. No leaks in welds or beads, so she's full of ballast and on Hogzilla.  The inside edge of this right rear now aligns perfectly with the front.  Last year I had to try to run the front partly on the last flip of dirt.  When it rode against the furrow's edge, it had my plow cocked at an angle & plowed bad.  May get the other tire mounted tomorrow, but have to see how hot it gets.  I got awfully hot today and hate to spend the weekend wearing myself down when a full work-week always awaits me.  I also milk tomorrow.

I'm liking the wider footprint. It'll look much better once I get the left side finished.

DSC00219.JPG

Here's the same tire mounted on an 8 1/2" wide rim on the right.  The wide rim sits the tread down better.

DSC00220.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and trowel have said thanks

#3395 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:42 PM

It does, don't it! Vary nice. Bringing the twins down this coming weekend finally. I'll be bringing the locks with me, need anything else? Let me know.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#3396 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Tire looks good on the hoggy

• olcowhand said thank you

#3397 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Daniel ,the wheel and tire really looks good with the offset and should plow better now. The heat has just about done me in also, I was on a break down today and will be again tomorrow, heat index is 107 today and hotter tomorrow.

Glad to see you getting time for the 175 also.

• olcowhand and trowel have said thanks

#3398 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Got the milking done 1/2 hour earlier to help cows eat before it gets terribly hot.  Gonna try to get the other Hogzilla tire/wheel mounted today.  Praying the rain comes in tonight.   Gonna be much cooler most of this coming week after the front rolls through.  Good time to get some work done on the new shop.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and trowel have said thanks

#3399 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 08:32 AM

I found the older I get the more I hate the heat. I put every thing I own on the market about 2010 so I could move way north. Like to the Hudson Bay region of Canada.

Girls at donut shop I go to think it is funny My saying it is to hot to any thing except lay around in my thong.

thought I was going to get murdered at a Funeral Thursday when a cousin says to me I see you made it thru the winter and I replied  I sure did and had a great time. I am ready for it so wish it would start tonight.

At negative 30 one of last winters day. The little MTD 4.5/21 ditch find worked like a dream and I was soaking wet from sweat when I finished.

010714_1308_zps42f6275d.jpg

:D   Al

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3400 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Yes, I handle the cold better myself, but still have more fun during the warmer months.  That said, I get more shop time in the cold months.

• Craig. said thank you

#3401 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Yes, I handle the cold better myself, but still have more fun during the warmer months.  That said, I get more shop time in the cold months.

I also handle the cold better.  Like my Dad used to say "I can put on more clothes than I can take off.".  But I still prefer the heat simply because you don't have to shovel it or wade through it or get stuck in it and so on..

• Craig. said thank you

#3402 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 10:32 AM

I don't mind cooler weather. I won't say cold since some members here deal with negative 30. No colder than 20 for me please.

I hate winter only because of snow and freezing rain. Other than that it's fine.

But that said spring summer and fall are for me. 100 degrees or not I'll be outside. A fan setup in the garage and I am good to go.
  • olcowhand and Craig. have said thanks

#3403 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:52 AM

Yep, been down in the shop today....right in front of the fan most of the time.

• Craig. and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3404 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:03 PM

It's surprising how much difference a good shop fan makes.

Only thing I hate is when I'm welding the fan has to he turned off to keep your gas from blowing away.

I'm stuck baby clothes shopping today. I'd like to be out in the garage.

Edited by toomanytoys84, July 13, 2014 - 12:04 PM.

• Craig. said thank you

#3405 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 12:18 PM

I use mostly stick, so fans can keep right on going most of the time.

• Craig. said thank you