• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Back hurt bad this morning, but around here, one has to work no matter what....almost.  I think it's been 26 years since I took an entire day off due to sickness or injury.  That was when I ran a 105F fever for 3 or 4 days straight....and I just didn't give a dang! 

Gonna lay low till afternoon chores.  I'm sooooo looking forward to sleeping till 8am or so tomorrow morning.

• Craig. and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3347 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 07:26 AM

For some time, I only took Bayer Back & Body for the aches. Tried some Aleve and it does just as good, but does make me a bit drowsy when it first starts working.

• olcowhand said thank you

#3348 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 07:38 AM

Once again I will express my feelings on dairy farming as I told my dad about 57 years ago.

No way I am wanting to get up at 4:00 am in the morning to pull tits on a cow . Yup dad wanted them washed & stripped before the milker was attached.  this was long before all the fancy manure handling stuff came into voge too. In the spring summer and early fall I would load a wheel borrow and wheeled it out side up a ramp and dump into a Massey Harris # 11 spreader  we had just gotten new to retire the old broken down horse stuff we had been using. In the winter I wheeled it out and dumped in a big pile I would get to hand load in the spreader when the barn yard Dried up in the spring. I took on the barn cleaning and feeding to get out of the milking chore along with other extra chores.

I am a night worker Mom used to have a fit cause I would still be out working a field up for planting at 2:00 AM and needing to be ready to catch the school bus at 6:00.

I was 14 when dad gave me a heifer from one of his best brown Swiss cows. When she was old enough I got her bread to a red angus Sold the brown Swiss heifer to my brother and kept adding to the red angus line much to dad distain. I had 17 when I was drafted in 1966 and sold the lot.

Dad sold all the cows and dairy stuff when my brother got drafted in 1968. We just cropped farmed after that which suited me fine as I had got a factory job after the army stint.

Farming is hard work and my hat is off to all them that want to bust their humps for the low crappy pay.

Best thing I have heard recently is the Dodge truck ad with Paul Harvey about farming.

:D   Al

• olcowhand, GTTinkerer, Craig. and 2 others have said thanks

#3349 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 07:47 AM

Back is worse this morning, but at least it's my day off. I'm hoping it loosens up after a while.  If not, I won't be doing much of anything today.

• Craig. and trowel have said thanks

#3350 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Yeah, good, go easy and slow, don't want to make it any worse then it is.

Must of been from the building of the shed, hot shower and some heat pad or cream.

• Craig. said thank you

#3351 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 08:46 AM

It's definitely in a muscle, but it's loosening up fine at this point.  Gonna take some Ibuprofin, then head out for a while for some GT shop time.

Between stretching to reach ornery cows in the parlor, then the dragging/raking of the gravel,that's the 2 main things that got me.

Usually it's near my left shoulder blade, but this time it's about 8" straight below.

• Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3352 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Yesterday I got another reminder why dairy farming stinks. Bought a gallon of 2 % which means 98% of the butter fat has been removed at 2.79 on sale.

Bet the dairy farmer is lucky to see a whole dollar bill for a gallon out of his tank to the dairy that processes it for sale in stores.

I have all kinds of elder moments but seems like my dad got a little dime per hundred pounds in 1969.

Hope your back gets better. I did some thing to mine one year while working at unloading a big log from the equipment trailer. Was so bad I crawled to the house on hands and knees. Spent a week in bed on a heat pad and lots of muscle relaxers.

:D  Al

• oldedeeres said thank you

#3353 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 07:30 AM

Actually, the 2% has less than 1/2 the fat removed.  Holsteins average somewhere around 3.5% butterfat content, with Jerseys over 4%.  The 2% milk designates it's total fat content, not that 98% has been removed.  Most people do think 98% has been removed, but that would give you whey, or maybe not even that....almost just whitish water.

• GTTinkerer, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#3354 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 08:14 AM

I drink my milk skim!

Have you ever tried those icey hot patches?  Those are supposed to work pretty well!

#3355 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:20 AM

Milking is done, hay tarp secured over the rolled hay.  All cows, plus bred heifers locked up for vet check.  Vet is bringing tranquilizer for the CRAZY heifer.  She'd kill you if she had half a chance!  She scares me...a lot!  Gonna do our best to get her on a trailer & out of here!   Josh got the other silage pit opened up this morning.  So far, so good, but that heifer has lost me sleep the last couple of nights.  Trying to plan how to get her loaded safely (for us) has been straining my brain.

Herd mastitis is beginning to weigh me down.  No matter what I do, it gets worse instead of better.  About at the end of my rope with it.   May end up throwing in the towel, but I hate to do that.  Guess we keep trying.

• Craig., KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3356 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:29 AM

Oh, and some of our corn is twisting from the extreme dry conditions.  We only got 1/10" yesterday, and all the rain split this morning, half going north, half going south of us.  No rain today so far, and not looking good for any later in the day.  I pray things change and we get some much needed rain.  This scenario is getting old year after year.  Hard to keep one's spirits up.  Crop is still ok at this point, but the last few years has taken our hopes & expectations down several notches.   Couple this with all the family health issues, and it gets heavy on the mind.   Sorry for the rant....just worn down a bit.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#3357 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 11:11 AM

Well, not a good morning.  Crazy heifer caught in head-locks, vet gave it enough to put down a 2,000lb animal, (she's around 1,500) and she slammed her head around till she threw the headlock open.  I even had a sack of gravel on the top of the lock to prevent the locks from flying up, but she hit it so hard the sack of gravel got tossed.  She then went through the wooden corral like it wasn't there.  30 minutes later, she's across the creek where I can't get a tractor, and she's still not down!  She is beyond crazy....

Told Kevin, my vet, to go onto his next job, as we're out of luck here.  I am close to just putting a bullet between her eyes.....seriously & literally.  I am calling my local butcher to see if he could work her up, or if she'd even be suitable.  Nutty cows I hear can be tough as shoe leather.  I just know she's too dangerous to mess with unless she's knocked out cold.

• GTTinkerer, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#3358 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 11:17 AM

Holy Cow! Be careful!
  • olcowhand, GTTinkerer and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3359 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 11:31 AM

Holy Cow! Be careful!

Quite the contrary....she's a DEVIL COW!  And she's not gonna be alive much longer.

• GTTinkerer, Craig. and KennyP have said thanks

#3360 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 11:39 AM

LOL 😈 that sounds like the right plan to me!