TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Holy Cow! Be careful!

Quite the contrary....she's a DEVIL COW!  And she's not gonna be alive much longer.

The "unholy Cow"   :rolling:

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3362 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 05:21 PM

We had a neighbor in TN that had a bull that caused no end of problems. He would tear down fences, totaled his truck. and finally chased him across the field. He barely managed to dive over the barbed wire fence in time to keep from getting gored.

He had a freezer full of meat a day later.

• olcowhand, KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#3363 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 12:42 AM

Before you butcher her find out if the drug has a withdrawal time before she's  safe for human consumption. Some are O.K., others, not so much, and that's too much meat to waste.

• olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#3364 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 07:01 AM

let the drugs get out of her system and turn her into HAMBURGERS!

• olcowhand said thank you

#3365 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 11:22 AM

Ran to Don's Lumber in Elizabethtown after morning milking.  Lowes doesn't have 18' lumber, but Don's does.  Got lumber for setting the trusses onto, plus 24 2x10's to rebuild the holding pen that the crazy heifer tore through yesterday. The old pressure treated lumber is old & weak, so replacing the bottom 2 runs.  Was 2x8, but I'm going 2x10 for more strength & allowing me to take it a little lower, as they try going under when doing herd work.

I'll be going back to Don's Lumber as they are much more pleasant, and I didn't lay a hand on anything.  3 guys came out to load my trailer.  Service is the key!

• GTTinkerer, Craig., KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#3366 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 12:42 PM

I'll be going back to Don's Lumber as they are much more pleasant, and I didn't lay a hand on anything.  3 guys came out to load my trailer.  Service is the key!

We used to have a lumberyard like that in Harrodsburg, but they couldn't compete with Lowes. I almost cried the day they closed! Good to know they haven't all been run out of business.

• sacsr said thank you

#3367 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 02:02 PM

We used to have a lumberyard like that in Harrodsburg, but they couldn't compete with Lowes. I almost cried the day they closed! Good to know they haven't all been run out of business.

Don's seem to be doing fine, and they'll get my lumber business from now on.  He told me Lowes comes to Don's to get 18' lumber!  When I called Lowes & found they didn't carry 18', they said they could "special order" it for me! LOL

• GTTinkerer, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3368 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 04:36 PM

I have not had any luck with Lowe's lumber. it is some terrible, knotty, warped, and twisted stuff. A few years back we had to go through 8 pallets of 2x4s to get 25 good ones and through one pallet of 6x6's to get one good one. Too much work for me paying to do it.

• olcowhand, Craig., HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#3369 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 04:43 PM

Some of what I got at Lowes a few weeks ago promptly warped after putting up.  I think I'm done with them for lumber.  Don's is the place for me now.

• GTTinkerer, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3370 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 05:03 PM

I agree! Lowes lumber is the worst!

#3371 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:41 AM

Stress levels increasing every day.  Somatic cell count (mastitis) in the milk keeps spiraling upward despite all testing, treating, and beating my head against concrete.  This is reaching a severe critical point.  I may have to sell most of the herd & buying replacements....that or go out of the dairy business.  The bad part is we are SO close to getting all debt paid off, and now it'll be going back in debt.

Josh found another with bad mastitis last night, and there is another this morning, but I didn't catch which cow.  It is between 6 that I wrote their numbers down, so we'll find her tonight.  This battle is wearing me down.

• GTTinkerer, Craig., sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#3372 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 07:42 AM

Oh, and before I could even get out of the parlor this morning, Teresa called & needed my help.  A weaned calf that hadn't been doing well was down.  Got her out of the group & gonna try to save her, but it isn't looking good at this point.

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3373 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 08:03 AM

I feel for you, Daniel! A never ending struggle to keep things going!

#3374 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 05:00 PM

Corn is twisting again, so that last 1/10"+ of rain is gone.  No chance of rain till Sunday, then only 40%, and 60% Monday.  Our corn isn't even tassling except for a scattered few, so we're FAR better off at the moment than other's earlier planted corn that is silking right now.  This every year drought is getting quite old.  With only needing one pit filled with silage this year, we were really counting on a good crop year so we'd have grain to sell.  Right now it's a crap shoot either way, but definitely not promising.  

Monday I will be sampling cow milk again.  Gonna have to sell possibly up to 20 cows of the 48 that will be in the milking herd after I haul off 3 culls tomorrow morning.  One has a bad hip, one just stays in poor health, and one chronic mastitis that I already know must go.  I found a guy with 100 dry/milking/close-up heifers that guarantees no bad quarters, but they will cost at least $600 to $700 higher than what I'll get for my cull cows.  So I'm getting ready to lay out $7,000 to $15,000, possibly more, depending on how the test results come back.  We're not really in a position right now to quit dairy, so we have to bite the bullet & get things in better shape around here.  Oh well, enough of my belly aching about that.

Tomorrow after taking off the cull cows, I'm heading to my steel place for a steel I-beam 16' long to form the main bulkhead over the new garage main door.  Because we had to raise the grade for the floor, to keep the roof of the shop the same height as the existing shed, there is only 11" above the door opening to the trusses.  Wood isn't enough alone, so in between the 2x12's, there will be an 8 1/4" tall by 5 1/4" steel I-beam to hold the weight.  Ordered it cut today so it'll be waiting for me.  I'll weld 3/8" plate on the ends so I can bolt it to the 6x6 posts.

• Craig., KennyP, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#3375 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Corn here isn't even knee high yet except in the sand flats where it got dry enough they planted in late April but have to irrigate normally by mid June. We had 7 inches of rain above normal for May, broke even for normal in June. July looks to be another above normal record month too  right now. Just got 3.3 inches of rain Monday and Tuesday.

Putting up extra wood this fall too. Weather guy on local TV station said experts expecting another Polar vortex winter here.

AndI though keeping bees is getting impossible to keep doing too.

:D   Al

• Craig. and oldedeeres have said thanks